Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: engine adaptors  (Read 4807 times)

October 03, 2005, 07:17:53 pm

jwspin

• Junior

engine adaptors
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:17:53 pm »
I plan on throwing a spare 1.6td i have in my 2wd toyota pickup. i know there are kits out there that have adaptors for the 4 cyl toyota trannies because people put them in their suzukis. but i rather make an adaptor and save some cash. does anyone have any experience making bellhousing adaptors. any and all ideas are appreciated... it seems pretty straight foreward but i wanna make sure im not missing anything...

-jared

Reply #1October 03, 2005, 07:31:53 pm

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
engine adaptors
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:31:53 pm »
Look for Acme adapter kit company.. They made a kit for the 4Runner..

Cheers,
Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #2October 05, 2005, 08:01:07 am

jwspin

• Junior

engine adaptors
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 08:01:07 am »
yeh i have looked at the acme kits. they are basically just the adaptor plate hardware and flywheel for almost $600. i rather make it myself.

anyone made an adaptor for anything. im sure the theory aplies to all motor and trannies?

-jared

Reply #3October 05, 2005, 08:42:32 am

Master ACiD

• Veteran

engine adaptors
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 08:42:32 am »
the problem you run into is not so much the adapter, thats relatively easy. what the real problem is is the flywheel and espically the clutch. you have to machine the toyota pickup flywheel to mount to the vw crankshaft. while you are doing that, you also have to space the flywheel at the proper distance rom the bellhousing so that the clutch mechanism works properly to engage and disengage the clutch. this might mean cutting the flywheel down, or adding a spacer, depends on the toyota transmission. and also if the flywheel isnt properly spaced, the starter might not be able to reach the flywheel so the engine wont start besides the clutch issues.

after you get the flywheel corrctly done, then its time to make the adapter. this is relatively easy. you mount the engine to the transmission using only the input shaft to hold them together and also thin a piece of verneer or wood door skin inbetween the engine and trans. (block the engine and trans up with wood to hold them together) then take a pencil or black marker and mark out all of the holes on the bellhousing and the engine on the door skin. pull everything apart and transfer youre wooden template onto a piece of aluminum and cut it out.  now heres an important part, you can use the thickness of the bellhousing adapter to help space the flywheel from the transmission, if you need more space, just make the adapter thicker. less space means thinner. just take youre time and do youre measurments.

most people myself included dont have access to a machine shop or the tools nessassary to do this kind of work. when i help me father do the converion of his porsche 914 over to diesel, we will be going with a kennedy kit. we havent figured out a way to make our own adapter, and believe me we would make it if we could. no one looks forward to trading $500 for a couple pieces of metal.

Reply #4October 05, 2005, 11:47:45 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

engine adaptors
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:47:45 am »
when i help me father do the converion of his porsche 914 over to diesel, we will be going with a kennedy kit.

This is going to be a way-cool project! :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5October 05, 2005, 11:57:05 am

Master ACiD

• Veteran

engine adaptors
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 11:57:05 am »
This is going to be a way-cool project!

i apologise for thread hijacking but here is my fathers 914 that the turbo diesel is going into.

Reply #6October 06, 2005, 10:23:12 am

jwspin

• Junior

engine adaptors
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:23:12 am »
that is the same idea that i was going to use to make my adaptor. i have no problem machining things. I was just worried that by making the adpator with the engine and tranny hooked up then i may not be prefectly centered. i wouldnt want to have a crooked input shaft...

anyone else have any different ideas or thoughts?

thanx again
-jared

Reply #7October 12, 2005, 07:48:48 am

vanagondiesel

• User+

Suziki Samari 1.6 transplant
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:48:48 am »
I'm looking now for a solid Suziki Samari, Going to transplant either turbo or non turbo 1.6 into it....

It is my understanding someone out there sells adaptors
82 Vanagon L diesel, 89 Jetta diesel, 82 Caddy Diesel, and 16 various other A-1's, A-2, and Passat gas powered.

Reply #8October 12, 2005, 11:14:13 am

jwspin

• Junior

engine adaptors
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 11:14:13 am »
there are a couple companies that supply adapters but i rather make one.

-jared

Reply #9October 31, 2005, 01:38:22 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

engine adaptors
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 01:38:22 pm »
I tried to make an adaptor to put a VW diesel in a subaru.  What finally stopped me was the lack of a milling machine.  Actually, even a good drill press with a table on it with the two way dial adjustments (I can't remember what that's called right now) would have worked.  That, and mechanical drawings of the two engines/transmissions.  If you've got the machining capability, it's just an issue of
1) attaching the subaru (or in your case toyota) flywheel to the VW crankshaft, perfectly centered, with a spacer that puts it the exact right same distance from the transmission input shaft and clutch release fork as the original engine did.  What I did was disassemble a VW pressure plate (since that bolts to the VW crankshaft), then bolt that to the backside of the subaru flyweel.
2) making a plate that matches up to the VW engine on one side, and to the subaru bell housing on the other side, and has alignment pins to precisely line up the two shafts.  This is where the mechanical drawings of the two engines helps.  The thickness of this plate can also affect  1).

It's on the back burner for now, but eventually I want to work on it again.

Zeke
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Fixmyvw.com