Author Topic: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build  (Read 79565 times)

Reply #90February 06, 2010, 10:14:01 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

Re: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »
Andrew, I did not bead the pipe ends. Do you think they are going to leak, or blow off? I don't have access to that kind of equipment.
And I love it too. Working on a car is so simple. There is always a right answer it is just a matter of troubleshooting. I always feel a sense of accomplishment.
The end of most days of grad school I usually feel overwhelmed and confused, which I am beginning to think is the point. Good thing I will be done in May.

The IC works really well though, I was doing 70mph on the highway 10PSI for about 10 minutes and the EGT's held at 700ºF. The water temp stayed at 2 ticks below center, which means my low temp T-stat appears to be working. Oil temp held at about 205ºF so the FMIC does not seem to be preventing the radiator from doing its job. The true test will come this summer when we hit that 110º heat index.

The clutch is slipping right around 12PSI and I can't build much more than that right now. I really need to get a boost controller and a new clutch so I can see what this thing can do.
Already it is not even the same car. I think it feels like it will be nearly as quick as my R32!! btw I have been missing her a lot less recently.
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #91February 07, 2010, 12:14:09 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:09 am »
I like it.......

I am relocating the battery ( Ultima ) behind the passenger seat and this will make it easier for me to go straight to the front drivers side intercooler inlet

Glad the 1.6 coolant flange worked and the 8v hose I sent fit as needed, thanx for sharing.

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #92February 07, 2010, 08:56:42 am

ein bora

• Veteran

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2010, 08:56:42 am »
Great thread - very inspirational....Lots and lots of helpful information. I'm contemplating doing a rebuild on my 1.9 so this will be very helpful. Thanks to all for sharing.

jack's lack - I have to hand it to you, all this and no garage or major shop tools and working on a thesis to boot. Your an inspiration - great project, great looking car, two thumbs up to you!

Man I love this site.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:07:32 am by ein bora »
If you can't take advice - then you can't be helped!

Reply #93February 10, 2010, 08:19:03 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »
ein bora, thanks for the love, and good luck with your project.

Andrew, I am going to have to try to rig one of those tools up. Thanks for the tip. Added to the punch-list.

so another little project. I got this from boostvalve. It is the ball and spring type. It came with two different springs. I installed the heavy one
first step was to remove the hardline that runs from the compressor housing to the wastegate.

Next I used a tubing cutter to cut a piece out of the hardline

I used my bubble flair tool that I had to do the brake lines to flare the end of the tube to discourage leaks. If only I had one for a 2.5" pipe.

Here is the final assembly ready to go in the car

Here it is in the car. Sorry about the photo I took it tonight when I finished. I had to use the flashlight to complete the job.
the valve is held in place with the bolt and hole that previously held the hardline to the compressor housing. The location is quite convenient for adjustment.

I have about 5 or 6 threads showing on the controller. I took the car out and let it build some serious boost on the on-ramp. The wastegate is opening right at 20-21PSI. Perfect on my first try. The clutch of course is slipping when the accelerator is about half way to the floor, but I can get it to make 20PSI in 5th gear without slipping. EGT's were awesome under 900ºF the whole time.

Of course it is actually below freezing here right now. I have had it with the El Nino. My house is on a pier foundation. It was built in 1905 which means no insulation whatsoever and it leaks like a sieve. My floor is like walking on ice. I don't know how you guys up north do this.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:19:05 am by jack's lack »
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #94February 15, 2010, 02:56:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2010, 02:56:34 pm »
I don't know how you guys up north do this.

Cold? COLD!? Cold is replacing a CV joint while its snowing, and -20C (-4F) before wind-chill ;)

I just read all 7 pages was it? and I LOVE YOUR PROGRESS and determination to detail. Dammnnnnn lol.

Really good work throughout this entire thread!

Reply #95February 20, 2010, 09:59:27 am

smoken u

• Junior

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2010, 09:59:27 am »
awesome work man
1990 VW jetta 1.6 td, 2.5" exhaust, no muffler, governor mod 2010 edition, K&N filter. and now 66 hp and 136 ftlbs.
project 1.6 liter in the works  :)
-------------------------------------------------------
You don't rev a VW diesel, you increase the clatter.

Reply #96March 21, 2010, 12:40:41 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »
I have solved the clutch slip issue

With ACT Heavy Duty Pressure plate. ACT says these are good for 357 ft/lbs of torque, which gives me plenty of room to grow  ;D

I considered going with their modified sprung disc (no pucks), which is rated at 279 ft/lbs, but I decided better safe than sorry.
It is going to take me a little while to learn to drive this thing. I have stalled it twice, and I can't remember the last time I felt like I couldn't drive a stick  :-[
Sometimes I get it right and it is a smooth take off, but often I just lurch it. The rivets on my ring gear are not going to last long like this. I think in a week I'll have it dialed in.

I'm pretty sure my old clutch got some coolant, oil, water, or some combination all over it because it was kinda greasy and did not look happy

This guy isn't even that old it is a Sachs 210mm 16v'er clutch

And it made quite a mess in here. I cleaned the flywheel when I did the swap. This is after 1,000 miles!!! I cleaned it really well with some brake cleaner before I reinstalled it.

I have come up with a few explanations for the problem. First I did not have a timing check cover. The car did not have one when I bought it, and I could never find one. I found one on the german autoparts website, so that issue has been addressed.
Second I installed the engine with the galvanized metal cover that came with the AAZ, which was apparently for an 02A and left the bottom of the pressure plate exposed. So when I changed the clutch I swapped it for the 020 one that was on my 1.6D

02A is on the left, 020 on the right.

The end result is that the clutch no longer slips and this thing is a beast! I took it out on the highway and floored it on the on ramp. I am amazed at how quick it is. I was making 25PSI so I swapped the softer spring into my boost controller and did a few runs to get it dialed in around 20PSI max. EGT's build to 1200ºF pretty quickly with the pedal on the floor, and obviously it makes a little black smoke. When I let off to about 3/4 pedal though they drop down to around 900ºF and I am still accelerating.

It is a lot quicker than I thought it would be. I feel that I have achieved my goal of making this thing as quick as my sister's MKIV 1.8T Jetta, of course now she is trading it in for a Japanese subcompact so I will never get to confirm this. ::)

Next I am going to relocate my air filter under the hood, because I can't take the noise anymore. Also I have come up with a way to connect the hockey puck to the intake as part of the same modification. I will have to relocate the fuel filter to do this, so I got some new fuel line to accomplish this. Pics to come soon.

Also the radiator is leaking pretty badly, so I bought a new one. I got the kind with the integrated reservoir to clean the bay up a bit, but I can see that mounting it will take some rigging. I will post up picks on how I work it out, when I do.

Finally I decided I would upgrade to the USRT shift linkage, when I did the clutch, but my kit is missing a piece. It makes me crazy when you pay good $$$ for parts and they show up with pieces missing. Do I just have bad luck, or is this the accepted standard? So anyway it will have to wait, and I don't know when I am going to have time to get to it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:18:52 pm by jack's lack »

My Build Thread

Reply #97March 21, 2010, 12:50:47 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
yeah, pucked clutches take some getting used to.
I am running a four puck and found that the best way to keep it from being jerky and stalling is to NOT use the throttle much when clutching out from a stop.

just smoothly pull the clutch out and just give it a little bit of fuel, once you have your foot of the clutch pedal you can get crazy with the throttle.

on the other side, if you want a tire burning start, bury the throttle, let the revs come up and simply pull your foot off the clutch fast, it will grab, and you will go. none of the slipping your old clutch used to do(this is what these clutches were built to do)

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #98March 21, 2010, 03:55:24 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2010, 03:55:24 pm »
Looks great. The polished pd intake really sets the engine off visually. I'll definitely have to get one sometime.

Any plans for a different turbo?
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #99March 22, 2010, 10:08:55 am

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2010, 10:08:55 am »
Thanks Owen, I think I was giving it too much fuel. It does seem a lot smoother to let the clutch almost entirely out before giving it diesel.

Any plans for a different turbo?
Maybe not in the near future, but the thought has crossed my mind. I love the quick spool on the K14, but I am concerned about running it up to 20psi. I drove it on the highway for a few hours at 70mph and it was making 10-15psi for that entire time. The oil temps got pretty high. Part of my plan is to build a 020 transmission with a tall ring and pinion and run a .71 5th so its like a 1-4 + 6 setup, but I don't know if that will be enough. I think if I go through the trouble of changing the downpipe, exhaust manifold, and oil lines, that I might as well go for a VNT Turbo. That way I could see nearly instant boost, but not be way outside of efficiency on the highway. why, what were you thinking?

My Build Thread

Reply #100March 22, 2010, 03:07:45 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:45 pm »
The problem with the k-series turbos is that they max out their egt's before their boost. As you have seen already. You aren't really getting the most out of your ported head and custom exhaust because the turbo is the bottleneck in the system. I think you should look at a larger frame vnt like a vnt20 or so. Even a T3 would be a better match for your engine and light mk1 chassis, imo.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #101March 28, 2010, 12:41:21 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

video
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
A little bridge climbing and highway fun, enjoy.

My Build Thread

Reply #102March 28, 2010, 04:17:28 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2010, 04:17:28 pm »
can't wait, looks like a real blast. ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #103March 29, 2010, 02:08:08 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »
Road looked like a real stagecoach ride..... !

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #104April 18, 2010, 03:07:41 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2010, 03:07:41 am »
Wow. just wow.
everything...
wow.
dash
engine
gauges are mint
turbo bark
everything. im going to make a vid tomorrow once and for all so everyone can laugh at me.

ps. im in love with you and your car.
holy hell it must be a fun ride

my thoughts: a T3 or a bigger GT something  something would make that engine sheer drive line parts and melt tires off the rims.
it would go like, as my budd says my car does, "a raped ape".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:09:43 am by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Fixmyvw.com