Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

disco pump, timing

(1/11) > >>

oldskool rich:
finaly got a disco MTDI running, but doesnt run very well, think its set up wrong or sumit maybe i got the timing wrong, i set it to 0.84, can anyone confirm if this is right? max fuel screw is all the way in and it starts but runns like a bag of *** with loads of white smoke

anyone know what might be going wrong, revs go up and down, up and down without touching throttle, it drove for about a mile, was realy quite fast, my A6 couldnt keep up :o. i had to change the seal on the throttle shaft and whilst i was doin it i swapped the gov spring for the one off an aaz. im sure that pump has alot to giv

any help will be much appreciated and once done i will document the full journey

blackdogvan:
Geez my memory sucks Rich but I believe Giles told me 0.95, for mine.

monkey magic:
Mine is timed to 1.65 edit:1.54, as somebody on here said that is what they are timed to on the landy engine. Though down on power, it runs and drives fine.

Cant get my head round whether or not it should be timed as per landy spec or vw spec, makes sense it should be as per vw. Giles says on his website 0.95 I believe.

Blackdogvan, is yours a disco pump too? I'm keen to hear the official line on correct timing for these units.

Dougslug:
I have seen 0.95 for the earlier tdi's and 1.05 for ALH onwards
Thats where I would start
My thoughts are that if the IP is well set up then getting a good idle should be a matter of
setting up the static timing right....I may be wrong though!
Also I think that by screwing in your max fuel screw to the limit, you are narrowing the opperation or spectrum of the accelerator
on the primary lever, therby affecting high and low rpm running

svenakela:
I'm pretty sure the Land Rover timing is more correct than the VW setting. The timing is related to the pump cam, and that is specific to the pump.

My pump arrives any day now. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version