S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Mk2 GTI TDI?  (Read 3043 times)

August 14, 2009, 02:34:25 am

Formerfreeagent

• User+

Mk2 GTI TDI?
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:34:25 am »
Okay so here I sit, A perfectly good 16v GTI in my garage, Totally stock.

I decided I wanted to do something I hadn't seen often, something totally me.

Well I have come to the conclusion the 16v is getting pulled and a TDi is going in, I have a few issues. 1) I know that TDi's came in both mk2's and mk3's... I have the desire to use one out of a Mk4.

What is the engine code?
Is there a reason I don't see it done often?

I know that there is an Imobilizer Chip in the car that unless I plan on running stand alone ECU I need the engine the harness the ecu and the cluster all from the mk4 in question. I am also assuming that because the MK4 is a different setup that these Engines don't just bolt up, Requiring custom mounts. I also believe they use the newer O2J transmission is it possible to mate one to an 02A?

I have been trying to do some reaserch and find some of my own answers and I just can't. This is really what I want to do but as I look around and don't see it done I start to wonder... Am I looking at custom half shafts? I know I need custom motor and trans mounts. I know I need to conver to Hydrolic Clutch instead of cable. I know that all the pedals are fly by wire. But there has to be a way if people are running mechanical clutches and throtle cables on the 1.8t's then there must be....

Help me get this beast swapped over to a TDI...
I appreciate all advice if anybody knows of a build either here or another forum let me know... any helpful info in another forum point me there please and thanks

Taylor

Reply #1August 14, 2009, 06:50:25 am

gigaz2

• Veteran

Re: Mk2 GTI TDI?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:50:25 am »
there were no mk2s with 1.9 engines
IDI or TDI

there is no such thing as a aftermarket ECU for the TDI, unfortunately :(

Reply #2August 14, 2009, 06:19:25 pm

Formerfreeagent

• User+

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:25 pm »
Hey thanks.

I meant to say mk1's and mk3's.

I did mis read my previous info and yes there aren't but I could convert to an M-Tdi Setup....

Reply #3August 15, 2009, 05:11:26 pm

Spulen81

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:11:26 pm »
MK1s didn't get the 1.9 either.  Mk1 and Mk2 got the 1.6 either na or turbo.  Mk3s got 1.9 IDIs in Canada and Europe.  In the US Mk3s only got 1.9 TDIs.
The easiest donor is from a Mk3 or B4, everything just bolts up.  The wiring is pretty simple too if you have CE2, its plug and play.  I've done to Mk2 TDIs, its not a hard swap at all.  Check the conversions forum on tdiclub there are several well documented conversions.
'86 4Runner TDI SOLD
'91 GTI - TDI converted

Reply #4August 17, 2009, 10:53:31 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:31 am »
Yes, no TDI engines in anything until very late A3 or B4, or A4 chassis, which was a different engine code TDI but for the most part the same physically.

Mounts will need to be custom, there are no off-the shelf VW parts to make that work.  You can run an 020 transmission, and keep the cable clutch and axles, as well as greatly simplify the mounting, but the 16v gearing would not work very well for a TDI.  Fitting an 02A or 02J would require all custom mounts, and either a pedal cluster swap to run hydro clutch or find a rare cable clutch setup from a European Van, which is what I am doing.  You would also have to custom mount the cable-shifter unit in the car and run the cables through the firewall.

Swapping the electronics will be much easier if you use the A3/B4 variant TDI, the A4 version is much more difficult.  Or you can go mechanical and drop the ECU all together, but that will probably cost you more, and you would lose the ability to run a VNT turbo (which can be good or bad depending on your point of view) unless you also figure out some sort of custom VNT actuator.  A3/B4 cars did not have a VNT turbo.

There are a lot of different roads to take on this swap and there is no real set way to do it, most of the methods that people have done depend greatly on what they have available to them at the time of the swap, eg. a complete doner car or just bits and pieces.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #5August 24, 2009, 11:51:22 am

Spulen81

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:22 am »
I agree except that you don't need custom mounts to run a TDI engine in a MK2. The same thing goes for the transmission.  You just use the MK2 mounts or switch to MK3 mounts using a MK3 K-frame and B4 or rado front crossmember.  Everything is plug and play.  Even the pedal cluster and clutch hydro stuff is bolt in for the most part. 
'86 4Runner TDI SOLD
'91 GTI - TDI converted

Reply #6August 27, 2009, 03:08:31 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:31 pm »
there is no such thing as a aftermarket ECU for the TDI, unfortunately Sad

Is this a business opportunity I see before me? 8)

Come on somebody, make me want to buy something! ;D

Reply #7August 28, 2009, 10:03:56 am

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:56 am »
there is no such thing as a aftermarket ECU for the TDI, unfortunately Sad

Is this a business opportunity I see before me? 8)

Come on somebody, make me want to buy something! ;D

Just swap in a Mk3/B4 setup its all very plug and play.

Reply #8August 30, 2009, 07:30:50 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:30:50 am »
Just swap in a Mk3/B4 setup its all very plug and play.
Does this do away with having to swap over the wiring loom with the matching instruments and dials? ???

Reply #9August 30, 2009, 08:15:59 am

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
Nobody can swap a TDI and still call it a TDI without swapping over the wiring loom why don't you spend some time reviewing the links in my sig?

using a mk3 or B4 TDI as a donor makes the swap very straight forward.

Fixmyvw.com