Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AAZ motor mounts upgrades?  (Read 3348 times)

July 07, 2009, 05:14:19 pm

AadmanZ

AAZ motor mounts upgrades?
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:14:19 pm »
Hi All,

Have had some issues with my AAZ engined Caddy.. Pulley came off, Pump axle bearings f@%$ed >:(. But I love the stupid car too much to just let it go.  ;D

Together with my mechanic we figured out that besides shoddy engineering on the side of Volkswagen and the previous owner (who put the engine in) it might be that the damping of the Mk1 engine mounts is not up to the added stress from the bigger engine and that it might be shaking itself apart.

Anyone got any suggestions on upgrading the bushings / motor mounts? Apparantly the MK3 engine mounts are oil filled, would they be adaptable in any way? I read something on using mk4 bushings..

Reply #1July 23, 2009, 08:00:35 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

Re: AAZ motor mounts upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:00:35 pm »
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/enpe1.html

They have a couple of options there...
I put the green poly in my old GTi 2.0 w/ 272 cam,
and it was like a full time shiatsu massage from the seat...

be warned!
-Brad
Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Reply #2July 24, 2009, 03:25:55 am

AadmanZ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:55 am »
Thanks for the reply man.. So, if I understand correctly, these mounts are stiff as hell?  :P

I think that might compound the problem..

Anyway, I just bought a donor car, let's see how that other engine fares.

Reply #3July 24, 2009, 01:42:41 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:42:41 pm »
The function of engine mounts is to isolate the vibration that the engine produces from the chassis (and your butt).
Any "Performance" engine mounts will offer less isolation.
Upgrading to poly has some benefits:
-you can transfer more power more quickly to the ground
and some negatives:
-VERY Uncomfortable to 95% of people (most folks thought my car was terribly broke), but I in fact, enjoyed it.
I liked not having any slop at all between my engine and the tires.

The stiffer you go (you can even buy solid engine mounts) the more of each of those things you will have.
Green poly virtually negates use of an in-dash CD player.

A good compromise is usually replacing some with poly.
On the A2 chassis, you can replace the lower front with poly (or hockey puck!) and leave the upper front stock,
It will take up the slop in acceleration, while leaving the rest of the feel decent.

-Brad
Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Reply #4July 25, 2009, 04:53:49 am

AadmanZ

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:53:49 am »
Thanks, I would like to try and run the car for a few months without stuff shaking itself to bits before performance becomes an issue. The intended use of this car is to be able to haul two dirtbikes across Europe at a reasonable pace in some basic comfort, while at the same time surprising modern cars  8)

Bolting the engine straight to the chassis is not really what I am looking for  ;D

Reply #5July 25, 2009, 12:36:19 pm

ryanp

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:36:19 pm »
i went for all round hockey puck mounts on my mk2!

Cambelt side mount:

custom box side mount:

Front mount Using Passat cross member (cant really tell!):

I've not got the engine in there yet but it could be harsh! if it is i'll drill some holes in the hockey pucks. all in all i spent £15, about $20.

I feel the same about the slop in the mounts, it ruins everything about the drive in my ibiza (this uses mk2/3 mounts) every gear change or standing start has a slight 'delay'. i can comprimise a little NVH!
Brand new TDi injector sets:
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=25862.0

Golf Mk2 TDi Van - 250WHP

S-PAutomotive.com