Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: urgently need some help, belt squeal and glow plug light flicker  (Read 2786 times)

August 19, 2009, 11:26:34 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
ok this is on a 1981 rabbit diesel ls with ac, the problem is that my car will let a squeal like the belt is slipping and the glow plug light will come on the high the rpms go, i am lost.  the only thing i can think of is that maybe the glow plug relay is stuck on or something and the v belt is slipping on the crank because today my car got really hot until i turned it off and then back on.  tomorrow i will try pulling the relay, maybe tonight yet and see if that makes the problem go away, thanks for any help, i need suggestions i don't wanna drive it like this

01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #1August 19, 2009, 11:36:33 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: urgently need some help, belt squeal and glow plug light flicker
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:33 pm »
i went and pulled the relay, that made the light go away but the belts still slipping on the crank, i;ll just really have to watch it tomorrow or it'll slip and my water pump won't flow and i will be in need of a car haha
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2August 20, 2009, 12:49:57 am

kane66

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:49:57 am »
why don't you just tighten the belt so it will stop squealing  ???. My alternator belt does that sporadically. I just tighten it a little more and I'm good to go, no more squeaks. I don't think the glow plugs have anything to do with your belt slipping. Completely different systems. The glow plug light could be that your water/diesel separator (I think thats what its called)  is full and needs emptied. Might not have one on your year, but its a common problem that when its full the glow plug light blinks on a car equipped with it. Any way hope that helps...
1985 Jetta WBE

Reply #3August 20, 2009, 09:15:52 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »
its not something i can just do in a parking lot with no tools rabbits with ac are a pain in the ass i have to remove the alternator then tighten the compressor then install the alternator and tighten it, rabbits do not have a water separator,  i dunno why the glow plug light would go out when it slipped, weird, either way i have it figured out now, scary when it slips the water temps shot up quick,

Reply #4August 21, 2009, 11:33:57 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:57 am »
its probably a ground issue. cause if it starts blinking, there is no reason for your belt to start slippin at the same time. unless its just so loose that the little drag the alternator has is slipping the crap out of it.

Reply #5August 21, 2009, 12:14:52 pm

arb

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »
scary when it slips the water temps shot up quick,

So, its the water pump belt that is slipping? Have you check your pump's bearings? Its rear for them to fail before the seal does, but it sure sounds like something is putting undue load on the belt if you have it tensioned correctly and it slips and the temps go  up.

Reply #6August 21, 2009, 05:02:03 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »
it could use some tightening, the belt is slipping on the crank pulley so i would say its not just the water pumps fault, we'll see once i tighten it, i think it just a loose belt.  the gp light doesn't blink it just like randomly flashes at different brightnesses

Reply #7August 22, 2009, 10:53:15 am

tSoG-84bit

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:15 am »
give me the car, and the problem will go away? I gotta agree w/ everyone, two separate problems, fix the squeal so you don't melt an engine, then find the reason for flashing gp light so you don't have a melty light bulb.
84bit 1.6na
Engine died, pulling it apart, putting something new in it's place.

Reply #8August 22, 2009, 01:02:13 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 01:02:13 pm »
tighten the god damn belts or you are gonna fry it. who cares if its a big project to do it, its way easier to tighten the belts than keep driving it and melt the damn thing down. these engines do not respond well to heat.

Reply #9August 24, 2009, 07:04:36 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:04:36 pm »
the gp light would act funny the same time the belt would slip, and now i've noticed my battery has a bunch of acid coming out of it but has all the proper voltages, regardless i need to get a new one since its leaking.  its something electrical now.

Reply #10August 24, 2009, 07:51:10 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:51:10 pm »
well it was running 14.5 volts which is high but not unheard of, then after fiddling a bit it would go to 17-18 volts, i was like oh *** son, so i put another vr in it, and it still went to 17, i was like o *** son, so i put a third one in and it still went to 17-18 volts and i was like oh *** son.  clearly this is the issue.  alternators are easy enough to change haha