Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: vw T4 1.9 1X starting issues...PUMP?  (Read 8194 times)

November 13, 2009, 11:28:34 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

vw T4 1.9 1X starting issues...PUMP?
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:34 am »
Hi all,
I had the van off the road for a new clutch and while the front was 'off' or rather moved forward, I decided to do the govenor mod by removing the intermediate spring and slightly preloading the main spring; to improve performance  a bit as it was painfully slow... while I had the head off I noticed a good coat of surface rust on some of the components (eg flywheel drive gear), in comparsion with a spare 2.4D pump that I opened up previously to check out the govenor.
I took care not to get any grit or dirt in the pump, and reinstalled the govenor. I removed the 'in' (inlet) clear pipe from the diesel filter and filled with ATF till full; I also primed through the 'out' nut/opening left it 'handtight' as I did with the injector lines (injector side) to purge the air; fitted a fully recharged batter and cranked over; no diesel through the injector lines and I have at this stage ran down the battery four times (on its fifth recharge as I type this) and while I will make further attempts to start it 'as is' but I have a feeling its not pumping diesel (pump); it surely would have done at this stage and have purged itself of air?? I am at a loss; the van has been off the road, unstarted for 3 months, but ran and started well enough before being laid off - right up till I switched it off after driving in the avenue... Im wondering if its something odd like the fuel cut off switch stuck 'on' (cutting off the fuel), but I am a bit miffed generall at this stage; dont want to condem the pump till I am 100% sure... should I 'demod'/deshim the govenor and return it to stock??
any suggestions would be most welcome; I haul my welding gear about with this van (usually) and work has come to a standstill due to its 'absence'....

AAZ'd MK1 caddy (WIP)... and B2 Passat 1.6d 2 1.6GTD

Reply #1November 13, 2009, 11:37:47 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: vw T4 1.9 1X starting issues...PUMP?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:37:47 am »
you are just supposed to shim the pain spring about a quarter inch, not remove anything. and did you check the shut off solenoid on the back of the fuel pump?

Reply #2November 13, 2009, 11:42:38 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:42:38 am »
remove the intermediate spring (replaced/made 'solid' with wee nut), and preload the main spring 8-10% I always thought was the route to take, though theres a bit of a difference of opinion on whats the 'right' way to do it, I suppose...

Didnt check the fuel cut off switch yet (raining here jest at the mo' and the van is outdoors); I thought I'd give it every chance to purge itself of air but nothing coming out of the injector lines...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:56:26 am by BLZEEDUB »

Reply #3November 15, 2009, 11:32:38 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
you are just supposed to shim the main spring. thats the way vince told us to get it to idle right again afterwards. and you can use more fuel screw doing it this way, because your idle doesnt hang as bad with just the main spring shimmed. but whatever, you already did it and probably arent going to take it back apart just because we all did it differently.

and i bet anything you are either getting no power to the fuel cut off solenoid, or its bad. and letting it sit will most definitely not fix things. and letting it sit wont get the air out of your lines either. it has to be manually purged.

Reply #4November 15, 2009, 02:30:51 pm

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:51 pm »
and letting it sit will most definitely not fix things. and letting it sit wont get the air out of your lines either.

Well, I havent let anything 'sit' for any length of time much at all; batterey has been on charge everytime it runs down- and when its charged its off out to the van for more cranking/turning over; had another diesel battery, before you tell me to go and get a spare one, I had a 'spare' but it went off in the boot of the b2 passat 1.6D (in my sig) which i recently sold  -ive also tested both the fuel cut off soleniod that was in it, and the 'spare one' out of the 2.4D; both work well and i  cleaned up the conacts, including crimping on a new female connector....I have purged it of air each time taking off the 'out connector' and filling with ATF, laving it handtight for a couple of 'cranks to purge of air, and on another occasion lossened the lines to the injectors, again to purge the air...
Battery is on charge again, as I type this; I'll pick up a new diesel filter tomorrow (the one on there presently has 5000miles, if that-so I cant see it being the problem, but will replace anyway)...

Reply #5November 16, 2009, 09:28:39 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:28:39 am »
and i bet anything you are either getting no power to the fuel cut off solenoid, or its bad.

...tested, and have power to the fuel cut off solenoid, and 'its good'; still nothing coming out of the injector lines... ???

Reply #6November 16, 2009, 10:26:58 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:26:58 am »
if it squirts fuel out the fuel lines to the injectors, there is something wrong here. something wrong internal im thinking. have you ever had the engine running?

Reply #7November 16, 2009, 11:09:38 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:09:38 am »
post #1 "...am at a loss; the van has been off the road, unstarted for 3 months, but ran and started well enough before being laid off ..."

Reply #8November 16, 2009, 11:16:22 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:16:22 am »
well, did it start nice and idle smooth when it did run? and you have no smoke coming out the tail pipe currently when you crank on it? try putting an outboard primer inline to the fuel filter. then you can prime up everything real good.

Reply #9November 16, 2009, 11:21:49 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:49 am »
ran well enough; no noticeable smoke apart from on start up...
The T4 is that big its near impossible to see whats coming out the rear while cranking over; Im on my own doing this BTW...
I have one of those hand bulb primers on my 1.9TD caddy-I have taken it off and will put it on; the 'feed pipe' to the pimp looks clear with no air tho...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:23:35 am by BLZEEDUB »

Reply #10November 16, 2009, 12:40:35 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
power to the glow plugs? timing? failing that, put the engine to TDC and disconnect the timing belt and use an impact wrench or a drill to get the pressure up and test for fuel flow. I'd take the lines off at the pump, and put a bucket to catch any fuel that should come out.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #11November 17, 2009, 10:41:42 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
an impact wrench on your injection pump? i would advise against that...

Reply #12November 17, 2009, 11:43:27 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:27 am »
heres where Im at with this van;
-Pump head removed and spare gasket fitted with all mating surfaces clean and refitted =Check
-hand primer bulb on the inlet = Check
-Clean fuel filter = Check
-12v at the Glowplugs = Check
-Air purged from pump = Check
-Spring and punger removed from fuel cut off solenoid (bypass)=check

Opened up the lines at the pump; no pressue fuel, nothing etc when cranking.
Judging by the general grottyness of the 'innards' of the pump, Id say the pump has sang its swan song and is dead; cant think what else it could be at this stage...

I have a spare 1.6GTD complete but with cooling problems; thinking of throwing the GTD pump. injectors and inlet and turbo onto the 1.9D 1x - any treads on such a feat to hand; will it all bolt up?? I realise the pump mouting affair on the 1.6GTD is different from the 1.9 1X, but that can be adapted.... vans only done 110,000miles, or so it says on the clock; judging by the inside of the pump, that reading might be doubtful....

Reply #13November 17, 2009, 12:55:40 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »

with no belt on it won't tighten the bolt anymore. unless he has a powerful enough drill to turn it if it primes.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #14November 18, 2009, 11:39:07 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:07 am »

with no belt on it won't tighten the bolt anymore. unless he has a powerful enough drill to turn it if it primes.

yea, but the sharp blows from the impact gun cant be good for the internals of the pump. i wouldnt think it would at least.

S-PAutomotive.com