S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Compound turbo or Bi-turbo set ups  (Read 19597 times)

Reply #90January 31, 2010, 10:47:16 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Compound turbo or Bi-turbo set ups
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2010, 10:47:16 am »
compound+spoolvalve u should have no trouble

That's what i think too. The valve is a must though. or else nothing is going to happen.
I also need to increase the fueling somehow. I can't afford a Gilles Pump. (not even close)

maybe not, the first turbo is going to be making more air move through your engine and spooling the second turbo much faster.  a spool valve could make it too fast send ur head flying.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #91January 31, 2010, 10:55:29 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:29 am »
people use these on civics...

Civics flow more air than any VW diesel.

the high pressure wastegate opens and the high pressure turbo effectively freewheels.
Thats not how compounds work, they share the load of compressing the air. If you feed 15psi into the high pressure turbo, the HP turbo will multiply that by whatever ratio its set to produce.
What you're describing is a sequential system where the LP turbo completely takes over. That would require a bypass on the inlet side to equalize pressure on both sides of the small turbo's compressor and a large wastegate to flow the exhaust around the turbine.

neither one of you are completely right...

ok, so when the drive pressure is too much on the high pressure turbo, the wastegate opens, and starts dumping the spare exhaust at the low pressure turbo. (but keeps the HP turbo spinning still) the turbo doesnt freewheel, its still spinning and making boost, the wastegate is just partially open too. its still a compount setup. if it had all the valves like you are talking, then it would be a sequential setup.

Reply #92January 31, 2010, 09:05:26 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2010, 09:05:26 pm »
I'm confident that with the right plumbing and exhaust flow out of the 1.9L head the T3 will still boost the engine just the same as it does RIGHT NOW and that with a proportional spool valve (meaning it would open and close with a lever) I might be able to control the hx35 and the added exhaust restriction of the second exhaust turbine.

the auto CAD drawing is coming very slowly, it's very time consuming to get it right.

If anyone has a CAD drawing of our head or a turbo i'd greatly appreciate a copy :D
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #93February 01, 2010, 07:02:09 am

OM617

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:09 am »
neither one of you are completely right.
Nope. Read it again.

S-PAutomotive.com