Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 cy TD bottom end 1.9 aaz head project  (Read 79623 times)

Reply #390February 18, 2010, 10:25:31 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: 1.6 cy TD bottom end 1.9 aaz head project
« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:31 am »
giles probably already knew you were building something before you knew. gotta remember, he has magic powers.

Reply #391February 18, 2010, 12:17:41 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #391 on: February 18, 2010, 12:17:41 pm »
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #392February 18, 2010, 02:52:16 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #392 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »
DARN!  I worked SOOOOOO hard to keep it a secret too ;)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #393February 20, 2010, 02:53:56 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2010, 02:53:56 am »
made up my mind, going with the spyder install, post is here:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=24629.0
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #394February 23, 2010, 01:37:48 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:48 am »
so, i'm doing some head work and need to know the angle to use on my franken head, I will be using solid lifters with a solid lifter cam, don't know if that means anything but someone told me that hydro engines and solid engines like different things.  So hows about it? 3 angle? 5 angle? and what angles should be used, aggressive is fine.  I am doing this myself, so any do's and don'ts will be awesome, as well as another question, could you throw these on the lathe and trim them up a bit around the bottom? or bad idea, I'm talking about where it thickens before it tapers down into the mushroom, would giving this a more smooth shape make for more performance?  also can I opt for performance valves? are there such a thing?  sodium filled are better?  I plan on ceramic coating everything anyway.  Are there any engines that share better internals, My aaz has the 8mm thickness valves.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #395February 23, 2010, 12:06:20 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2010, 12:06:20 pm »
so, i'm doing some head work and need to know the angle to use on my franken head, I will be using solid lifters with a solid lifter cam, don't know if that means anything but someone told me that hydro engines and solid engines like different things.  So hows about it? 3 angle? 5 angle? and what angles should be used, aggressive is fine.  I am doing this myself, so any do's and don'ts will be awesome, as well as another question, could you throw these on the lathe and trim them up a bit around the bottom? or bad idea, I'm talking about where it thickens before it tapers down into the mushroom, would giving this a more smooth shape make for more performance?  also can I opt for performance valves? are there such a thing?  sodium filled are better?  I plan on ceramic coating everything anyway.  Are there any engines that share better internals, My aaz has the 8mm thickness valves.

if you want to take a chance milling a sodium filled valve, go for it, but the head will probably break off. just get a newer aaz head, or better yet, just put the 7mm valve guides in your head and run the 7mm valves. old style engines run 8mm valves.

Reply #396February 23, 2010, 12:15:38 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »
air cooled engines plus Tiffin, Ohio. He can do valves. All stainles, full race cheaper than OEM sodium.

Reply #397February 26, 2010, 12:45:13 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
I just spent WAY too much time ready through this, good thing the boss isnt here...

Looks like your getting good info from everyone so I'll stay out for now  8)

Keep it going.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #398February 26, 2010, 11:10:22 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2010, 11:10:22 pm »
thanks zukgod, your praise humbles me 8)  I have some more pics folks and an update.  I have more money for go fast parts, crank to go to castillos, order h-beam, chromoly rods, and the mech lifters and cam from a 1.6 td anyone interested in two aaz hyro cams?  no gear though :(  I will cut my losses for now and send the heads to be rebuilt, with new everything and all will have the 8mm valves, I will then proceed to port her out, or I may just prt it now and then send em off, either way I plan to g oto my machinist and get some clearances checked.  I'm also going to the boneyard to gut a great cond. 16v gasser of all goody parts I can lay my grubby fingers on, and search for another one, any one interested in anything?

now for the pics
block got some surface oxidation on it from where it was in my "now totaled car" and the stupid wreckers left all of the doors open for mother nature to piss on all of my nice, meticulously cleaned engine parts.

old pistons, going to spec them at the machinist and get some new/er ones regardless, they were banged up pretty bad from the 70mph collision that totaled my car. :-[

you  can see my clean and shaved I/M shaft, reinstalled, I plan to change out the bearings before I finish.

hopefully... the guys over at the tanks machine shop will open their hearts and let me use their cnc machine to make a girdle from solid chromoly, and then I will take the mains to  them to grind em down, and make me some spacers.,..... hopefully.

The late style pump I will send off to Giles to be souped up

the pretty aaz head that I have, well... one of them. ::)

mock up with a H/G from an aaz, from a member here, it is used and will not be for my build.  This is strictly so that I can drill steam holes in the mech block that I have.

dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #399March 13, 2010, 05:46:41 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:41 pm »
Hydraulic head on a Mechanical block??
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #400March 14, 2010, 01:11:53 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #400 on: March 14, 2010, 01:11:53 am »
yuppers ;D I will add a plug to the extra oil drain in the head and get it a little deeper than the surface, then plane the rest away for a perfect surface for the aaz head gasket, that I will use.  I still have a ways to go, I need the tranny and mounts to use for placement/measurement in my 2001 toyota mr2 spyder and I still need the vnt17 and 22 from europe to make the hybrid turbo that I need for this to really haul.  Still need to send off the crank, order the chromoly rods, and machine the engine girdle, as well as the intake intercooler and so much more, but so far so good.  I can only hope to be finished before I deploy in oct nov timeframe. 8)  Any questions this is where to ask them, lots of good advice from others, as well as pictures of, quite possibly, the most difficult way to do this particular configuration.

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #401March 14, 2010, 09:50:56 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #401 on: March 14, 2010, 09:50:56 am »
air cooled engines plus Tiffin, Ohio. He can do valves. All stainles, full race cheaper than OEM sodium.

IF you didn't send your head out already this guy I thought was CHEAP and he included the airflow bench numbers for me. He did my entire head for almost what it would have cost me to buy the peices. I had almost 600 in it with shipping both ways. The machine shops around here that don't do VW stuff wanted more, and so did VW. There is a guy named Jack that has another forum for VWs in columbus that wanted around 500, but that is without shipping and for a stock rebuild. So I went with the full ported, stainless steel, swirl polished, undercut stems, and the flow bench numbers instead. I am just trying to help you out here kevin as it is all about time and $$$ now for you it sounds. The guy's name is John I believe and is a VW Porche fanatic that will treat you well.
Here is my 1.6 heads flow numbers.

Reply #402March 14, 2010, 02:24:44 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #402 on: March 14, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »
Drilling holes for the steam, is also in the works.  Saukraut, has done this already, so I am confident that this will work, there shouldn't be any problems of anything leaking out anywhere, when I'm done.  By done this he has converted a non-hydro head to work with a hydro block, or is it the otherway around, oh nevermind, the important thing is that this will work.

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #403March 14, 2010, 02:55:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #403 on: March 14, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »
If you follow what saurkrat has done you will be fine. What Libby is saying is that on the Mech block there is not a second oil drain. On the hydro head and block there are the 2 humps up front for that hole. When you put your hydro head on there isn't a coolant passage at the same spot so the coolant dumps out where the oil drain is. Audi 80 which is now MJF(another forum genius) put a piece of a new oil cap cut to fit into the head gasket hole. This blocks the coolant from leaving the engine. Unless you buy a custom MLS gasket like 53willy's did.  The HG I sent you to do your steam holes should have paint all over that hole as I was making a template to cut the oil gasket perfectly. I am kind of anal so what should have been a 2 minute process took me 3.5 hours and I only had 1 peice of oil cap gasket big enough to fit. I finally nailed it and have a little slit cut into the piece I cut so it pushes into the MLS a little. Then I used the copper high temp silicone to "glue" and seal it into place. clear as mud???

Reply #404March 14, 2010, 03:30:13 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #404 on: March 14, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »
a bit confused at first, but this cleared things right up, sorry for any confuion.

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

S-PAutomotive.com