Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: B4V Glow Plug System Fault  (Read 1912 times)

October 08, 2009, 04:40:41 pm

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

B4V Glow Plug System Fault
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:40:41 pm »
Bear with me here please!

'96 B4V. I've had a while. Bought it as a project 15 mos. ago. It had new GPs about 3 mos. before that. It started fine in cold weather. I've done a ton of maintenance, upkeep and spent a bunch of money on it. Now the GP indicator light won't stay on very long and it's starts poorly. If I pull the coolant temp sensor, the indicator light stays on 30 secs. or so. It's starts fine. I replaced the coolant sensor with a used one from a parts car. All GPs have less than 1 ohm resistance. I've swapped the relay from another TDI parts car, that IIRC started fine in cold weather- no change. I pulled the cover off the original relay and held the contacts together and it starts fine. I've unplugged the engine harness to check for corrosion and found none. I haven't pulled the knee bar down to dig out the GP fuse but if they're getting power with either the coolant sensor unplugged or relay held is it safe to assume the fuse is OK?

Help a guy out please! Maybe I'm missing something very obvious. Thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Fixmyvw.com