Author Topic: Injectors Rebuilt Twice....Still Leak...I'm stumped  (Read 6533 times)

Reply #30July 27, 2009, 03:28:07 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

Re: Injectors Rebuilt Twice....Still Leak...I'm stumped
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:07 pm »
It that's the case, then it sounds like they didn't lap the surfaces properly.

Reply #31July 27, 2009, 07:42:30 pm

Doakster

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:30 pm »

The hard part is that they can't get them to leak on the test stand, but they do in the car. after about 3 mins of run time.

If they can't get these things to work then I might call Giles and see what he can do for me.
1991 VW Jetta 1.6TD (Formally an ECO), Giles LDA Pump and Injectors, Techtonics 2.25" Down Pipe and Exhaust system, Rebuilt Trans with 3.94 final drive and a Peloquin Limited Slip Diff, Front H&R Sport Springs, MK4 VR6/1.8T front brakes, Single Round Headlight Conversion.

Reply #32July 27, 2009, 08:27:05 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »

The hard part is that they can't get them to leak on the test stand, but they do in the car. after about 3 mins of run time.

If they can't get these things to work then I might call Giles and see what he can do for me.
I just looked at your original post out of curiosity and yes I thought you said all 4 are leaking.  It kind of sounds like there might be some wrong parts in there or something made at the wrong spec., possibly not Bosch nozzles maby ???  I wouldn't think as many times as these things have been retorqued and such that all 4 would still leak.  One or two maby but still all 4 I think there is something wrong in there or their idea of lapping is to use a bench grinder or something close. 

Reply #33July 27, 2009, 08:46:51 pm

Doakster

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:46:51 pm »
I'm actually not sure if they are bosch nozzles or not in there. I'll have to ask, I'm still waiting back for a phone call from them on what they find.

I'm not saying they are doing everything correctly but I have no reason to expect they are not assembling them correctly, they are a real stand up shop and so far have been willing to help out, this also isn't the first set of injectors they've done or the first set of 1.6 injectors they've done. I really can't say they are doing anything wrong because I'm not there to watch them lap the injectors. However with all that said I'm patient but am getting a little irritated.

Also the first time around only 2 of the injectors leaked at first, with run time all four stared to leak, the second go around all 4 leaked.
1991 VW Jetta 1.6TD (Formally an ECO), Giles LDA Pump and Injectors, Techtonics 2.25" Down Pipe and Exhaust system, Rebuilt Trans with 3.94 final drive and a Peloquin Limited Slip Diff, Front H&R Sport Springs, MK4 VR6/1.8T front brakes, Single Round Headlight Conversion.

Reply #34July 27, 2009, 09:07:08 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:08 pm »
if you cannot get them fixed right ! I can fix them if they are still fixable?
I've done quite a few for guys here on the board!
Gile's is an excellent choice but he accross the boarder witch i'm in wisconsin!
shipping will be cheaper!
thanks Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

Reply #35July 27, 2009, 10:32:05 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:05 pm »
if you cannot get them fixed right ! I can fix them if they are still fixable?
I've done quite a few for guys here on the board!
Gile's is an excellent choice but he accross the boarder witch i'm in wisconsin!
shipping will be cheaper!
thanks Duane
I bought a set last Winter straight out from Giles with no cores sent up or back and from what I remember shipping was only around $20 or so, less than I thought it would be but you need it both ways I guess :-[  I'm sure a lot of reputable places today also get some low quality parts from their suppliers that originaly was better stuff before even unentionaly.  It's happening almost everywhere in almost every type of product there is.  Even in aviation related things from what I've read unless you know what you are looking at or who you are dealing with but things are changing everywhere and not for the better.  I'm so depressed right now about this I think I'll go hang myself, if I can find some decent quality rope ;D

Reply #36July 27, 2009, 10:42:54 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »

I've seen this once before... lapped, tested completely leak-free on the stand... confidently shipped them to the customer, who reported that a couple of them started leaking after about 10 minutes of run time.

Very annoying... fixed by me re-lapping, after which I ran 'em in my own car for a week to convince myself that I had it fixed.

My theory at the time... test stand cold.. engine after running for a few minutes hot... so perhaps if they were on the edge when cold warming them up exposes the problem.

Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #37July 28, 2009, 09:34:28 am

derekp

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:28 am »
I had similar problems with a set of rebuild injectors.

Sadly the person that did them apparently knew they were leaking cause the bodies had been torqued together to 130 ft lbs. (Yes, you read it right) and they still leaked at the bodies.

upon disassembly, I saw that (apparently) sandpaper had been used to "lap" the surfaces leaving scratch marks in the internal parts so deep that it would have taken a long time to get them smooth again.

It cost me having to throw away those complete assemblies - further the overtorquing caused the bodies to warp as was evidenced by the tigtening pattern found on the internal parts.

From my past experience of dealing with 2 differrent "shops" I'd take what you have and go somewhere else for another set of eyes to look them over.
It sure sounds like they are scractched or the bodies are distorted.
The fleet
92 eco diesel (my driver turned project)
94 suburban (mine)
69 Chevelle 327 w/hillborn - resting nicely
89 Jetta coupe (sons 16v ABA head swap w/turbo and megasquirt - not run yet)
2000 jetta (other sons)
98 jetta (daughters)
2001 jetta tdi (girlfriends)
03 subaru outback (girlfrie

Reply #38July 30, 2009, 12:44:49 pm

Doakster

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
Talked to Giles last night, and I've made the decision that I'll be sending them to him. I should have done that in the first place because he is about $100 cheaper than i originally paid.

Reply #39July 30, 2009, 08:01:46 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 08:01:46 pm »
If you take an injector apart and 'blue' the mating surfaces and then reassemble, and torque up to 30lbft, then redismantle; the leak areas will show up as blue... :)
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #40July 30, 2009, 09:40:55 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
Talked to Giles last night, and I've made the decision that I'll be sending them to him. I should have done that in the first place because he is about $100 cheaper than i originally paid.
You're exactly right and most of all you know what you will be getting and they are pop tested.

Reply #41July 31, 2009, 09:53:47 pm

Doakster

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 09:53:47 pm »
You're exactly right and most of all you know what you will be getting and they are pop tested.

Sent them out to him today, and he's even going to run them in a motor to ensure they don't leak. Good stuff.