S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build  (Read 79573 times)

Reply #105April 18, 2010, 11:09:56 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Re: kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
Use this guy for your trans build : VWTRANSAXLE.COM

375.00 for a OHC , plus he will install your Peloquin

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #106April 26, 2010, 12:53:26 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2010, 12:53:26 pm »
Wow, I must have something wrong then.  No boost at highway speed, with EGT's at around 900F or so.

Of course, it's not intercooled and I have the fuel cranked up a bit.

This build is amazing.  Good job!

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #107April 27, 2010, 10:13:02 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »
At 01:00 it looks just like your avatar picture. :D
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #108July 09, 2010, 11:39:19 pm

speedy

• Junior

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2010, 11:39:19 pm »
Awesome build!  Your skills and determination are remarkable.  Although I can't figure out how students have time and money for such things, certainly wasn't the case for me when I was in school.

Wouldn't a K24 turbo be more appropriate for an engine like this?  I am running one on my 1.6TD as it came from the factory.  Some may say it's too big for a 1.6 and I won't argue, but for an upgraded 1.9 I would think the K24 would be a good match while  to my admittedly untrained eye the K14 looks like a major restriction.

Thank you for taking the time to document and post your work - it will be a great resource for others.

-David
 http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus

Reply #109July 21, 2010, 06:33:28 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2010, 06:33:28 pm »
Thanks. My glib answer to school, time, and money would be coffee and Visa ;), but the next two paragraphs offer a more detailed explanation, because I fear I may have come off as someone who I am not.

As for time, I did most of work between academic quarters when i was out on break. The bulk of the work was done in the summer and the remainder was done during fall break between the thanksgiving and xmas holidays. I have since graduated and received a Professional Master of Architecture with a cumulative GPA of 4.0 which also works out to about the average number of hours I slept per night during the term. So trust me my thesis did not suffer because I was fooling around with my car.

As far as the money. I do not have a car loan. I do most of my getting around on foot or on a bicycle which means I buy a tank of diesel once every other month or so. I am not married, and I don't have kids. I own an old duplex and rent out half which pays most of my mortgage. I paid for school with loans. I worked at a firm part time all through school so I had some discretionary income which I chose to spend on my car.

Regarding the turbo, you are spot on. The K14 is way too small. If I am just getting around the city it is no big deal because I am only making boost when I am accelerating from a stop. Granted I am making 15-20 psi on every shift, but it is not sustained for any length of time. On the highway however once I get over 65mph this little hairdryer starts making over 10psi and it gets hot. EGT's at this point are about 600ºF. We are seeing temps over 90ºF here for most of the day this time of year so ambient air temp over the black asphalt on the highway has got to be in the triple digits. My oil temp climbs up to about 250ºF and just stays there and water temp is about 1.5 ticks from the orange on the old VDO temp gauge in the cluster. It all feels a bit too much like a time-bomb to me.

I am thinking if I go to the trouble and expense of changing turbos I am going to switch to a VNT17/22 hybrid and rig up a mechanical vane control borrowing heavily from Andrew Libby's setup. This will no doubt cost me a couple grand, and I just don't have the coin at this point.

For now I am going to trade the oil/water cooler for an oil/air cooler, and see where that gets me. I am also going to try to rig up a two-speed fan and a lower temp fan switch for my radiator. I am also still toying with the idea of building a transmission with a taller ring and pinion and a big 5th gear giving me ostensibly a 1-4 + 6  setup

I will of course document whatever it is I end up doing.

Cheers
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #110August 16, 2010, 09:16:04 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »

Well I have put 3,000 miles on the AAZ so it was time for an oil change so I figured this would be the best time to attack the oil cooler swap.
I purchased the thermostatic sandwich plate from Summit per Andrew's recommendation.
I had the Volvo oil cooler from a trip to the pick and pull a few years back.
I went to Napa and had them fab some hydraulic lines. Using rubber hoses and clamps seemed a little too fragile to me.
I also ordered hoses to delete the coolant lines running to the stock cooler. I just ordered the hoses for a N/A motor.
The hose that runs from the cylinder head to the water pump is a little short, but it works.
Also the "crack pipe" on the N/A motor is smaller in diameter than the AAZ's. I swapped it back in so I would have one less hole to plug.
The coolant lines were the hardest part. This is largely due to the fact that I put the hoses on the engine when I was assembling it, and as a result the hose clamps were not oriented in a way that made them accessible in the car with the injection pump in place.

The next hiccup I ran into was that I needed to grab the shorter threaded shaft from a motor without the oil/water cooler. Luckily for me I still have my N/A motor handy.
What I removed is on the right. What went in its place is on the left. The hole in the center of the sandwich plate is larger in diameter than the stock cooler. This means you can't bolt it up with the stock threaded shaft and nut. You have to use their adaptor. This also meant a trip to the store to buy a 1-1/8" Deep Socket. Apparently their are still people not using the metric system.

So here it is in place with the hydraulic lines. The woman who helped me at napa did not have swivels for the male end, so that made installation a bit harder as these lines are very stiff, and will snap back and slap you in the face. Don't ask me how I know  :-[

Here is the other end of the lines. This photo is taken from the drivers side just in front of the wheel. The cooler is mounted underneath the battery. It has a little metal scoop on it to grab some of the air flowing under the car. We will see how well it works.

Here it is again from a lower

And looking down on it from the top.

I whimped out and took the air filter out of the rain tray and it is 5,000 times quieter. The piping is strapped to the firewall so it will stay in place
In the process I plumbed the hockey puck to the intake with some pricy silicone. I need to get this stuff fabricated when I am finally happy with the setup. I think it will stay this way until I upgrade the turbo. I have installed a new radiator a while back that has an integrated reservoir. This cleans up the bay a bit, and it does not leak like my old one did.
I relocated the fuel filter to the passenger side fender wall so I could have room for the intake.
I also installed the USRT linkage kit for the transmission which replaces all the steel balls and plastic sockets with Heim joints. It is marginally nicer, but it was a total PITA. It required a lot of cutting, drilling, and sanding not to mention I had to adjust the lengths of the rods about 20 times before I had 1st gear again.

Anyway next up is a slim radiator fan or two with an adjustable switch.
cheers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:35:03 am by jack's lack »
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #111September 01, 2010, 11:18:54 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2010, 11:18:54 am »
Nice work!!!

What is the fitting used on the Volvo oil cooler?  I have the same cooler in the Golf, but I made the Volvo sandwich adapter work and I'd rather use the unit that you have.  Are the sandwich adapter lines NPT?  How much did the hydro lines end up costing you?  I need the exact same set I think to work with what I got.

I suppose I could pull the cooler and take it to the shop but I'd rather not try and transport an oil leaking mess if I can get away with it.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #112September 01, 2010, 12:43:57 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »
Thanks Lord V. The Volvo unit is 1/2" NPT male the Hayden sandwich is 3/8"NPT female so you have to get custom lines fabricated. Too bad cause the northern tool preassembled 3/8" male to male are way cheaper. The swivel ends were the most spendy part. Grand total was $60 for the hydraulic lines!!! small price to pay for peace of mind though considering the time, money, and heart I have put into this build.

I drove it up to Charleston SC last weekend. Oil temps stayed below 220ºF until I got on I95 and started doing 70mph then they were back up in the 250ºF range. I don't think at that speed enough air is getting picked up by the scoop. The good news is that the coolant temp is now 1 tick below center in these same conditions. the core is 4"x11" so I have ordered a Spal 4" puller fan with a 195º thermostat and relay (turns fan on at 195ºF and off at 175ºF. Remember the sandwich plate starts to send oil to the cooler at 160ºF and all of it by 180ºF so they should be a good team) If the single fan does not do the trick I will add a second one they pull about 120 CFM ea. IIRC. Pics and analysis to follow.

My Build Thread

Reply #113September 02, 2010, 10:20:51 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2010, 10:20:51 am »
Thanks Jack!

So the Volvo fittings are 1/2" NPT??  Weird, I could have sworn they were something else.  Did you take out the "adapter" fitting in the cooler?  I'll have to look at mine again and see what I'm dealing with.

250F is pretty hot.  I don't think I've seen my temps go above 90C- 194F.  Hope you get that sorted out.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #114September 02, 2010, 05:50:13 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 05:50:13 pm »
I didn't have any adapters on the Volvo unit. I must not have pulled them from the donor. Honestly that was years ago when I was considering turboing my NA motor, and I scarcely remember what I grabbed that day. I mated my new hydraulic lines to male threads that are integral to the unit. They are the 1/2" size. I took both the plate and the cooler to Napa with me to have the lines made just to make sure everything fit. Luckily I had not run it yet so there was no oily mess to deal with.

My Build Thread

Reply #115September 02, 2010, 07:58:23 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:23 pm »
How many bolts attach the passenger side engine mount to the engine? Do you think you lost any strength by cutting the bracket in half? Could you just use a gasser bracket along with the aaz ip mount?
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #116September 02, 2010, 09:41:52 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 09:41:52 pm »
There are still 4 bolts holding it to the side of the block. This is the same number as before, and it makes it pretty much the same as the gasser bracket. I don't think it really lost any strength. I could have used a gasser mount with the aaz ip bracket, but I did not have one and there are not many MKI VW's in the junkyards around here, and by the time I got to that point I wasn't about to wait another week to install the engine to order one.

My Build Thread

Reply #117March 31, 2011, 10:08:12 pm

Stix212

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2011, 10:08:12 pm »
wow

Reply #118April 01, 2011, 10:44:05 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
Did you get my longer 068121053 E hose i sent you  ?

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #119June 08, 2011, 09:14:53 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

kaputtwagen 1982 rabbit AAZ swap/build
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »
Time for an update!

Firstly my SoWo Woes. I had a thread up about it, but I am going to post here with pictures as well. Basically 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the IP to the block backed out and sheared off, but amazingly it was still running!!! I noticed the problem only after having driven the 330 miles from Savannah to Helen. I started the car and it seemed especially clacky so I popped the hood and to my horror I observed my timing belt cover jumping around. Well there's your problem. Sadly the car never made it to the show. It took me a couple days, but I got it buttoned up enough to limp it home, and finish up the repair there. Images follow.

This picture was taken just after I got the pump off. This was my first glimpse at how bad it was. eeek

Obviously what I found behind the bracket. You can see the remains of both of the bottom bolts still in the holes.

This is what I was able to recover. One bolt came out easily by cajoling it out with an automatic center punch. The third bolt I tried everything on to no avail, and in the end drilling it out with successively larger bits did the trick.

Here it is with 4 12.9 grade socket cap screws. Each one should take 13kips before yielding. there was another threaded hole in the block 42mm to the left of the bottom right bolt (the one I had to drill). So I drilled a hole in the bracket and put an extra bolt in there for good measure.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:22:32 am by jack's lack »

My Build Thread

S-PAutomotive.com