S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDI into Transporter  (Read 13068 times)

Reply #30February 13, 2010, 12:04:29 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

Re: TDI into Transporter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:29 pm »
Well it all started out as rebuilding my current AAZ into an mTDI. An abandoned mTDI build came up for sale near me so I grabbed it to build up & keep my van on the road. Turned out to be seized with broken rings in 2 cylinders (glad i pulled the head) so new rings & a line bore on the main & its good now. I was happy to find it because it is the exact same thing I was going to do with my AAZ. It has AAZ rods & crank, strong enough for the hp I hope to take out, 135hp/250ftlb. Its going in my 91 Vanagon using the 50 degree diesel mounts & bellhousing. Then I found 2 LR300 pumps on uk ebay, one was crap one perfect (got a refund on the bad one, great LR parts guy) & sent it to Giles for his tweaks. FYI he was REALLY excited about the LR 11mm pump performance on his test bench. 
The hold up now is finding time to install an air water IC setup, thin rad up front, core above my tranny & a VR6 aux coolant pump to run it.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #31February 18, 2010, 05:30:00 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »
Finally it seems I've found a seller that's trustable!
He got one Vento -95 and one Golf -96. Both are 1Z, the Vento engine is already out and he said it was working fine (180 000 km). The other one was starting but there's something with the turbo. It was not out, but I can take everything I want from it. So I'll simply take everything I can remove! :)

Reply #32February 21, 2010, 02:15:39 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
Finally! :)

Took a 2,5 hour drive through the crazy winter storm to the guy with the 1Z engines. He was really a nice guy, but he hates winter more than I do, so he rather gave me a good price on the stuff than helping me in the fekkin cold. :D
I had to do all the unmounting outside. The engine was already out but the gearbox was still on. The second engine was still in the car so I had to take the parts from there. -14 Celsius isn't too bad after all. Winter boots and a good jacket makes it all. I got a complete engine with pump and turbo, one head with all the stuff still on including the turbo, a 120 A generator, a filter box with the MAF and the inlet pipe, and last an intercooler with all the pipes from two cars. All that for less than US $366, or CAD $388.

You should see his Chrysler 300 -66 that was in the workshop, a real jaw dropper!

Yes, we do have winter:

Going home:

Reply #33February 22, 2010, 06:59:52 am

snuggle.pants

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 06:59:52 am »
Could you send pictures of the serpintine belt idler and how it mounts to the engine?  I need the idler for my engine and am trying to decide if the idler off a gasoline engine will work as they are more plentiful here in the recycling yards. 

It LOOKS cold in those pictures.  If it thinks about snowing here they shut everything down. 

Thanks Sven.

David K

Reply #34March 10, 2010, 05:36:39 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 05:36:39 pm »
Ok, you won't believe this - because it's F**KIN' unbelievable.
Was going to drive to the garage today with the VW, went out on the street just to realize it's stolen!
Who the hell steals a 28 years old a VW pickup?!

Reply #35March 11, 2010, 08:31:57 am

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:57 am »
Wow, sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Hope you have proper insurance.  Maybe luck will be on your side and it will be returned.  We had our old shop truck stolen years ago when thieves broke into our shop and needed a getaway vehicle for their "proceeds".  Well they drove 50 miles and stopped to put gas in the diesel truck and couldn't get it going- damn fools.  I always wondered how they got that old 6.9L IDI International engine going without the GPs in the middle of winter!  We got the truck back, and maybe you will too.

Reply #36March 11, 2010, 08:52:50 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:50 am »
I hope so, it was pretty hard to find a single cabin with a diesel. :(
There are only two diesels for sale at the moment, they are both cabin crews and at least 600 km away.
I really do hope I get it back. Here, over 90 % of stolen vehicles are found, so there's a good chance. I hope they don't wreck it though,
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:55:21 am by svenakela »

Reply #37March 19, 2010, 04:25:37 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 04:25:37 am »
She's back.

The Police called me yesterday and said the car was on a street not even a mile away!
The door lock is now unlockable with anything and the ignition key cylinder is ripped off. And they stole... ...the bloody battery!
F**kin druggies.
Why the hell did they drive 1000 m away to steel the battery, why not do it where it was parked and not damage the car?!

Now I'll remove the door locks and buy a remote controlled central locking instead, found 'em cheap on ebay. And a car alarm.

At least, soon back on track!

Reply #38March 20, 2010, 05:41:57 pm

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 05:41:57 pm »
Glad to hear you got your rig back.  Damage doesn't sound too bad either which is fortunate.  Maybe consider installing a remotely mounted kill switch too.

Reply #39March 22, 2010, 11:12:54 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Well, everything's not legal here...
South African Car Flamethrower

Reply #40April 25, 2010, 02:03:43 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
Got to do an update.

We've been working with the new garage for months but finally we have moved into the new place (It's eeh... ..kinda uge...). When we made all the walls, the pickup went many times to the brickyard. And daaarn they're loading! Here's a complete pallet of OSB board, almost 1.3 ton. The heaviest loading I did was 1.9 ton and still she went home like normal. Ok, it's a bloody slow vehicle, but with full load it keeps the same speed. :)

The AAP gear box is cleaned up, zinc primed and then painted. Nice to work with until it's into the pickup and way easier to keep clean later on. Now it's just waiting for the diesel bell housing.

Rims are cleaned as well. Did try to make them in our own sand blasting box but it took too long time. I'll send these to a company that will make it cheap. Then, black paint!

Finally, just ordered a central locking kit from eBay, time to fix the locks that the bloody druggies damaged. A new ignition key was fixed via a friends VW workshop. I'll use two locking motors for the doors and two for the hatches.
This was dirt cheap, and there are several with even lower price. In the UK though, but I'm sure you'll find them at ebay.com as well.

Reply #41May 10, 2010, 05:17:15 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »
Opened up the center hole in the front rims to accept the grease cup on the front hubs, and the diesel pump bracket as well. The pump is now going in like charm. It's really awkward to rig the bracket in the mill so I skipped the mount holes. I'll customize the pump instead I think, like the standard pump.

Picked up the wheels today from the sand blasting place. They will be really nice with the new paint. Pictures will come!

Reply #42May 12, 2010, 06:17:20 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:20 am »
Wheels are now coloured, I changed my mind and went for gray metallic instead. I'll clear coat them today. The wheel in the background is more realistic. Difficult colour to catch on a photo.

Test mounted the diesel pump with the bracket. The 1Z belt wheel is spot on. I have to switch the fuel outlets though, they are longer on the Disco pump.

Is this TDC on a 1Z?

http://switchamotor.blogspot.com/2010/05/wheel-fixin-part-ii-diesel-pump-testing.html

Reply #43July 27, 2010, 06:32:43 pm

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:43 pm »
Working, vacation, more working, and then a tiny spot of free time to get the engine running...
Hooked it all up and got it running today.

VW m-TDI with Landy pump

Reply #44July 29, 2010, 09:05:44 am

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 09:05:44 am »
Looking good.