Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build  (Read 79577 times)

Reply #60December 20, 2009, 04:34:16 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2009, 04:34:16 am »
easiest way for me was remove bolts to the D/P from the mani. remove the intake plumbing then unbolt the head as soon as thats done then unbolt the tranny and pick out the engine weighs about 125 wet and 88.5 dry could be wrong, prove me wrong, I am a MARINE and am in pretty good shape "if I do say so myself" and often underestimate my own strength.  oh and an impact helps for the castle nuts on the drivehsafts a 28 if I remember the size corectly.  good luck
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #61December 20, 2009, 08:54:55 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 08:54:55 am »
The axle nut is 30mm and the inner ones are triple square 8mm.

As for your issue with the tensioner I think I know what happened. In 95 (or part way through) VW changed the design of the tensioner. They stuck with that design all the way through 2003 (I think). Your head is from a pre 95 engine so it has the old style tensioner. You are correct in ordering one for the 1.6.

That's a very sexy looking engine by the way :o
Tyler

Reply #62December 20, 2009, 08:20:34 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2009, 08:20:34 pm »
Thanks for the info and the compliment Tyler. Yeah the 1.6 tensioner fits thanks for answering that for me. Who needs a later style tensioner?

NintendoKD, I'm 6'-1" 150 lbs on a good day. I'm built for endurance, not power. There is no way I could pick this lump up. The best I could do was scoot it around, and I am sore as hell from that.

Okay picture time

So I got the old engine out in a few hours this morning. I just jacked up the car as high as I could on my jackstands and wrestled it out

I have always wanted to post a picture of my engine bay empty and waiting for a fresh new motor. I must admit it feels good.

Well I separated the transmission and took off my clutch flywheel pressure plate assembly for the swap, took off the plastic elbow off the bottom of the water pump that holds the thermostat as mine was different from the AAZ one, and I need it to mate up with my radiator hose. And I grabbed the motor mount too. You can see in this photo how it held the injection pump as well. The sharpie line is where I had to cut it.

Here it is modified. a little notch has to be taken off the top too. It fits like a dream though. The injection pump half went back on the NA motor, now it will work with a gasser mount.

so I strapped the fresh motor to a handtruck and wheeled it out of the house and down the back stairs (let me tell you that was fun). The first floor of my house is about 4' off the ground so not too many steps, but enough to make me pretty nervous.

After the stair adventure I bolted up the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, and transmission. I got the shift linkage and the duckbill spoiler out of the way, and then I slid it under and wrestled it into position. The little dolly I made was more trouble than it was worth. I ended up just sliding the engine under on a piece of 3/4" plywood. I took off the right front tire and I let the car down as low as I could. jacked the belt side of the engine up a hair and slid the bolt for the passenger mount in. It was hell, but I got it lined up eventually. Then I just jacked the transmission up and got the driver side mount in. That one was way easier of course.

here is how it looks. I got it a little dirty on the install. I will have to clean it up before the final assembly photos. After the photo was taken I jacked the car back up and got the shift linkage back in and put the turbo on. Unfortunately I ran out of daylight at that point. The rest must wait until tomorrow. I hope to hear it run by the end of the day. I am so psyched about that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:29:51 am by jack's lack »
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #63December 20, 2009, 10:13:30 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
No Cherry picker? wow! I gotta hand it to ya great job "to be brutally honest" i would have done something similar. ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #64December 21, 2009, 07:59:42 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »
Today I got everything hooked up except the intercooler and radiator.
The Intercooler is too big  >:(  it is about 13.5" tall and I have about 12.5" to work with. I have no idea what to do.
I think I am going to just run without it and connect the turbo outlet directly to the intake manifold until I find a smaller intercooler and sell this one.
I am so disappointed, but I don't want to start cutting big pieces out of my radiator support.
I'm going to be beyond busy with my thesis until June. I guess it will have to wait until then.

The exhaust was also a pain in the ass. It was missing one of the clips and a rubber hanger, but what really pissed me off is that the down pipe was too long, I had to cut 1.5" off of it to get it to fit. It probably could still do to be a 1/4" to 1/2" shorter. I know a lot of people on here speak highly of techtonics tuning, but I will never buy anything from them again. I paid nearly $1,000  for it. The flange was for the wrong turbo, the downpipe was too long and it was missing a hanger, oh and it took 2 months from the time I ordered it. I realize a certain amount of trouble is going to be part of a custom job, but I think this was too much. Anyway it is in now and it looks great.

I have been working on this thing from sunup to sundown for the last 3 days. I really need to hear it run soon.
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #65December 22, 2009, 01:52:33 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2009, 01:52:33 am »
Ouch !

I paid 300.00 for the KO3 S/S 2.5 DP from them and another 315.00 for a complete 2'5 flowmaster exhaust for the caddy, I wanted a comlpete S/S exhaust and they said no.

So I ceramic coated the complete exhaust with the drilled and tapped the AAZ exhaust manifold.

let me know what you need for the I.C. in size and parts ( Silicone Coupling's etc . )

I know people..

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #66December 22, 2009, 05:13:57 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »
I think there might be a few who are slapping their foreheads after reading that Andrew...

1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #67December 22, 2009, 11:50:23 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:23 pm »
Thanks guys. I had the 3 notch that came with the motor so I swapped it out for that. Took about 6 hours to do.
That was a great save Andrew as soon as you mentioned it I noticed the difference.

I had a couple coolant leaks, but I fixed those quickly enough.
It took forever to get the damn pump primed.
Eventually I got it to start, but only with the cold start pulled and it runs really rough sputtering and creating a lot of smoke.
I kept having to rev it  to keep in running putting in about 5psi of boost. Even still it cut out a few times.

Any thoughts? I have never started a fresh motor before and I have no idea what to expect, but I think it should run better than this.
Am I lacking compression because I should be running a one notch? Is there still air in the fuel?

I timed the pump at .036", my dial indicator is in inches, but that is about ,91mm. Giles said .90mm to .95mm

I'm kinda wishing I just left it alone at this point. At least the 1.6 was running.

My Build Thread

Reply #68December 23, 2009, 12:00:24 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2009, 12:00:24 am »
any way to prime that pump faster?  I'm thinking using a gator grip socket on an electric drill on a low speed and just turn the darn thing and then time it.  No?  Bad idea? good idea?  make it a how to and sticky it? 8)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #69December 23, 2009, 12:36:35 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2009, 12:36:35 am »
*Slaps forehead*

SON of a BEEEAAAATCH! :P What's bumming me out is that I have no idea which one I installed... Hopefully I can dig up a receipt or copy of the order, that was back in March. Or maybe I have a photo of it in the camera.
Nice catch, Andrew. I had no idea there was a difference.
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #70December 23, 2009, 12:37:57 am