Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: turbo vs supercharged diesel engine  (Read 13558 times)

Reply #15September 27, 2005, 04:16:01 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

Re: Supers and turbos
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 04:16:01 pm »
Quote from: "toomanycars"
but I think I read something about VW producing a turbo+supercharged Golf. The supercharger gets the thing going to defeat turbo lag, and then the turbocharger takes over. As I say, my memory is sketchy.

Thats a pertol engine.. 1.4 liter, supercharger & turbo = 170HP (Golf MK5 GT)

When selecting the proper turbo('s) for you engine the lag is neglibe, the 1.9TDI in my Audi A3 is awake from 1500rpm till redline.

Besides that, turbowhine is nice but a chargerroar is awsome  :lol:
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #16September 28, 2005, 03:38:19 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

turbo vs supercharged diesel engine
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 03:38:19 am »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
Quote from: "QuickTD"
Throttle response is a bit better than a turbo, other than that they are the clear loser in every other area of performance/efficiency.

throttle response is the only reason to run a supercharger over a turbo. and none of them come close to matching the sheer pull at the dip of the throttle of my old G60 setup.

I did a stage 4 G60 transplant into an A1 jetta earlier in the year. That car was absolutely nucking futz! It completely altered my opinion of supercharging. Longevity is yet to be proven, of course, but man! what a ride! anywhere in second gear, hammer it and you'd leave twin, bubbling gooey patches of rubber on the road. Which, you'd only be able to see if there was a wind to clear the tire smoke away.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!