S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ head on MF block anyone?  (Read 2653 times)

June 11, 2004, 11:57:50 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
AAZ head on MF block anyone?
« on: June 11, 2004, 11:57:50 am »
I expect that within a month or two I'll have my recently acquired 94 Golf TD on the road as a daily driver, which means that the Scirocco will be able to go down for some much needed body work, and maybe some mechanical modifications as well.

I've often wondered about mating the AAZ head (with its D-shaped intake ports) to the MF block, and I'm thinking it may soon be the time to try it on for size.  In preparation for fixing the 94 (rod through block after timing gear jumped) I've acquired a spare 1.9 with a good crank, and just by luck, a third 1.9 head (early style with 8mm valve stems,) so I have a spare to play with.

Has anyone done or seen done this swap before?  I know Jake was running a 1.9 gasket on a solid lifter head, and I seem to recall the 1.9 has a few extra coolant passages in it that the 1.6 block is lacking - these would be blinded by the block if I used a 1.9 gasket, or the gasket if I used a 1.6 gasket.

I would maintain the 1.6 injectors, and use the 1.9 intake manifold (required to match the ports.)  My exhaust manifold and turbo are already AAZ, not that it matters as the exhaust ports are the same on both heads.

Thoughts?

Drew

Reply #1June 23, 2004, 10:45:57 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

AAZ head on MF block anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 10:45:57 am »
drew, i believe bryson (dr. diesel) is building something similar... you might want to talk to him.