Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: TDI-M pump pressure question  (Read 15084 times)

Reply #15January 17, 2005, 12:09:19 am

westyman

TDI-M pump pressure question
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 12:09:19 am »
Not sure which shim you are saying to use a thicker one: the one between the plunger and the cross brace? Also, not sure what you mean by 'higher initial plunger position'? Higher as in further out of it's bore? Thanks Quick TD.

Reply #16January 17, 2005, 06:52:39 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 06:52:39 am »
By higher plunger position I mean closer to the outer end of the bore, towards the position of maximum lift. The shim I'm refering to is the small one under the base of the plunger where it meets the camplate. I think these only come in a few sizes. The shims are only used to set the base position, the main quantity adjuster should take it from there.

Reply #17January 19, 2005, 08:03:31 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 08:03:31 am »
Hummn how do you set the plunger height? ..what is the proper spec?...I have a 2mm cummins plunger on a 1.6L td pump. I am not sure what cam plate is in it. I had Piers Diesel in BC do it for me a few years back. it runs awesome - when I can get it timed correctly.. I pulled 134hp at the waterfest dyno 2 years ago (1.6LTD engine). The pump is a real pain to time, the dial indicator stops reading when you go to set the timing. It seems like the indicator doesn't reach the bottom of the bore for part of the plunger travel??...so must be LARGER travel then 1.6L.. not sure if  a longer dial indicator would work well or not. So I've been timing it by ear and feel and it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right .. it really sucks! I mean it could take all day to get it just right.  I think now I would try to build one myself and figure out what the deal is. How can you get a work shop manual for the ve pumps?...Ie how to set clearances inside and how to disaassemble and reassemble a pump...some one must be able to get a copy and photo copy it or some thing?? A  few Guys I have asked to get something like this always say there is no manual..they just have done so many pumps etc...etc. That doesn't make any sense...theres got to be torque specs and clearance specs to build it correctly...Any ideas?
Thanks
Deo
\x/ Hillfolk!

Reply #18January 19, 2005, 08:06:07 am

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 08:06:07 am »
I made a Golf3 with a 2002 ALH engine using a 1.6td turbo and a STOCK  1.9TD fuel pump.  the car is running perfect for the last 6 month.

so please stop repeating misinformation.
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #19January 19, 2005, 10:21:08 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 10:21:08 am »
Don'y think there is any misinformation here. I'm well aware of all those out there that have TDI's running on 1.9TD pumps. Overland has sold hundreds of them. Most owners report that they run fine. I would like to see a mechanical TDI run better than "fine". I think with the right combination of parts this goal can be reached.  

I am curious about how well the TDI engine runs with the TD pump. What kind of power does it produce? Better than the EDC TDI? How well does it start in the extreme cold? Fuel economy? Noise? Please share, I think we can all gain from your experience.

Reply #20January 19, 2005, 10:25:04 am

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 10:25:04 am »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
Don'y think there is any misinformation here. I'm well aware of all those out there that have TDI's running on 1.9TD pumps. Overland has sold hundreds of them. Most owners report that they run fine. I would like to see a mechanical TDI run better than "fine". I think with the right combination of parts this goal can be reached.  

I am curious about how well the TDI engine runs with the TD pump. What kind of power does it produce? Better than the EDC TDI? How well does it start in the extreme cold? Fuel economy? Noise? Please share, I think we can all gain from your experience.

the car is on a stock 1.9td pump with maxed out power settings (like in the DIY) and is using 0.216mm nozzles on the stock TDI injectors. I gave more power than a stock TDI but nothing to be affraid of (still using the OEM 9mm plunger) So far the owner never had problem with cold start. (1.9td glow plug system)
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #21January 19, 2005, 10:40:16 am

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 10:40:16 am »
Quote from: "therabbittree"
they just have done so many pumps etc...etc. That doesn't make any sense...theres got to be torque specs and clearance specs to build it correctly...Any ideas?

There's no manuals for 'custom' pump as every one rebuilt at 'stock' spec. But i have most of the spec for all VE and Inline pump. As Bruce said earlier ( i missed a few reply ) the shim at the bottom of the plunger need to be ajusted, i also have the spec for that shim..

Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #22January 19, 2005, 09:50:32 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 09:50:32 pm »
well im Interested in learning more on setting up a stock ve  pump and a stock p7100 inline pump..thats what i meant any how..you got to know how to do a stocker first them move to modification later ..I didn't think there was manual to do a custom pump...i was refering to rebuilding or building a stock pump with factory torque and clearanc especs along with a step by step...etc. .that must be available..
Let me know if any one here has aline on that info
Thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #23January 20, 2005, 12:10:23 am

Otis2

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 12:10:23 am »
Marc, can you share your specs for the shim at the bottom of the plunger?  Maybe we can work out a recipe here.  When Karl comes back from his road trip in the m-TDi Westy, maybe he can try it out for us armchair mechanical TDi'ers.

Reply #24January 20, 2005, 01:10:47 am

westyman

M-TDI runs awesome now, thanks to Quick TD!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 01:10:47 am »
Yep, you were right: the shim / button was wrong. When I put the pump together, I wasn't aware [yet] of the differing sizes of these, and mistakenly used one that was .012 smaller that the one originally in the pump! Unbelieveable difference, pulls way great all the way to 4500, boost at 3200 [70 mph in the van] is a whopping 23 psi. Whoops! Now I need to adjust the wastegate before the brand-new GT15 self-destructs! 18 psi comes on at just under 2900, 15 at around 2400, and all temps are up to normal now, EGTs at 850 max post-turbine. BTW, what's the concensus on the max safe boost for one of the small GT15 turbos? It has a larger compressor than the old K03, as well as a slightly larger turbine. On another note, I did some serious measurements while I had the pump apart, and the TDI camplate and head really won't work without some machining of the pump case, the rollers are .020 closer to the end in the TDI pump, so the stroke would certainly be way off using a TD pump case. I might take one of the old 1.6 pumps I have and machine it just for kicks  to see if the parts will really work.

Reply #25January 20, 2005, 07:42:21 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

Yet another TDI with IDI pump!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 07:42:21 pm »
So today at work, I was taking a tech call, and it was a company called Performance Diesel in Fredericktown, Ohio.  I got the guy to talking about things other than his computer problems, and he really likes the VW diesels a lot and has done some "performance" tuning to them.  He also mentioned that he put a TDI engine in a Mk 2 Jetta (for a customer), with a 1.6 IDI pump.  He said that they had to "make some fueling and timing adjustments" to the pump but he said that it ran great and the guy drives it every day.  I didnt go into any more details than that, but it suprised me.  One of these days I'll probably give their shop a visit and maybe I can get some more information out of them.  Their website is here: http://www.purrformance.com/  The guy was really nice over the phone (despite his e-mail not working!) and said that they can do pump rebuilds and injector testing, etc.. the whole lot.

So maybe this could be a feasable effort for a mechanical TDI.  I'd like to know what kind of hp and torque numbers a TDI with this kind of setup makes (without a whole lot of crazy pump mods) to see how it compares to a stock TDI.

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #26January 20, 2005, 11:02:05 pm

Otis2