S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: IP swap question  (Read 1441 times)

August 09, 2009, 05:04:44 pm

smokeme

IP swap question
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:04:44 pm »
first post, i was registered before but it now said invalid username for some reason..

I have a GTD but the question is actually for another engine..

I have a Fiat 1910cc 8v NA engine fitted with a crappy lucas epic junk, now i want to turbocharge this engine and fit a mechanical pump on it (prefer bosch  ;D )

my question is how critical is the injection pump to the engine, i mean can i get a pump from any other diesel that has more power and adapt it to work or is there some unknown factor..

i know we swap between 1.6 and 1.9 IPs with little trouble, was just wondering if one of them will work on the fiat engine.

thanks for any help.

Reply #1August 09, 2009, 06:41:09 pm

Rabbit on Roids

Re: IP swap question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:41:09 pm »
try a 1.6 pump if it will fit. i know lots of people use them to build lots of stuff. pretty universal. or, if you wanted to get real tricky and have everyone else super envious, take a mercedes 4 cyl IP and mount it on there. they are the same style of pump as the bosch P7100 found on 12 valve scummins engines.

Reply #2August 11, 2009, 09:43:14 am

smokeme

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:14 am »
It's just no one can explain to me what makes an IP pump compatible to the engine, it must have some sort of timing since it always needs to inject at the right time.. i'm refering to the physical timing of the pump rpm in relation to the crank rpm and not the static timing of the pump itself..

Reply #3August 11, 2009, 12:30:56 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30:56 pm »
yea, you would time it just like any other engine. set the engine, pump and cam to top dead center and figure out your firing order. its just like putting a MSD on a gas engine. basically just a better ignition setup. there is nothing inside the pump that determines that this pump only works on this engine. but were talking here that we can swap 4 cylinder pumps to 4 cylinders. and 6cyl pumps on their respective engines. i think someone should try mounting a mercedes inline pump on a different engine.

Fixmyvw.com