Author Topic: drum brakes?  (Read 3341 times)

August 22, 2009, 05:16:12 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
drum brakes?
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:12 pm »
Would a leaky or faulty wheel cylinder cause the shoe to slap against the drum? I just replaced the shoes and drums and noticed one wheel cylinder is slighlty leaky. If I apply the brakes it looks like only one shoe kicks out. If I drive around and put the brakes on normally or hard I get a slap or clunk clunk clunk noise till the car stops. If i lighlty press the brakes I don't get the noise. It appears to only be coming from the side with the leaky cylinder.

1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #1August 22, 2009, 09:50:21 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: drum brakes?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:50:21 pm »
Not sure about the tap-tap sounds, but, a leaky wheel cylinder is only going to get worse.
And, when it gets worse, the brake fluid will eventually get on your new brake shoes and destroy them.

Removal of old cylinders and brake lines (which feed them), is made easier with gingerly using a propane or micro-torch on the two small bolts and the brake line.
If in doubt, whip it ooooot.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2August 23, 2009, 02:11:50 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:11:50 am »
X2 on getting that wheel cylinder replaced..       AS far as your noise I'd guess maybe a spring or hold down let go....

Reply #3August 24, 2009, 12:28:25 pm

Doug

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:25 pm »
When brake shoes clunk like you describe under heavy application the shoe needs to be manually adjusted with the screw wheel adjustment on the self adjuster mechanism so that the shoe is just clearing the drum when no brakes are applied. I am assuming that all the springs, shoes and self adjusting mechanism are in good repair and operating correctly. If not then replace this stuff with new. The drums need to be true to the axle centre as well with no high spot. That is why you get them trued by turning on a lathe or drum machine when you replace the shoes.

Reply #4August 24, 2009, 03:32:25 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:25 pm »
Ive replaced the drums when I replaced the shoes. All the springs are in place and not over stretched. Everything seems to function as far as self adjusting. I am going to replace the wheel cylinder and will try and manually adjust the adjuster out.
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L

Reply #5August 24, 2009, 06:26:55 pm

Doug

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:55 pm »
Be aware that a lot of after market components like drums are not true even though they are nicely finished and appear good. A mechanic friend tells me that recently he has had such poor quality new drums that he routinely turns all new drums so that he does not have customer call back on his work. Most of these components are churned out of oriental factories of who knows what quality other than cheap.

Reply #6August 24, 2009, 09:17:45 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:45 pm »
I would assume that if something was untrue it would constantly make a noise and not slap only when braking hard. I have a new wheel cylinder and will adjust the shoes out to where they have just a touch of drag. I will probably get to it tomorrow after work.
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L