Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Pimped Glow Plugs  (Read 11362 times)

Reply #15September 29, 2009, 06:16:54 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

Re: Pimped Glow Plugs
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 06:16:54 pm »
Sorry if this is totaly random....

But why do you re wire the plugs with ur own wiring? What is wrong with the stock system?

Reply #16September 29, 2009, 06:59:23 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 06:59:23 pm »
The glowplug system is an important part of the proper operation of our IDI engines and so there's general interest in making sure it's the best it can be.

The stock system is fine and works well but like most designs could always benefit from a re-think.  Here's my own view on some areas where the stock system could be better:

*  the full amperage of the circuit (50 amps or so) passes thru the firewall and thru the connectors in the fuseblock
    * the copper buss bar makes removing the glow plugs a pain since you have to completely remove the 8mm nuts
    * the copper buss bar makes troubleshooting a pain since all plugs are connected in parallel
    * the 50A fuse is prone to hairline fractures that takes out all your glowplugs
    * the glowplug relay itself is *extremely* expensive
    * the length and gauge of the factory wiring results in a reasonably significant voltage drop to the glow plugs... I've measured below 9V at the plugs when the battery was delivering 12.5V

I also think folks pimp their glowplugs because they can. ;)  It's a simple set of modifications well within the skillset of the average owner.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #17September 29, 2009, 07:25:58 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »
I'm having some extremely rough starts now in the morning...

Timing?
It sounds very very rattly like a tin can full of marbles so im sure it's advanced enough, but maybe it's not? I don't actually have a timing gauge to see what it's at. ... i timed to the marks and then pushed the pump as for to the head as it would go.

Isn't that the sound of too much advance?

Yes it is, thats why i said im sure it's advanced enough.
I'm thinking the pump might be filling with air while the car sits over night. The rubber line from the filter to the pump is perishing a little. When i bend it in the creases there are cracks in the rubber.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #18September 29, 2009, 07:28:29 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:29 pm »

But why do you re wire the plugs with ur own wiring? What is wrong with the stock system?

I did it for the cold weather reliability factor. I hate using ether in an engine,its dangerous for one thing and can cause damage for another. It gets cold here, and having glowplugs that work is important.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #19September 29, 2009, 08:38:19 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 08:38:19 pm »
I think it is a very good idea and if for no other reason just to make it easier to troubleshoot each plug and for removal.  I just got a new set of Bosch Duraterms with the fast relay but I hooked it up stock just for now and it works fine but I am going to do this modifiation.  I was just too damn lazy to go get the heavier wire even though I know the time it takes just to put those little 8 m/m nuts on takes 2 times longer than it would have taken to go get the wire.  I still have to get it and do the mod anyway.  It really is a good idea and will definately help in a lot of ways.  Plus you can almost rest assured when you turn the key on and hear the solenoid click that there is current going to the plugs unless for some reason one of the fuses is blown but you still have the others.  Very good idea :)

Reply #20September 29, 2009, 08:49:23 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:23 pm »

For stock situations, to each their own.  but in my case, where I swapped a diesel motor into a gasser chassis, it relieves a person of having to get all the relay, fuse panel, and whatever other associated stuff.  vinces recipe is top notch in my opinion.  only time it failed was when it was MY fault, using a toggle switch instead of a push button (fried my solenoid ;D).  couldn't remember which position was on and I paid the 13 dollar price.  I wish I had 3 thumbs so I could give another thumbs up. 

Reply #21September 29, 2009, 09:22:56 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »

For stock situations, to each their own.  but in my case, where I swapped a diesel motor into a gasser chassis, it relieves a person of having to get all the relay, fuse panel, and whatever other associated stuff.  vinces recipe is top notch in my opinion.  only time it failed was when it was MY fault, using a toggle switch instead of a push button (fried my solenoid ;D).  couldn't remember which position was on and I paid the 13 dollar price.  I wish I had 3 thumbs so I could give another thumbs up. 
Where can a person get a spring loaded toggle switch that goes to off when you let it go?  I can't find one of those things anywhere.

Reply #22September 29, 2009, 09:49:43 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 09:49:43 pm »

Where can a person get a spring loaded toggle switch that goes to off when you let it go?  I can't find one of those things anywhere.

here is a push button switch for you

http://www.ace4parts.com/Products/Automotive-Push-Button-Switch-50A--at--12VDC%28Momentary%29__30-12475.aspx
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #23September 29, 2009, 10:18:54 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 10:18:54 pm »

I'm thinking the pump might be filling with air while the car sits over night. The rubber line from the filter to the pump is perishing a little. When i bend it in the creases there are cracks in the rubber.

well replacing that seems to be imminent, however have you checked your water separator and the rest of your fuel system? I had a bunk separator that caused grief. 

Reply #24September 29, 2009, 10:56:05 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

Where can a person get a spring loaded toggle switch that goes to off when you let it go?  I can't find one of those things anywhere.

You want a "momentary" contact toggle switch. I've had good luck finding those at NAPA. What I'm looking for now is a momentary-off-on three position toggle, and nobody wants to sell me one. :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:30:53 pm by Turbinepowered »

Reply #25September 29, 2009, 11:04:26 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 11:04:26 pm »
have you tried a supplier for instrumentation? I've seen them in control panels in the paper industry.

Reply #26September 29, 2009, 11:54:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:05 pm »
Ed i think your problem was caused by you doing way too many 2nd gear WOT burnouts :P lol

take your lines off your filter and run the car of a jerry can making sure the lines are submerged in fuel, if it runs good in the morning you know you got bad lines that are leaking air :) lol

Reply #27September 30, 2009, 12:00:59 am

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:59 am »
I like the flip-up red plastic cover on my dash switch, plus an indicator light.  I haven't left it on yet. But then again I also just got a new relay so I won't have to use it as much anymore, which is also a good reason to have the spring loaded plastic cover on that switch...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:08:54 am by Vanagoner »
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #28September 30, 2009, 01:51:17 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:17 am »
Thanks 8v-of-fury and libbybapa! those lines to the filter are due for a change anyways and i'll test out the cold lever deal tomorrow morning.
But will too much advance give the really bad driving conditions i described?
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #29September 30, 2009, 02:51:43 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:43 am »
I'm having some extremely rough starts now in the morning...

Timing?
It sounds very very rattly like a tin can full of marbles so im sure it's advanced enough, but maybe it's not? I don't actually have a timing gauge to see what it's at. ... i timed to the marks and then pushed the pump as for to the head as it would go.

Isn't that the sound of too much advance?

If it is too advanced it will be very hard to start.  Often you can tell by the effect of the cold start lever.  If it is harder to start with the cold start lever pulled, then the pump is too advanced.

That was kinda where I was headed, that it was too far advanced.

S-PAutomotive.com