S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: loud turbo whine losing oil thru turbo  (Read 6752 times)

Reply #30January 25, 2010, 10:54:04 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: loud turbo whine losing oil thru turbo
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:04 am »
whenever i shift second gear, and im in the boost, i just blow the tires off, no chirp involved. just instant traction loss once i get back on the smoke pedal and boost builds back up.

for some reason i thought you were running no intercooler. but that musta been days ago...

those are narrow tires too. your car should just melt the tires off. it has more boost, a bigger turbo, and a better head than my engine.

Reply #31January 25, 2010, 12:30:40 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes but i don't ever see 28 psi... 22 is my max and i gotta be flooring it.
Frequently see 10-15 though.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #32January 25, 2010, 01:28:33 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »
you should be able to make way more boost than me, im running a little turbo, but im just DUMPING the fuel at it. does your car smoke black at all? my car smokes black like a mother when i take off. you should be able to make over 35 psi with the T3... easily. josh is making 44 psi boost with a K24, and thats supposed to be comparable in size to a T3.you have an AAZ head also, so at the same boost pressures as me, you will be flowing alot more air. turn up your fuel a little bit till it starts smoking like a freight train.

Reply #33January 25, 2010, 01:32:07 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »
My fuel screw is turned in as far as it will go :(
and the LDA is set to max fueling.

The wastegate opens at 22psi. And i can't access it to jam it shut.

Maybe my IP needs a lift pump?

oh, and my car barely smokes... i can sometimes see a bit behind me on a sunny day if i am stopped and i just stomp the pedal. OR i can see it in peoples headlights behind me if im flooring it up a hill.

with the boost connected right and im not losing any pressure anywhere i'll never see egt's over 1000
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:35:35 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #34January 25, 2010, 01:43:51 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:51 pm »
yea, thats not near enough fuel. your wastegate is disconnected and it still opens at 22 psi? take a spring and hook it to the wastegate to hold a little more pressure against the valve. not a huge stiff spring, just something to aid in holding it closed. might take some trial and error to get the right spring for the job. you want to make it so that the waste gate can still function, but not till a higher pressure. it has an arm and exposed actuator rod right? not internal like a KKK? that should make you be able to get more boost, but you need more fuel to make more boost, and from the sounds of it, you dont have near enough. you should be able to smoke out a whole intersection when you take off. just blackness... EVERYWHERE! you should be able to cut your exhaust with a knife when you take off hard.

do you still have the collar on the fuel screw? when i removed mine, it made such a difference.

if you had enough fuel that you had a haze coming out the tail pipe under boost, you would have LOTS MORE power.

right now, you have way enough air, and not enough diesel to burn it all.

Reply #35January 25, 2010, 02:17:28 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 02:17:28 pm »
Yes, under boost the exhaust is perfectly clear.
The collar is removed... i can turn the fuelscrew IN until it physically can not move in any further...

The waste gate on my turbo is internal. just pressure lines went into it that i plugged. My waste gate is opening at 22 due to manifold pressure.

My exhaust is also split out both sides of the car so that likely makes it look a lot clearer.
Still reckon its not enough fuel.
Driving like a lunatic (with a heavy foot) i still get 40 (at least) mpg...
Ed

Reply #36January 25, 2010, 02:42:30 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 02:42:30 pm »
yea, 40 mpg is too much. you need to turn your fuel up a bunch, some how... i get about 27-30 when i drive like an idiot. but i have LOTS and LOTS of power, well lots for a 1.5 bottom end. like i say, you should see black streams out your tail pipes. and like you mentioned, a lift pump cant hurt really. plus it helps out greatly when you run out of diesel. 22 psi should be pretty fun if you had more fuel.

under boost, back when i first put my new pump and infectors in my engine, it would smoke BLACK until around 15 psi, then clean up to almost nothing (light haze) after that, just sh*t and get.

Reply #37January 25, 2010, 02:51:55 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 02:51:55 pm »
I'm willing to bet there is something horribly wrong with my injectors and/or IP.
I'd love a bigger pump head...

one of my injectors leaks a bit? but i doubt that would make a significant difference. I really need some driving videos... I'll try and slap something together on Tuesday.
Ed

Reply #38January 26, 2010, 02:42:52 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »
Hey Rabbit on Roids,
I drove around a bit and paid a lot more attention to my foot and the boost.
Definately doesn't climb up as fast as it used to (when i just built it) but i think that's because of the IC.
The needle drops faster than it used to though and i noticed it held boost longer with the IC.
I must still have some sort of leak somewhere.
I also tried driving like a looney and it would light the tires in 1st on dry pavement. I'd put it in 1st, let the clutch out without touching the gas and once it was just chugging along on just the idle i'd put my foot to the floor and it would accelerate kinda sluggish for like ... 1.5 seconds and then once the rpm was slightly higher the boost built and at about 6-8psi the tires start to slip, 10 they kind of growl on the ground and 15-22 they are just spinning freely...
a quick shift into 2nd with my foot back on the floor will give a moderate squeeling as the tires chirp and spin till im going 50km/hr then it just pulls hard up to 70.
Never looked too hard at the EGT's but i knew the grease i sealed the turbo to the manifold with was burning up reaaallll good. Could smell it amongst the diesel.

Also, that 1 injector leaks REAL bad... out of a broken return line i JB welded (its at the end of the line so it didn't matter. I just need to break off that JB and re-do it. Idealy with a welder... but that might royally screw with the injector.

Oh right you live in Oregon... 50kmh is 31mph. 70kmh is 43.5.
And i shift out of 1st when the speedo says 40 (25mph) dunno what rpm that is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:46:27 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed

Fixmyvw.com