Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Autocross race update (bench racing)  (Read 9551 times)

June 25, 2004, 01:48:03 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Autocross race update (bench racing)
« on: June 25, 2004, 01:48:03 am »
Hey guys,

I've gone to 3 autocrosses so far this season, and so far I'm rocking.  :)

Check out the season results, I'm top in my class:
http://www.wwscc.org/event_results/2004/wwscc_championship04.html#IC

Compare to last year's class results for same club/class/competitors, where I didn't win this class even one time:
http://www.wwscc.org/event_results/2003/WWChampReport.html#IC

My most recent event (last sunday) I raced with a co-driver and it was really hot out and our run groups were short.  So we ended up running the car repeatedly one after the other, about as quick as we could switch drivers!  Anyway, I pulled a really good time on my first run (a 41.575) but a gate caught me by surprise and bam, got a 10 second penalty on that run.  Second run I missed an upshift to third (ouch) and got a clean 42.351.  On my third run or my fourth a missing cone spooked me, causing me to slow down.  But I wasn't sure so I didn't stop and point to it and get a re-run, just kept driving and came in slow.  By the third run the tires were getting quite greasy due to being overheated and it was worse in the fourth run, so generally got slower instead of faster like it usually works as I did more runs.  Next time I will add a water mister to my gear bag to keep the tire temps under control (didn't realize it would be so hot out!)  Anyway I ended up winning the class with the 42.351 by .3 second lead over 2nd place.
http://www.wwscc.org/event_results/2004/wwscc04-3.html#IC

But doing a little bench racing is fun... and I've got some evidence to support there is really some good potential in this turbo-diesel bunny now.  Basically if my tires didn't get greasy (if I had misted them down to keep them cool) and I kept getting faster improving on my first run by say 1 second over the course of my 4 runs (not entirely uncommon improvement), I'd have a 40.575, which would have been a really smoking time.  Compared to the PRO class where there are national champions running, and indexing my time by my SCCA class (FSP, a .813 factor) would have given me an indexed time of .813 x 40.575 = 32.987 in the pro class: ( http://www.wwscc.org/event_results/2004/wwscc04-3.html#PRO1 )  I'd have come in 1st place!  For a local event, it really doesn't get better than that!  :)  Anyway even if I'd only have run that 41.575 clean, and made zero improvement on my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runs... I'd still have trophied in the PRO class, also a very good achievement. (usually you can improve though by taking additional runs and learning how to drive it quicker)  So my Rabbit and I are getting faster!  :D

That's all for now - just a brief lil' update on the race season so far.

Reflections on a few modifications made so far this season you guys may be interested in:
* returned to the full-length exhaust system (terminating at the very rear of the car instead of a shortened system with a turn-down and outlet in the middle of the car after the shifter before the fuel tank.  Seems to have significantly beefed up the lower RPM range!  I have done some courses with pretty slow course elements yet I can leave it in 3rd all the time even through the slow parts, and yet the engine still doesn't feel like it is lugging like it used to with the short exhaust.  This is good setup and is also the strategy I wanted (run up to 3rd gear at the beginning of the course then just leave it in 3rd the whole rest of the way for a typical course.)

* fuel filter relocated in fender, and fixed broken exhaust turn-down blowing hot exhaust blowing on the fuel tank - seems to have really helped kick out more fuel more reliably.  You should see the smoke levels this thing is putting out now!  :lol:  It's actually a little much, I can SMELL and FEEL the exhaust in my eyes with the window rolled down under certain conditions.  I mean, how is the exhaust getting all the way back up from the rear outlet to where my face is?  I wouldn't mind adding a turn-down instead of a straight exhaust tip to try and get the exhaust blowing down and out into the air stream flowing under the bottom of the car to try and help with this.  Or maybe switch back to biodiesel.  I was planning on also turning it down (the fuel) a little bit, but more because the engine revvs don't return back down as quickly as I'd like than because of the smoking.  Not having downward rpm changes being responsive can make for difficult upshifting.

* alignment is improved.  My front camber bolts couldn't hold an alignment because the spring washers lost their "springyness."  So I changed the camber adjust hardware with all new, and now the car can hold a front alignment again, even cornering on race rubber at surely over 1 g's.  :)  I dialed out excessive negative camber in the front and added some grip up there, so much that I had to adjust my shock settings to keep the car from being so loose that it was hard to keep it from spinning out!  Then I added some rear camber just before this last event which I think was also an improvement, the car felt really neutral in the middle of a long stready-state sweeper turn where before it used to be more oversteer-y and I'd have to counter steer and couldn't fully use the fronts.  Turn-in remarkably doesn't seem to be adversely effected.  But I'm prepared with shock adjustments if needbe.

* brake bias is now adjustable and is improved.  I added an adjustable proportioning valve and am no longer locking up the fronts.  In fact, I have not yet locked up my tires at all when braking!  And I have barely adjusted the proportioning valve.  It's amazing.  Some additional grip no doubt came from dialing out some of the excessive negative camber up front.  Although not "great", I'd describe the brakes now as "working well" and "adequate."

* And of course a few weight reductions here and there (50 lbs worth - ditched the vacuum pump, brake booster, went to a small radiator without expansion tank, smaller lighter cooling fans, miniature alternator, etc), definitely help contribute to make the car a little quicker overall in acceleration, handling and braking.

Thanks for reading.  :)

Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #1June 25, 2004, 07:55:13 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
Re: Autocross race update (bench racing)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:55:13 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Hey guys,

I've gone to 3 autocrosses so far this season, and so far I'm rocking.  :)

I'll say!  Those are awesome results Jake!

http://www.wwscc.org/event_results/2004/wwscc04-3.html#IC

So is Scott Dawson your co-driver?  Two 81 VW Rabbits in the results, and Scott's listed as driving the GTD? :)

That's all for now - just a brief lil' update on the race season so far.

Awesome!  Keep 'em coming!

* fuel filter relocated in fender, and fixed broken exhaust turn-down blowing hot exhaust blowing on the fuel tank - seems to have really helped kick out more fuel more reliably.  

Lowering the temperature of the fuel does make a difference - when I was running the filter enxt to the rad the car would be an absolute dog off the line and idle would be noticeably lower.  Once I moved it to the inner fender I never had another problem.  The stock A1 filter location is ridiculous as well - right beside the turbo downpipe...!

* And of course a few weight reductions here and there (50 lbs worth - ditched the vacuum pump, brake booster, went to a small radiator without expansion tank, smaller lighter cooling fans, miniature alternator, etc), definitely help contribute to make the car a little quicker overall in acceleration, handling and braking.

Do you have to run with seats etc., or can you get away with a stripped interior?  I've often been amazed at how much difference running only a driver's seat makes in how the Scirocco accelerates and handles.

Thanks for reading.  :)

Don't thank us !  Thanks for writing it! :)

Reply #2June 25, 2004, 08:49:00 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 08:49:00 am »
great results jake. well done! very nice to see a mkI, and a TD at that, in the top spot in the class :D

thanks for the write-ups about your changes... i still have to find a permanent location for the fuel filter, in the fender is where i'm hoping to go with it... i have a spare filter for test fitting but i'm still a little worried about rocks/road debris punching a hole in the filter.. so the stumbling block now is coming up with some kind of cover to protect it, one that wont be in danger of coming loose and getting in contact with the passenger front wheel.

Reply #3June 25, 2004, 09:29:07 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 09:29:07 am »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
i have a spare filter for test fitting but i'm still a little worried about rocks/road debris punching a hole in the filter.. so the stumbling block now is coming up with some kind of cover to protect it, one that wont be in danger of coming loose and getting in contact with the passenger front wheel.

Lanny, I have two words for you - FENDER LINER.

If you don't have a set, get 'em.   My filter bracket is bolted securely to the inner fender, and the fender liner protects it from road grime.  Best of all, I can reach up from underneath and drain the water separator without having to undo the fender liner at all.

On my 87 Jetta TD convert I put the filter where the charcoal cannister is located - even used the same bracket, and just installed the filter (A3 style) in it.  The air box then mounted over top of it.  Same deal as the Scirocco, I could drain the water separator from underneath.

Reply #4June 25, 2004, 09:34:25 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 09:34:25 am »
did any mkIs come with fender liners? or should i fuss with some mkII ones until they fit?

none of my mkIs have liners... didn't know that was an option.  :?

Reply #5June 25, 2004, 09:37:23 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 09:37:23 am »
83 and 84 Jettas had them for sure, I thought 83 & 84 Rabbits had them as well.

If you need a set, send me an email - I have several.

EDIT: Looks like they were introduced midway through the 83 MY on Rabbits and at the tail end of the 82 MY on Jettas.

Reply #6June 25, 2004, 09:52:54 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 09:52:54 am »
thanks drew... i'll let you know soon.

Reply #7June 25, 2004, 10:18:51 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 10:18:51 am »
have an 81 and an 86 cabby...no liners in the 81 but the 86 is my girls car/project for me. not sure if it has liners or not, but i feel bad when i pilage parts from that one :lol:

i wish there was a yard around here with mkIs and reasonable pricing... the only yard i know of with worthwhile mkIs has three of them and he wants an arm and a leg for everything. he wanted as much for a CIS injection system as i could buy a complete rabbit for  :roll:

Reply #8June 25, 2004, 10:40:30 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 10:40:30 am »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"

i wish there was a yard around here with mkIs and reasonable pricing... the only yard i know of with worthwhile mkIs has three of them and he wants an arm and a leg for everything. he wanted as much for a CIS injection system as i could buy a complete rabbit for  :roll:

There's a yard about an hour north of you that has a fair selection of A1 chassis cars - my backyard... :)  I've got probably around 15 or so A1 Jettas and Rabbits - what do you need? :)

Reply #9June 25, 2004, 10:42:42 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 10:42:42 am »
:shock: i have a busy week, lets talk next thurs/fri  :D  :D

Reply #10June 29, 2004, 02:54:02 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

Re: Autocross race update (bench racing)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 02:54:02 am »
Thanks for the encouragement guys!  :)

Quote from: "type53b_gtd"

So is Scott Dawson your co-driver?  Two 81 VW Rabbits in the results, and Scott's listed as driving the GTD? :)

yep... that's him... and that was his first time racing the car.  Really, it wasn't bad for his first try!  Where he took off like 5 seconds comparing his 1st to his 4th run, I gained a second from my 1st to my 4th runs (mostly due to tires overheated and greasy by the last runs, and other excuses  :? )  He will no doubt learn quickly as he gets a better feel for the car and it's capabilities in future events and will drop a lot of time off further.

Do you have to run with seats etc., or can you get away with a stripped interior?  I've often been amazed at how much difference running only a driver's seat makes in how the Scirocco accelerates and handles.

I can run any "fully upholstered" front seats capable of accomodating an adult, but I've got to run a full interior pretty much otherwise (except for updating/backdating to various '75-'84 Rabbit or Jetta stuff... some of which I have done to save a little weight here and there.)  What I have is an upholstered go-kart racing seat in the passenger side.  It is mad-light.  Can't remember exactly how much at the moment, but I know it's under 10 lbs total weight, and is lighter than just the mounting bracket of my driver's seat.  On my driver's seat I have a sparco evo fiberglass racing seat.  It saves a little weight but also importantly gives good upper-body (IE: shoulder) support.  Combined with the 5-point racing harness (not shown in pic below), it doesn't let one move around much, even when pulling high cornering g's.

seat pics:
Jake Russell

Reply #11June 30, 2004, 09:24:28 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 09:24:28 am »
:LOL:

Your passenger's seat looking like a child safety seat at first glance - I was about to ask if you had recently becoime a father or something! :)

I like the racing bucket - very nice.  I just went with Corrado leathers (heated, even) in the Scirocco GTD.  Probably added about 20 extra pounds between the two.  I was moving some parts around last weekend and came across a plane-jane non height-adjustable front seat from an A2 Jetta and I was astonished at how light it was compared to the height adjustable sports seats I'm used to.

Reply #12July 01, 2004, 01:11:52 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 01:11:52 am »
I used to have some almost exactly like those, before I went to the fiberglass racing driver's and lightweight kart racing passenger's seat... They were scirocco 16v black leather seats, height adjustable.  I think they were nearly exactly like the corrodo ones.  Here you can see a glimpse:

And you are right, they were heavy!  There was a lot of weight savings just compared to a basic, non-height adjustable, non-sport bolstered Rabbit seat.  Although the side bolsters, height adjustability, and leather are awfully nice to have on a daily driver!

The go-kart racing seat is actually remarkedly comfortable and supportive... it is made for a full-size adult by the way.  It gives good lateral support... but through the ribs not the shoulders!  :lol:  I think I know an autocrosser who runs them (kart racing seats) in the driver's and passenger's positions (he is also very fast.)  I think he also trailers his car to/from events though...  :(  :?
Jake Russell

Reply #13July 05, 2004, 10:34:27 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

Next big event: Bremerton National Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 10:34:27 pm »
My next "big" event is the Bremerton National Tour.  It's 3 weeks away, but there are already 5 folks entered in FSP:  http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/scca-tour/frmEntryList.Show?psevent_id=1148&psrnd=.04262250386453744401820192383380960015  That's enough competitors to make me eligible for the Hoosier tires contingency award (a pair of Hoosier racing tires) if I were to take 1st place.  See, I run those stickers on my car not because "I like the way they look", but for a good reason!  ;)

Then... looking further out into the horizon... I will be attending the "big-one": SCCA Solo 2 National Championships in Topeka Kansas in September.  This is truly the highest level of competition of the sport of autocross anywhere in the world.  Last year, on the Rabbit's maiden voyage to Nationals, I took 20th out of 34 in class.

Next little event will be a little local event (like practice) this sunday.  All events from here on out will be run with my new co-driver, Scott Dawson.  Wish us luck!
Jake Russell

Reply #14July 06, 2004, 07:31:09 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 07:31:09 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
I used to have some almost exactly like those, before I went to the fiberglass racing driver's and lightweight kart racing passenger's seat... They were scirocco 16v black leather seats, height adjustable.  I think they were nearly exactly like the corrodo ones.

The Corrado seats are actually lower than the Scirocco ones, and use the later style heigh adjustment mechanism.  The lower seat position is a bit longer, and the bolsters are higher and narrower.  I've also found the back to be narrower between the bolsters as well. - it's fine for me because I'm scrawny but "wider" people might find it uncomfortable.  I appreciate the extra height afforded by the lower seats, as I have a sunroof, and at 6' tall I used to have to recline the Scirocco seats to the point where my arms were almost straight to the steering wheel to keep from scraping my head on the roof frame... :)  I figure I bout at least an inch of headroom with the Corrado seats.

Although the side bolsters, height adjustability, and leather are awfully nice to have on a daily driver!

You got that right - I spend close to three hours a day in this car, so I'll put up with the extra weight... :)

Drew