Author Topic: Order of modifications  (Read 1563 times)

January 17, 2010, 03:25:41 pm

SheldonZ28

Order of modifications
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Looking for a little insight on the order i should do modifications to my golf.

Im going to be taking the car on a 9,000km road trip, from toronto-vancouver & back in 4 weeks, and id like to do some modifications prior to make sure the car is running in tip-top shape & running the most efficient it can.

The car is a '96 Golf 1.9 AAZ IDI, it has 210,000km's on it. Ive put over 30,000km's on it in the last year, without even the slightest of a hiccup, but i want to make sure the car is perfect for this trip.

The car needs its clutch replaced, im planning on using a OEM replacement from VW ($172 is my price on it) and im going to buy a turbo rebuild kit off ebay to rebuild the turbo since there is a little bit of shaft play & im nervous it might be sucking a bit of oil past the compressor wheel.

Anyways, im used to working with GM's LS Series V8's, so these diesels are like a different language to me im still working on learning how to build these cars.

My planned list of modifications is:
Complete 2.5" Custom turbo back exhaust (Ill build this myself)
Front mount intercooler (Ill build this myself also)
EGT Gauge
Boost Gauge

Eventually ill put in a boost pin & start playing with my fueling, but im thinking for this trip id rather not do any of that until i get back where if i have an issue im not 4500km's from home.

Anyways, my question right now is regards to the EGT gauge. If im just doing exhaust & intercooler, do i need to monitor my EGT's? Am i likely okay, and can put a EGT in when i get back and start bigger mods?

Next question, if i just did exhaust only modifications, is that going to raise my IAT's? Is it a good idea to pair an intercooler with the exhaust modifications?

Appreciate the help!

Reply #1January 17, 2010, 11:43:41 pm

foxracer1

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: Order of modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:41 pm »
If your not modding the fuel system you'll be fine with no egt gauge. Adding a intercooler will only help reduce egts provided its a well designed system. The only reason i would add the egt gauge is for informational purposes. Since you'll have plenty of time to study the gauge under various driving conditions.

Do you have in and out shaft play on the turbo?
84 4dr Rabbit 1.6 N/A sold to friend
86 Jetta TD getting raced out AHU 02A
98 Jetta TDI Malone tune stg 3
91 S10 305 TPI T56
86 S10 2WD Prerunner project.

Now offering turbo rebuilds. HP or stock. Any turbo you have i can rebuild it for ya.
Reseal injection pumps PM for det

Reply #2January 18, 2010, 12:05:35 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Order of modifications
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:05:35 am »
Coming out for the Olympics here, eh?

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the fueling before the trip - much better to do it afterwards given the short timeline between then and now.  EGT gauge isn't strictly necessary if you're leaving the fueling alone, but it's something I personally would like to have before that trip.  Going through the Rockies you're going to do a lot of climbing - if you have the gauge you know for sure you're not killing the car, without it you just hope you're not.  Actually if I PERSONALLY did the FMIC I think I'd be hard pressed NOT to mess with fueling, even though the whole time I'd be telling myself to leave it alone... If you have the turbo off for a rebuild then that is the absolute best time to install the EGT probe since you wouldn't have to worry about getting metal filings in your turbo from drilling the manifold.

Biggest things I'd do before that drive:

- Tranny fluid, if you haven't done it in recent memory - last thing you want to do is find out you were low and cook your 5th gear
- Make sure your belts and hoses are happy - there's a lot of that drive where you're a couple hundred km from just about anywhere
- Change your oil before you go, and probably again while you're here in Van

With respect to the turbo - they should have SOME shaft play, that's actually a good thing, it means the bearings aren't all carboned up.  It's what direction the play is in that matters...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Fixmyvw.com