Author Topic: You know what every mechanically inclined person hates??  (Read 5198 times)

Reply #15December 04, 2009, 10:35:38 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: You know what every mechanically inclined person hates??
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:35:38 pm »
Aren't you in the process of selling one? lol I've already done the hard stuff.. you'd just get to drive it lol.

OH! the pump head o ring.. the leak slowed by ~%66.6! It went from a drop every 4 seconds to a drop ever 12-13 seconds weird eh? lol

IT runs like a raped ape. I love diesels. I could be driving it right now if i really wanted.. but I'm just not ready to give up all the other goodies I already put in my other car lol. Stereo, subwoofers, lights in the trunk (awesome idea BTW), mk2 seats, mk3 wiper motor. I mean I can swap it all over.. but before the snow comes !?

Reply #16December 04, 2009, 10:49:14 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:14 pm »
Are you sure a 84 will have that style of adjuster? I've never seen that one before. I'm familiar with the wedge attached to a spring that you can't access with the drum installed.

The style in the ebay link was for the real old mk1's, the wedge style works perdy good. If they get too tight for some reason you just pop a lug bolt out, stick a screwdriver in the right spot and shove the wedge back up. ;D......everyone new that though. ::)
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #17December 04, 2009, 11:06:37 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 11:06:37 pm »
Are you sure a 84 will have that style of adjuster? I've never seen that one before. I'm familiar with the wedge attached to a spring that you can't access with the drum installed.

The style in the ebay link was for the real old mk1's, the wedge style works perdy good. If they get too tight for some reason you just pop a lug bolt out, stick a screwdriver in the right spot and shove the wedge back up. ;D......everyone new that though. ::)

It's always good to reiterate though lol. Yeah i was looking at that link thinking.. "what the hell are these for?!" haha I can't really think of what the problem is..

what were you getting at Tyler about the rotors being rusty? whats it bring to the table?

Reply #18December 04, 2009, 11:11:42 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 11:11:42 pm »

what were you getting at Tyler about the rotors being rusty? whats it bring to the table?

I just did some research.. would pitting on the rotors really reduce that much of braking power? It has some grooves in it.. no doubt they need replacing.. would they effect it enough to cause you to have push that much harder?

Reply #19December 04, 2009, 11:25:23 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:23 pm »
I would put my bet on the vacuum pump diaphragm being torn slightly. Pop the vac hose off and stick your finger over the end, it should have vacuum.

When it's running and you pump the brakes does it feel like after a pump or two the pedal gets harder to push? If so then vac pump. ;) Also brake fluid absorbs water so in the cold out it gets thick.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #20December 04, 2009, 11:48:59 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 11:48:59 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of rust impregnated pads not being able to grip the rotors. Although, if you haven't taken them apart your sliders are probably all seized up.
Tyler

Reply #21December 06, 2009, 07:52:26 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:26 pm »
impregnated pads

YOU SAID impregnated pads.. bwahaha.. I'm immature.... aren't I?  ;)

Yeah that does sound like what could be the problem. However on a sad note we did get 3-6" of snow today :( so this car is definitely parked until spring. I got it tucked all nice and cozy under a tarp :) at least it will be cozy.

thanks guys.

Oh hey.. Why would the pump head seal leak slow down? don't they usually get worse? it runs great.. so it will be as easy as pulling it out in the spring and it will be good to go.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:11:31 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #22December 07, 2009, 08:48:11 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 08:48:11 am »
Jer,

You know what is the worst about brakes? When the brake hardware kit comes in the right box for the car, but the bag of parts inside is for a different car. All but 2 springs can be used, so I had to soak and clean the little adjuster springs. They were coated in brake dust, and a little rusty, but they cleaned up fine. A little muriatic acid, a water bath, and a good bath in light machine oil overnight and they were almost as good as new. You forgot to mention one thing though, the only thing worse then brakes is transmission repair.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Fixmyvw.com