Author Topic: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build  (Read 79581 times)

Reply #45December 11, 2009, 10:12:30 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Re: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:30 pm »
Did the Mount pic's help ?
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #46December 13, 2009, 08:56:32 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:32 pm »
just a quick update of this weekend's progress. The timing belt tensioner I had ordered did not fit. I think it is for a TDI. I got a couple of parts from autohaus AZ that did not fit and I think that is the issue. It says AAZ on the engine code, but it also says TDI so I think it is a mix of parts. I went to Autozone, Pepboys, and Napa and no one had a VW timing belt tensioner. Anyway since the tensioner looks just like my 1.6D tensioner I just ordered one of those and priority shipped it. Fingers crossed it will get here midweek. My silicone and aluminum bits for the intake are due to get here thursday. With no further issues next weekend should be the one.
on with the photos.

Here is the headgasket in place on the studs.

and here with the head torqued down to 80ft.lbs. That is the ARP specification, but I have read some people have taken them higher. What is the consensus on this?

One issue I did discover with the fitting of the PD150 intake is with the turbo oil supply line. However it was pretty easy to bend it a bit with a tubing bender and get it to work. The other issue I foresee is that my fitting for my boost gauge hose is very close to the turbine housing and is actually touching the heat shield between. I am going to try and find a kevlar jacket for a sparkplug wire to insulate it and route it as far above as possible.

here you can see the tighter bend in the oil line.

I have almost everything bolted back up. I just need to get the timing done so that I can finish it up.

One issue I am having is that the alternator bracket for this car is unusual. The bentley calls it out as with powersteering and without AC. It has a spring mounted under it and it acts as the tensioner for the serp belt. All the replacements I have been able to find look like the one on the right. It seems to me I have one of two options and neither is great.
1. move the guts from the working alternator with the wrong housing into the bad alternators housing
2. find the bracket and tensioner that will hold the working alternator. I'm not even sure about this because I think it was positioned above the AC compressor which I will not be running, and do not have
Plan C of course is to rig something up.
Someone has had to have encountered this before. What do you suggest I do to sort this out?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:19:15 pm by jack's lack »
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #47December 13, 2009, 09:19:59 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 09:19:59 pm »
Oof... Devil's in the details, huh? Do you have any electrical shops near you that might rebuild the original alt. for you? Otherwise, I'd try for a guts swap with the other one. You may even get away with just swapping the voltage regulator, that's usually what craps out, the rotor & stators hardly ever go bad... just clean up the contact armatures and make sure the brushes are in decent shape. Biggest hassle is going to be breaking those through-screws loose. PB-blast thoroughly first, as usual. :P
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #48December 14, 2009, 05:00:46 am

1outof5

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:46 am »
this is looking good  8)

Reply #49December 14, 2009, 09:30:22 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:22 am »
I know a specialty shop that just deals in starters/generators and mostly for rock crawlers and big trucks.  They do excellent work and they have an "old timer" on staff he personally fixed the generator for my 54' plymouth, and guess what they didn't have to send out for specialty parts :o they had all the obscure stuff in the shop they also are the largest retailer of interstate batteries on this coastline, like no joke, seriously sent the alt to them.  Ace alternator in yucca valley, CA.  These guys know their stuff, and they can refurb your trash man.  looks spectacular so far by the way, the giles tag was a nice touch.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #50December 14, 2009, 12:06:46 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »
That alt bracket doesnt look like mine ( AAZ ) there is a alt bracket on ebay for non-a/c

ITEM 150396210242

Ref your pulley/ tensionor see ebay item:290370187324 for engines up to year 1994/95

290370189262 Engine serial 5572766 with late model pump with timing on the adj on the pulley

there are two different models for engine #'s

Try some 5/8 i.d. fire jacket ( firesleeve ) from aircraft spruce for your harness

let me know, How did the rear mount pic's help ?

GB
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:20:23 pm by GEE-BEE »
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
MK1 JETTA DASH

Reply #51December 14, 2009, 12:42:08 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »
Thanks GB
the picture did help. I think I am just going to modify mine with das hacksaw  ;D
BFI was selling the gasser style but apparently they are out of stock and I don't want to waste a week trying to find one at a boneyard or on samba or ebay and then have to get a new mount pressed in. I am really anxious to get this done.

I ordered that alternator bracket. Thanks for the heads up. I figure it will open up a few more options for me.

Also I found a vendor on the tex selling ABF serp belt set ups for the MKI and he has the alternator 90A brand new, only problem is he is charging $350 for it with the bracket. I have PM'd him for a price sans bracket. would be nice to have a fresh alternator to go with my fresh engine.

Thanks Kevin, I might try and find a shop on the east coast first though. But getting it fixed for a backup is a great idea. I actually think my setup looks cleaner without the separate tensioner so I would prefer to run it.

I figured I would leave Giles' tag on that pump for the photos and give him a little free advertising. This is the second pump he has done for me, and the workmanship, the performance and the customer service have been nothing short of awesome.

Yeah Jerry, you always leave the last few difficult details for last and then they bite you in the bum. I just keep thinking about hearing it run for the first time. It is going to be worth it. How is your's going by the way? I haven't seen an update in sometime.
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #52December 14, 2009, 01:06:33 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 01:06:33 pm »
Glad you got the alt bracket, I have both brackets now with and without A/C both set's (4 )went to powder coat, I found a  brand new Bosch 90 amp alt on ebay

Iam non running air until next year when I do the cabby dash swap and will add a Scirocco  radiator and condenser, I have plenty of room with my Citi South African front end core support.

Iam waiting on a Ko4/KO3 hybrid coming the first of the year andwill wait for my giles pump at that time.

I have three cores going to Giles, all late model pump's, one has new hardlines and a complete set injector body's

Glad I could help...

P.S. Iam waiting on a complete set of AAZ engine hoses to go to the tool maker so we can have a set of silicone engine hoses in blue done., next will be the four body hoses , upper lower radiator and two coolant lines from the heater core for the MK1.

GB
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
MK1 JETTA DASH

Reply #53December 14, 2009, 06:31:58 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:58 pm »

P.S. Iam waiting on a complete set of AAZ engine hoses to go to the tool maker so we can have a set of silicone engine hoses in blue done., next will be the four body hoses , upper lower radiator and two coolant lines from the heater core for the MK1.

GB

I will be interested. I am doing blue silicone for the intake. Just let me know when they are ready. Do you have a ballpark on the price?

Thanks again for the heads up on that bracket

Ryan

P.S. I just got a message back from the guy on the Vortex $229 for a new 90A alternator with a 1 year warrantee. So I went for it. Now I'm gonna have backup. Oh and three 18" lengths of polished aluminum 2.5" piping showed up today  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:42:44 pm by jack's lack »

My Build Thread

Reply #54December 14, 2009, 08:48:43 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:43 pm »
You're gonna beat me to start-up. ;) Mine's almost exactly where you are in re-assembly, but it's a long way from going into the van... I'm pretty much shut down for the winter. No heat in the garage, and it's hard to get enthusiastic about bundling up to go work on anything. I still have to configure the van with the diesel fuel tank, run the lines for oil & intercooler, etc etc.
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #55December 14, 2009, 10:46:56 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2009, 10:46:56 pm »
Iam waiting on aaz engine hoses, I hope less than 135.00

GB

P.S.
The dude on ebay ( alt Bracket ) had a clean airbox and T2 with  AAZ exhaust manifold for 25.00 also that I need to go with the brand new T3 I got the other day ,I know gpopshop was looking for some cores so I had him ship it to them

KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
MK1 JETTA DASH

Reply #56December 15, 2009, 08:36:04 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:04 am »
Looking great!  All that and no glowplug pimping though?  ;)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #57December 15, 2009, 12:32:28 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 12:32:28 pm »
Looking great!  All that and no glowplug pimping though?  ;)

Brendan
:-[ I know, I knew someone was going to call me out on that. I'm going to do it eventually. I'm just trying to get it done. I'm going to need to redo the wiring harness at some point. I figured I'd save it till then. Plus it is 70ºF here today. So I don't need them as much as some of you guys anyway ;)

My Build Thread

Reply #58December 18, 2009, 11:56:52 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2009, 11:56:52 pm »
The engine is finally ready for the swap. Here's how it looks

I received the new 90A alternator last night. I had a hard time finding a 6PK belt short enough though this one is a 945mm I took a 923mm off of it.
I had ordered a conti-tech belt from Autohaus, but It is a 1045mm. I think it is for the other alternator on the other bracket.
Also it was hell getting the stock pulley off, but I finally did and I got the freewheel pulley

And the back. I put thermo wrap on the downpipe. It is not as pretty or durable as ceramic coating, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper and will have to do for now.

You can see in this one how the rear timing cover had to be modified a bit. This is so the MKI mount will fit.
 Gee Bee had emailed me pics of his, which jogged my memory as to how the passenger side mount bolted up.

here is the stock rear timing cover.

And here it is modified. the lip has to be cut off the rear, and the post that the outer cover screws into has to be removed.

finally here is a close up of it bolted to the engine.

So tomorrow the old engine comes out and this one goes in. We will see how much I get done.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:41:14 am by jack's lack »

My Build Thread

Reply #59December 19, 2009, 06:36:20 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »
Well here is the score for today
Volkswagen  1
Ryan           0

I have had to remove both manifolds and the alternator from the 1.6L to get it out of the car.
The issue is that the damn driveshafts are in the way, and I do not have a socket big enough to get them off.
What size is it anyway? I need to get one because eventually I'm going to have to do them.
The nuts are rusty as hell too. Going to be one of those PB blast, torch, repeat jobs for sure.

So right now the 1.6D is sitting on a dolly and the car is up on jackstands. Tomorrow morning I'm going to jack it up high and slide the old lump out

Then I need to swap the transmission, motor mount and a few other items over to the AAZ and slide it under.
I think I will need to take the alternator off of the AAZ for sure, and probably the turbo. I think the manifolds will clear though.
It is just the turbo that sticks out pretty far. Nothing sticks out as far as the 1.6NA intake manifold though. That thing is an ugly beast.

Damn the winter for the cold and the short days. I really need a garage.

My Build Thread

Fixmyvw.com