Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1985 TD will not start  (Read 3737 times)

August 25, 2009, 07:47:56 pm

jonz

• User+

1985 TD will not start
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »
I am having issues getting my 1.6td started. It ran fine on a Friday, came home and parked it for the weekend. Monday morning it was nothing.

It cranks fast, but never fires. I have checked the glow plugs, i am getting 10v on both sides of the fuse, and 10 volts at the first glow plug. I pulled the glow plug relay and noticed it has some corrosion/water damage on it. I ordered the aftermarket one from Impex... Just in case.

I am getting no smoke, even after cranking it for a while. This is making me lean towards a fuel system issue of some kind. I checked the voltage at the fuel stop solenoid, and it was receiving 10 volts. I am kind of at a loss of where to start checking next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
JZ

1985 VW Jetta TD
Loveland, Co.

Reply #1August 25, 2009, 09:06:47 pm

Doug

Re: 1985 TD will not start
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »
Loosen the steel injection line unions at the injectors. Crank the motor for 10 seconds to check to see if fuel is reaching the injectors. If it is not, remove the shut off solenoid on the fuel pump. Check it with voltage source like the battery to confirm that the solenoid is working (the plunger moves). If it is working then check the fuel supply line to the pump for air bubbles. If there are bubbles replace the filter. If there are still bubbles then look to the water separator under the car. Bypass it with neoprene line and clamps.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:37:40 am by Doug »

Reply #2August 28, 2009, 06:09:05 pm

jonz

• User+

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:09:05 pm »
Well new relay arrived, that was not the problem... =(

I cracked the unions on the injector lines, at the injectors. No fuel.

Any suggestions on getting the solenoid out? I got the nut off the top that holds the connector on, but am not able to break the solenoid itself free. I am assuming the solenoid is the part that the wire hooks unto right above the injector lines on the fuel pump. It is in a *** of a spot to get something on it to break it free.

I assume i need to be very careful about getting dirt and debris down in the hole once the solenoid is out, is that correct?

jz
1985 VW Jetta TD
Loveland, Co.

Reply #3August 28, 2009, 11:37:41 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:41 pm »
Yes it the fuel stop solenoid is that part with the one wire right above where all four lines enter the pump. and YES have the utmost care for dirt going in there! if the smallest pebble of dirt gets in there and breaks in to four pieces and one piece goes to each injector your screwed.. (obviously worst case scenario.. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!) Lol

spray it with ALOT of brake cleaner first :)

Reply #4September 01, 2009, 02:10:13 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:10:13 am »
Try going clockwise with some effort first, then make the counter-clock effort. If its really not budging - leave it alone for now.

Get a helper to key the switch - while you stand by the engine to Listen AND Feel for the solenoid to 'click' when key is turned on and off. If that checks out you're probably good on that.

At that point - buy borrow beg or steal a mighty vac tool or siphon that will pull fuel through your Inj Pump return hose.

If you don't get fuel through the return - you're either out off fuel, or fuel filter is bad, or maybe a dead fish blocking the fuel supply in tank. Something of that sort.

If you get bubbly fuel, then you're drawing air somewhere/somehow, and its lost prime to Inj Pump. Once you get good solid fuel flowing - you should be able to crank that kitten right on up.

If in doubt about Gplugs getting full voltage or anything else - run a jumper wire (or jumper cable) from the battery positive to #4 Gplug terminal for about 8-10 seconds (US seconds - not Canadian seconds). Then hit it.

None of this is fixing anything. Just hopefully getting it going again.
Then you can work from there. By knowing what gives and what has given up.

Reply #5September 01, 2009, 07:35:29 am

Doug

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:35:29 am »
I have had the solenoid physically jam in the closed position. As you can imagine the clearances for the plunger are tight. You really need to get it out. Are you saying that a wrench will not move it? Put a little heat to the solenoid hex drive at the top of the pump. Use a heat gun or a soft propane flame. Then wrench it. If that doesn't work then use a chisel, point tangential to the radius of the hex drive striking it with a hammer. You may have to sacrifice the solenoid but they are not pricey. 

Reply #6September 02, 2009, 07:49:17 pm

jonz

• User+

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
Well, it was the fuel solenoid. I gave up and towed it to my mechanic. I told him everything i had tried... He tapped on the solenoid a few times, hopped in and it started on the first try. Fuel solenoid was jammed int he closed position.

Unfortunately, while pulling her across town, I blew out a rear brake shoe. Which in turn trashed the drum. Tried to save a buck and tow it myself... Shoulda just paid the the tow truck.
1985 VW Jetta TD
Loveland, Co.

Reply #7September 04, 2009, 01:52:39 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:52:39 am »
Glad to hear its running again.

Curious though, did you try the deal with a helper doing the key work - while you Listened and FELT for the solenoid to click ?

I wouldn't think it would give the "click" if the pin/plunger were stuck.
So i'm curious about that - if you were able to try it that way - did it click even though it was stuck ?

Thanks

Fixmyvw.com