Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Fumes coming into the caddy...  (Read 4157 times)

October 10, 2005, 01:31:13 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Fumes coming into the caddy...
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:31:13 pm »
Now that I'm driving my caddy TD every day, I notice that quite a bit of fumes come into the cabin when either the side windows or the rear sliding window is open.  It really chokes me out some times... Not good.

Right now the exhaust exits under the bed of the truck around 18" from the bumper, pointed straight out the back.

The stock exhaust exits out the driver's side, so I thought at one point that there was some sort of strange "air vortex" or something with the exhaust exiting under the truck and then getting sucked back in the windows.

Anyone else ever notice this with a caddy / rabbit?

The other option could be that there's some sort of leak in the engine bay / downpipe area that's getting sucked in through the cabin when the windows are open.    Any ideas of what I can check?  Doesnt' appear to be gaping holes in the firewall and the exhaust seems tight...

I don't get any type of fumes when the windows are closed.  Could the open windows be acting like venturi's and sucking air/fumes back in through other locations?

81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #1October 10, 2005, 01:33:43 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:33:43 pm »
I've experienced the same ting so I think you have a bad gasket on the toiletbowl or a leak in that region, when you open the windows a lot more air is flowing thru the cabin so it sucks more air from the enginebay.
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #2October 10, 2005, 01:48:18 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 01:48:18 pm »
Hmmm....  Maybe so.  I don't have the old "toilet bowl" downpipe any longer, but I guess it's possible for fumes to be leaking from the turbo flange or even from the pyrometer fitting as well.

Where would the fumes be coming in from the engine compartment?  I thought the intake from the heater box was in the rain tray...
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

S-PAutomotive.com