Author Topic: replacing glow plugs & flickering glow plug light  (Read 4186 times)

Reply #15September 03, 2009, 09:10:34 am

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
Re: replacing glow plugs & flickering glow plug light
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:10:34 am »
A little update on the saga...

Ordered 1m of fuel hose for the fuel return line
8x 8mm nuts for the glow plugs
the OEM bolt for  the alternator top mounting bracket as the other ones I had are pitiful mild steel and bend and snap!

Less than £10 for the lot  ;D

Reply #16September 03, 2009, 10:51:26 am

arb

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 10:51:26 am »
A little update on the saga...

Ordered 1m of fuel hose for the fuel return line
8x 8mm nuts for the glow plugs
the OEM bolt for  the alternator top mounting bracket as the other ones I had are pitiful mild steel and bend and snap!

Less than £10 for the lot  ;D

Great !  Are you going to Pimp your GP ? :-D  I like buying stainless steel bolts to replace my general hardware - it will never rust and it is stronger than straight steel. Here the cost is not too high.

Reply #17September 03, 2009, 11:25:57 am

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:57 am »
I will do when I find a place that does a starter solenoid that can take 50A for more than 30 seconds, not had a look for one yet but I think I know of a place that *might* do them locally. I'll pop in there on Saturday morning on the way to VW Oxford and see what they have  8) 

I think no matter what goes wrong we still love our little dubs and gives us a reason to tinker  ;D 

Reply #18September 03, 2009, 12:30:08 pm

arb

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:08 pm »
I will do when I find a place that does a starter solenoid that can take 50A for more than 30 seconds, not had a look for one yet but I think I know of a place that *might* do them locally. I'll pop in there on Saturday morning on the way to VW Oxford and see what they have  8) 

I think no matter what goes wrong we still love our little dubs and gives us a reason to tinker  ;D 

If you don't have a good VW GP solenoid, most of the 1975 - 1985 Ford's have one - maybe older. The 76 Grand Torino and 76 Ford Pinto had these as did many more from Ford. Here, most of the parts dealers require you to tell them what the part is on so they can lookup the part number and find your part.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?skuDescription=Gold+/+Solenoid+Switch&categoryDisplayName=Starting+%26+Charging&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=184962_0_2399_&productId=184962&sortType=&parentId=64-0&filterByKeyWord=solenoid&isSearchByPartNumber=false&navValue=16400102&categoryNValue=16499999&fromWhere=&itemId=102-0&displayName=Solenoid+Switch&store=2165&searchText=solenoid&brandName=Gold

Reply #19September 03, 2009, 12:53:15 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »
gawd dammit. since I changed the GP's I could smell a bit of diesel when I've got the cold/warn air blowers on inside the cabin, I had a look last night and the fuel return line on injector #2 looks like it's leaking  :( 

Do the return lines have much pressure running through them and will a cable tie be enough to hold a new one in place or will it stay on with a push?

there is probably 1/4 of a psi in the return lines from the injectors.

Reply #20September 03, 2009, 12:59:24 pm

arb

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »
gawd dammit. since I changed the GP's I could smell a bit of diesel when I've got the cold/warn air blowers on inside the cabin, I had a look last night and the fuel return line on injector #2 looks like it's leaking  :( 

Do the return lines have much pressure running through them and will a cable tie be enough to hold a new one in place or will it stay on with a push?

there is probably 1/4 of a psi in the return lines from the injectors.

Humm, I never thouhgt of a cable tie. When the lines are new, they don't need anything. I've seen some with metal bands crimped around them. When I replaced one of mine, I took a piece of 0.035" stainless steel welding wire and rapped it twice and twisted it like a bread bag tie. Works great. If your lines are all clear, and your tank will be sucking air through the vent to make-up the lost volume from what's going out.

Reply #21September 03, 2009, 03:48:25 pm

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:25 pm »
thanks guys.

I've got a bunch of jubilee clips that I could use to be *safe*.

I went to the local auto shop on the way home and they had no after market starter solenoids  :(  I'll try another one tomorrow or Saturday.

Reply #22September 04, 2009, 08:37:56 am

arb

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:56 am »

I went to the local auto shop on the way home and they had no after market starter solenoids  :(  I'll try another one tomorrow or Saturday.

The auto shops here are the same way - ask for an aftermarket solenoid and the answer is no. Ask for a 1976 Ford Pinto solenoid, and you get your part on the spot.

Reply #23September 04, 2009, 04:17:18 pm

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
Sorted the return fuel line issue and noticed I'll have to re-do the rocker cover gasket because when my brother in law was doing the nuts up he over tightened them and now oil is leaking again  >:(  

I'll have words with him tomorrow!

I also noticed I don't have a water seperator  ???  I followed the fuel lines all the way back to the fuel tank and noticed 4 threads pointing down from the underside of the car under the passenger seat, I'm guessing this is where it would mount, so I drained a bit of liquid from the fuel filter. on the way home I'll give her a blast and see if the GP light flickers or not.

Just read on vortex that we shouldn't need one nowdays as the quality of the fuel has increased etc etc... so I guess I'll just have to drain the fuel filter now and then.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:22:32 pm by Jay »

Reply #24September 04, 2009, 04:47:08 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 04:47:08 pm »
yea, we all have to drain our filters from time to time. its part of owning a diesel. they dont burn water/glycerin/gunk too well...

Reply #25September 04, 2009, 09:28:06 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:06 pm »

The auto shops here are the same way - ask for an aftermarket solenoid and the answer is no. Ask for a 1976 Ford Pinto solenoid, and you get your part on the spot.

Nice tip arb, I'll keep that in mind
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #26September 05, 2009, 03:59:15 am

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 03:59:15 am »
Even though I drained my fuel filter (not completely) I still got the GP/WIF light flickering while giving her a blast on the way home  :( 

This is really starting to annoy me, any other thoughts on what it could be?

Reply #27September 05, 2009, 10:54:36 am

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 10:54:36 am »
Think I've cured the flickering WIF/GP light  ;D 

• Changed the Rocker Cover gasket again and told my brother in law that he's a idjiot for tightening the nuts up too tight
  • Trimmed off the old clamped/worn fuel hose that goes onto the fuel filter
  • Tried to fit the alternator bracket mount bolt VW gave me... it's not the correct one so 'bodged' it with a nut and thread lock  :-X
  • Got moaned at by an old lady "This isn't a repair shop you know! everytime you come here you are always doing something to your car" - orly?!
  • Drained a bit more fluid out the fuel filter, althought it all looked like diesel anyway.

I gave her a blast between my mothers town and mine - no WIF light  8)
Let's hope it's sorted now!

oh and I'll pimp my GP's soon, once I find a place near here that will do a 50amp starter solenoid, cheaply.

Fixmyvw.com