Author Topic: 2010 Edition of the Governor Mod  (Read 191858 times)

Reply #30February 28, 2010, 08:49:58 am

8v-of-fury

Re: 2010 Edition of the Governor Mod
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 08:49:58 am »
My engine is bone a bone stock '81. When I do this mod in the near future, (After I get an EGT) I will be sure to take some performance runs at Stock everything, Stock intake and exhaust and fuel screw with gov mod, Mod the intake stock exhaust and fuel screw with gov mod, then modded everything.. Intake, Exhaust, Gov, Fuel Screw, Maybe even Timing Advance Mod ;)

Reply #31February 28, 2010, 12:51:25 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 12:51:25 pm »

That would be very cool.
I've had the thought several times of a performance database.  VW publishes acceleration numbers in
seconds for these things, we ought to be able to put together a table of like data with mods and trans ratio
and tire size, elevation, etc, etc.  It'd be handy I think.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #32February 28, 2010, 12:57:38 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:38 pm »
Thats a super idea, start a thread about it. Really. Like ask people to go out and do a bunch of performance oriented drives.. get them to tell you their entire setup, and put it in the FAQ's.

I probably won't be doing it anytime soon, I need to get an EGT first ;) Don't wanna start my own metal forgery lol

Reply #33March 01, 2010, 01:45:19 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 01:45:19 am »

That would be very cool.
I've had the thought several times of a performance database.  VW publishes acceleration numbers in
seconds for these things, we ought to be able to put together a table of like data with mods and trans ratio

That would be interesting to see........'course, some people's 52HP rabbits are much faster than other people's 52HP rabbits........
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #34March 01, 2010, 10:37:16 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »

That would be very cool.

That would be interesting to see........'course, some people's 52HP rabbits are much faster than other people's 52HP rabbits........

Yeah, it'd require no small amount of honesty and consistency.  And what alllllways happens is someone who thinks there's is a lot
faster than it actually is ends up fudging stuff and it all craps out.  I guess maybe after awhile we could establish a "normal" range.
Hmm.. 

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #35March 18, 2010, 10:51:44 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »
Well I did the Gov Mod today, I was doing an oil change and thought "I shouldn't..........but I will" so I did :P.

Took about 15-20 minutes, shimmed it with a thin nut and thin washer so about 3/16". I didn't mark the lever on top but it has lots of tick marks with one correct one so I got it right after only a couple trys, first try was gonna be full power so I had to shut it off quick.

I'll let you all know how it turns out ;D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #36March 19, 2010, 03:35:42 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 03:35:42 am »
My pump was set up like this http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=21600.0 one spline off, and doing the gov mod I put it back on the right spline.

It's weird, I used to have good bottom end power with very little pedal but lots of smoke, now I gotta floor it to get that much umph. Also the smoke did thin way out at high rpm.

But it doesn't smoke half as bad at low rpm yet continues pulling fairly hard 'til the end, I let off at about 4800rpm.

At full pedal there is a wisp of smoke throughout the rpm range and the EGT's only get up to 1150F instead of 1250+F (it only went that high at low rpm).

Reply #37March 19, 2010, 01:41:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
So..

Happy  :D

or

Not Satisfied  >:(

lol, did you notice if it were much more profitable over Andrew's link? Better power throughout, instead of just at the top?

Reply #38March 19, 2010, 02:48:30 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 02:48:30 pm »
It's been so long since it was setup stock that it's hard to tell :-\, it seems like Andrew's link made better power in the low speeds but that could just be because I have to floor it now to get the same affect.

I think I like this better than with the lever on the stock splines and the fuel screw screwed in, now I can get a consistent idle but still have full fueling up top.

And though I really enjoy being able to smoke lots like Andrews thing it's nice to not worry about egts as much.

So overall I like it, I don't really spend much time at high rpm anyway but you never know, this might change that!!! ;D

Reply #39March 19, 2010, 06:40:33 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
The two adjustments/modifications are for two different purposes.  The governor mod affects when the governor starts to cut fuel, the adjustment of the lever to shaft orientation changes the amount of max fuel you can have with it still able to idle.  Adjustment of the governor should be used in conjunction with adjustment of the shaft to lever orientation.

So you're saying I should advance the lever one spline like it was before I did the gov mod? Or only if I want more smoke?

Reply #40March 19, 2010, 07:18:39 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
So you're saying I should advance the lever one spline like it was before I did the gov mod? Or only if I want more smoke?

What did I miss? 
Mentat Text Two

Reply #41March 19, 2010, 09:35:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
So basically, the governor mod should be done on every pump;) whereas the other method Andrew posted should only be done if you want more fuel throughout the entire rpm range..

Andrew thanks for cpearinf this up :)

I need money! I want to do this mod so badly! I need an egt gauge, before I do anything.

Reply #42April 01, 2010, 01:39:18 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »
So basically, the governor mod should be done on every pump;) whereas the other method Andrew posted should only be done if you want more fuel throughout the entire rpm range..

I need money! I want to do this mod so badly! I need an egt gauge, before I do anything.

buy prothes... it works fine. the range is just a little stupid high.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #43April 01, 2010, 02:22:37 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:37 pm »

buy prothes... it works fine. the range is just a little stupid high.

*still doesnt own an EGT gauge*

havent burnt down an engine yet, but then again, i usually have way more than enough air for the fuel im burning.

Reply #44April 02, 2010, 03:15:37 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 03:15:37 am »
This is true... i can't get mine into the danger zone if i tried but it IS a good indication at how much fuel im burning at lower rpm.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

S-PAutomotive.com