S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build  (Read 79575 times)

Reply #15August 22, 2009, 10:48:47 am

stewardc

Re: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 10:48:47 am »
I'm greatly envious of your PD150 intake. I presently have a 1.6 intake on my AAZ and am looking for a good/cheap intake to replace it with.
Great build....you'll love the AAZ in the bunny-I do.

Reply #16August 28, 2009, 11:03:37 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:03:37 am »
Nice EGR block off plate on ebay 22.50

search : VW EGR

ITEM : 370081915897

Iam using McNally gauges on mine , Ouch 780.00 for a set of three

OIL TEMP/ PSI
WATER  / VOLT
EGT/PSI BOOST
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #17September 02, 2009, 06:52:46 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 06:52:46 pm »

So this showed up in the mail. It really does not get much better than opening a box and finding this. ;D

I ordered seats and inner springs, so I am playing with a full deck now.

I finished my P&P job, got the ports matched and got all the casting marks out. like it has been said before this isn't hard, just very tedious and time consuming. I caught a dremmel on fire in the process, so now I am on number 3. Some day I will have to invest in a nice big air compressor.
The head has the usual cracks between the valves and some around a couple of the prechambers, but nothing looks too bad.

I got the injectors, also rebuilt by Giles, and new bosch fast glow plugs in. And yes I used new heat shields, I don't know why I had 2 of the old ones in the photo above. Reassembly was a lot easier than I anticipated, getting the keepers back in was a little tricky, but no where near the headache I was prepared for. I forgot to order a camshaft oil seal, so the cam will have to wait until I order new rings, because there is no way I am paying shipping for such a tiny part.

Some of you wanted to see pictures of how the PD intake fit so here you go. You can see in the last picture the post that had to be trimmed to clear the compressor housing. These photo are taken with gaskets in place, so it should be identical to final assembly.

Finally I broke the bottom end down. Two sets of bearings were chewed up, which explains all the metal I found in the oil pan. This scored the crank a bit too, but no worries since I am using a 1Z crank. What causes this to happen?

Next up I am going to take measurements of the bores and the pistons. Fingers crossed it will just be a hot-bath, a hone, and a re-ring.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:52:09 pm by jack's lack »
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #18September 02, 2009, 07:21:54 pm

GIDDY_UP_GO

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »
Love the rims!

Your wife must be pretty cool to let you put all those dirty ole parts all over the house and on the counter top!  ;D My wife would have a fit!

When you put the engine back into the car, do you leave the turbo and manifolds installed on the head? Do you place the bottom end in 1st then place the head on with all the intake exhaust and turbo already installed onto the head? (Just curious, I have never taken an engine out or installed one, and probably never will)

Thanks for taking the time to show and explain your build! I am envious of your skillz!
86 MK2 Golf Diesel

Reply #19September 02, 2009, 08:26:18 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 08:26:18 pm »
Thanks, and I'm not married, not sure if I would be for long if I was living with a woman and working on this project in the house ;).  I don't think anyone's wife is that cool. I really need a garage. Plus the parts are pretty clean now, that's why the sink is an absolute mess ;D

As for the install, I'm still a bit from that point, but the plan is to completely assemble the engine, jack the car way up and slide the engine under and into place, then lower the car and bolt up the mounts. Once it's in I'll bolt up the down pipe intercooler piping wiring, hoses and the like. I think this will work, but like anything on an old VW I have come not to expect it to go smoothly on the first try.

Skillz huh? The only reason I am confident in doing this is because of the wealth of knowledge available on this forum. Between the bentley manual and the search function here I have answered almost all of my questions. When I do have a question the knowledgeable people on this forum have been quick to weigh in, without the pretension and judgment you might find on another very popular forum where on every thread some jacka$$ posts an animated gif of someone ejaculating on the screen. Seriously thanks to everyone for your help and support. This has been a lot of fun.

I forgot to mention in my update that I got the manual steering rack, tie rods, tie rod ends, u-joint shaft and new boots all swapped in. I did the old eyeball alignment on the driveway, with a bit of negative camber. I took it out on the highway, and wow what a difference. I have never felt so in control, almost like the car is anticipating what I want it to do. I had to modify the bracket that holds the shift linkage to the steering rack a bit, I just had to drill a hole and move a bolt. Other than that it was way easier than re-installing the power steering rack. I am gonna sell all of the power steering parts, so if someone is looking to go the other way, shoot me a pm

I spent a few hours at the cash&cary the other day and I grabbed a 120A bosch alternator out of a MKIII passat , but I took it to the autozone and it's fried, so there goes $20. They did have an audi with black leather seats that were in great shape. I think I am gonna have to call and ask how much $. I think they would look really good, and if I see another set of plaid recaros in a MKI I may have a fit. My MKIII seats are just not to my liking. Oh the same audi also has a K26 bolted to it, maybe I should grab that too?
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #20September 03, 2009, 10:44:43 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:43 am »
Looking Good !

Should of ceramic coated that exhaust manifold !

Iam ceramic coating from the DP back, it's a 2'5 Techtonic's

Gee-Bee
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:47:54 am by GEE-BEE »
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #21September 03, 2009, 11:37:53 am

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 11:37:53 am »

Should of ceramic coated that exhaust manifold !

I'm still seriously considering it, I will probably send it off to Swaintech with the pistons and the turbine housing as well, but I am running low on funds, this project is going to drag on longer than I expected, oh well.

My Build Thread

Reply #22September 03, 2009, 03:33:34 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:34 pm »
Yeah, that's how these things go.  My project was originally going to be a hone, ring, and go, but almost a year later and we are just now in the finishing stages.  :P

Looking great so far!!!

Your plan for installing the engine sounds good.  I bet you will find that it actually will go as easy as you said it will.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #23September 08, 2009, 08:06:48 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:48 pm »
So I took the measurements and great news, all are well within tolerances and a lot were dead-on pistons are all within .001" I made a spreadsheet for the bore measurements. the worst number is .0025", and Bentley says .0039" is the limit. So we are good right? I'm gonna call around tomorrow and find a shop to hot tank and hone it, then I am gonna call swaintech and get these pistons off, and order a set of rings. Finally some good news on this thing. 8)

Also the 1Z crank pictured left has a disk bolted to it that the AAZ crank does not have. What is it? and can I remove it?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:57:25 pm by jack's lack »

My Build Thread

Reply #24September 08, 2009, 11:49:02 pm