Author Topic: There must be a better way to attach wires to glowplugs!!  (Read 17775 times)

Reply #30January 17, 2010, 09:57:46 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: There must be a better way to attach wires to glowplugs!!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:46 am »
nice tip, I never even thought of that.

I don't find it works very well. The heated element is so far away from the end of the injector that most of the heat has dispersed into the head.
Tyler

Reply #31January 17, 2010, 11:35:01 am

ldeikis

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:01 am »
Step One: Cut the big red wire to the bus bar, (or whatever is powering your glow plugs)

Step Two: Install this http://www.quickstart-ether.com/products.php

Step Three: Enjoy till it blows up..  It won't take long

Farm I work for has a couple of older International (a 784 and Hydro84 for anyone who cares) that came from International with an ether inject system but NOT glowplugs.  It's got a funny little bracket where you put a regular, from-the-auto-parts-store can of ether (with the head pulled off) and tighten it into a rubber cap.  Then there's a button on the console that triggers a solenoid and sprays that ether into the intake.  These systems are mentioned in the owners manual and everything.  Makes a huge difference starting in cold weather (neither of these machines is in peak health), but it always seemed like a kind of an eyesore of bad engineering...  like the minibike I had as a kid that had the choke broken off, so I just carried around a can of starting fluid and squirted it through a pin hole in the foam air filter ;D

Luke
81 Rabbit 1.6 N/A

Reply #32January 17, 2010, 08:59:53 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
Alot of older diesels, especially on tractors and construction machinery, had no glow plugs and used ether to start..  My old Oliver OC-96 crawler has doo dad on the dash that you fill with liquid ether and use a hand pump on top to shoot it in the intake..  We had a John Deere 2010 (?) that had the button like the IH you speak of..  Luckily it was healthy enough to never need it...

Reply #33January 17, 2010, 11:44:55 pm

Peter

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:55 pm »
35 yrs ago while working on a ranch in Colorodo, the tractors they used where already at that time very old..you started the tractor with gas and then switched over to diesel

Reply #34January 18, 2010, 02:03:43 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:43 am »
Wasn't it IH that had the engines with a carburetor and spark plugs on one side, and an IP and injectors on the other???

Reply #35January 19, 2010, 01:03:52 pm

ldeikis

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03:52 pm »
There were Farmall/IH machines like that, but I don't think it was at all unique to them.   I believe a lot of manufacturers worked that way?

Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Luke
81 Rabbit 1.6 N/A

Reply #36January 19, 2010, 11:17:59 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »
I think that is called a pup motor (sp). It sounds horribly overly complicated but very clever
Tyler

Reply #37January 19, 2010, 11:36:56 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »
If nothing else, it would be fun going to the parts counter to get spark plugs for your diesel..   ;D 

I'm most familiar with IH varieties of these..  I think they made them from '32 - '56.. They were actually very reliable and durable.. More or less it was IH's response to Cat's diesels that used "pony" motors for starting.. 

IIRC The earlier Cat's pony motor was not intended to be run very long, so there was no means of cooling built into them.. They only had a crude splash oiling system as well..  In extreme cold it was sometimes necessary to run the pony motor longer than it was designed to be, and thus burning it up..  IN the later 30's Cat finally routed coolant from the diesel to allow the pony motor to run longer, and improved the oiling system as well....  Routing the pony motor's exhaust pipe though the intake was a brilliant upgrade as well..  Still, you had to be cautious about how long you worked that little pony motor...

I've seen alot of these old rigs (Especially Amish ones) that have had the original pony motor removed and replaced with a small air cooled engine (typically the little OHV Hondas)  I gotta say, it's real darn nice for starting a freshly rebuilt engine that hasn't had the fuel system bled yet...  :)

And there's our history lesson of the day....

Reply #38January 22, 2010, 11:43:41 pm

Makebeleaf

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:41 pm »
For the glow plug install I take a ratcheting wrench and stick a small bit of paper towel over the opening, then push the nut into the wrench where it is held in place by the bit of paper.
Lower the wrench in and onto the GP. Stick a screwdriver against the back of the nut for a little pressure and then ratchet the nut on tight. Take off the wrench and the bit of paper falls out or sticks to the wrench....Much easier this way.

Reply #39January 23, 2010, 10:54:04 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 10:54:04 am »
For the glow plug install I take a ratcheting wrench and stick a small bit of paper towel over the opening, then push the nut into the wrench where it is held in place by the bit of paper.
Lower the wrench in and onto the GP. Stick a screwdriver against the back of the nut for a little pressure and then ratchet the nut on tight. Take off the wrench and the bit of paper falls out or sticks to the wrench....Much easier this way.

grease works too, and i know everyone that works on a VW diesel, has grease.

Reply #40January 24, 2010, 11:03:01 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 11:03:01 am »

grease works too, and i know everyone that works on a VW diesel, has grease.

LOL and grease covered at least once. Vaseline works too.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #41February 16, 2010, 11:11:23 am

somolovitch3

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 11:11:23 am »
A # 6 ring terminal stuck into a 1/4 spade unit soldered toghther? (Allin 121 ga wire size) Nut to blade.

Or a 1/4 " spade cromped/ soldered to the threds of the GP ? I know the make 90* units.

Ah yes, hand start little moter to "try" and start big moter, and hydralics from hell.....o. Big loverly yellow monsters  d-9 anyone
Byte Me, Gently
If Ignorance is Bliss, You MUST be Orgasmic!
81 Caddy (Trk)
84 Gti (DumBunny)

Reply #42February 16, 2010, 06:20:35 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
I think that is called a pup motor (sp). It sounds horribly overly complicated but very clever

Two different things.
A pup motor setup is basicly a small gas engine used as a starter motor for the bigger one. I've only seen them on CAT diesels. Later ones use the small engine to heat the diesel as well as to crank it over.

The other setup is to completely separate systems to fuel the engine. Intrnational super mta comes to mind. Start on gas and switch to diesel when it's warm enough to "diesel". Also remember seeing it on a 1928 Mcormick Deering......

Reply #43February 17, 2010, 04:26:20 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 04:26:20 pm »
The other setup is to completely separate systems to fuel the engine. Intrnational super mta comes to mind. Start on gas and switch to diesel when it's warm enough to "diesel". Also remember seeing it on a 1928 Mcormick Deering......

Seen this on a Cat Dozer too.. open a valve that makes the combustion chambers bigger, allowing the compression ratio to come down to like 100psi so it can be started with spark plugs and gasoline, and it has an ignition system.. then when it warms up a little to levers and shes back up to 500psi compression and injecting diesel and not sparking at TDC lol. Very cool idea.

Reply #44February 17, 2010, 11:34:14 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:14 pm »
I don;t think they made the chamber larger, they just allowed a compression leak..  I think cat would crack the exhaust valves open slightly..  John Deere and Case would have petcocks from the chamber...    JD even used the petcocks on the 2cyl gassers.. Of course the hey no crank or starter, you grabbed the flywheel and gave er a rip..

IIRC JD used some pony (or pup) motors on crawlers and the JD 60 diesel..