Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Best (Non-Caddy) Diesel Truck Available in the US?  (Read 26161 times)

Reply #30September 11, 2009, 01:11:59 pm

Rabbit on Roids

Re: Best (Non-Caddy) Diesel Truck Available in the US?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 01:11:59 pm »
late 80s GM 3/4 or 1 ton pickup somethin like an 85

with

either a duramax, or a Cummins 12v

i just dont like how the front ends dont last under the fords, unless you get a 1 ton with a D60 in the front. then ya got er dick'd.

and im not trying to start a feud on what truck is best with what engine, im just stating thats what i would do. a fummins is too main stream. everyone and there brother has one now. who do you see driving around old chevs with a cummins or a d-max swap in them? not many... sure the d-max adds alot of electronics and other stuff the cummins doesnt have, but the isuzu is so quiet and POWERFUL.

and as for the S10 you were talking about, i love GM products, but i can not stand an S series vehicle or many GM vehicles manufactured after 1987. S10's were the biggest abortions ever. the cranks broke, the front ends fell out of all of them, and the transmission/TC/drivetrain was garbage also. and i think thats probably how the front ends under the duramax's will be too. you cant put a huge diesel over an independant suspension system and expect it to live as long as a dana 60. honestly i think that would have been a better answer, use a tough straight axle under the front.

Reply #31September 15, 2009, 01:52:30 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:30 am »
You guys know what I want to do? put a Detroit in my '67 Cougar ;P

what would be best matched do you think? inline 6? v6? V8 :O (that would be so bad ass) maybe a 6v92? Exist?

Reply #32September 15, 2009, 02:49:40 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 02:49:40 am »
what does 6v53T mean? v6 with 53ci cylinders.. what does the T stand for?

Reply #33September 15, 2009, 12:48:19 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »
so apparently a 6v53 is friggggan huggggggggge;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXagelxg-8&feature=related

Reply #34September 15, 2009, 01:04:17 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »
4-53's are HUGE AS WELL!

Wow I just found a new love! lol

Reply #35September 15, 2009, 02:51:59 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »
they made 2-53's and 3-53's as well. they made them in the 71 series too.

Reply #36September 15, 2009, 08:57:45 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »
what does 6v53T mean? v6 with 53ci cylinders.. what does the T stand for?

6v53T is a six cylinder two-stroke Detroit diesel, 53cid per cylinder, with a turbocharger. And yes, they're enormous. ~1700#, according to what information I've been able to find, 223hp @2500RPM. A 4-53T (no v engines with fewer than six cylinders. :( I so want a 4v53t) would have stock 175hp @ 2500, and weigh 1300# apparently.

3-71: 113hp @ 2100, 1500#.

They're all freaking enormous dimensionally, too. 6v53T apparently measures 39"x37"x41" LxWxH. Little bit bigger than your average V8, and much heavier.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:06:34 pm by Turbinepowered »

Reply #37November 08, 2009, 10:04:08 pm

Pat Dolan

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 10:04:08 pm »
We seemed to have lost Drrtybyl, but it would be nice to know the price range.

Let's start with the towing requirement, and the desire to have a small pickup for mileage.  An F150, C/K10 or D100 is EXACTLY the same size as an OLDER F350 (chagned with the StupidDuty), C/K30 or D300/0.  You can have a reasonable size truck AND good mileage by sticking with the '90s versions of these trucks in one ton, single wheel format.  Once you get to the one ton size, it can easily be fitted out as a decent tow vehicle.  I set up an '03 Dodge 3500 for my best bud, single wheel, put on 19.5 forged alloys (Rickson) and run 225-75 10 ply rubber.  You can stiffen the back end up with air bags, and run really good shocks (Billstein).  Amongst several other things, it pulls a four horse trailer quite well.

If towing is the real deal, though, it is impossible to beat a REAL TRUCK rather than idiotic little toys.  IHC, Freightliner, etc. make perfect mid-size, "lo-pro" vocational vehicles (in 2WD only, or I would have one instead of an F450).  These things have real axles, brakes, transmissions and most of all ENGINES.  Instead of crowing about the miracle of 200k, you think more in terms of million mile life.  Believe me, I tow heavy with one of the "big 3" POS, and it costs a LOT more than my class 8 semi to keep on the road (and not much different in mileage).  There are also Japanese alternatives (cabovers from GM/Isuzu, Mistu, Hino, etc.) but they tend to be a bit light on the horsepower end.  If you are into really exotic stuff, I have a D220 Iveco (sold in the US in the late 80s or so) that I have pulled big loads with.  At 120 HP, not much happens in a hurry, but the fuel economy and reliability are awesome.  There are still a few around, and they are still supported by the factory (Fiat).

Finally, there is the business of engine swaps.  While it might seem neat having a GM two cycle under the hood, if you ever put fuel in one, or listened to the racket running down the road, you would realize that they are not in any way useable these days.  They are also EXTREMELY heavy.  We used to bring in Japanese diesels in the days before there was much else around, and my absolute favourite conversion was 6D14T in F350 (starts at the rad, ends at the dash, requires raising the cab off of the frame - but HOLY SHEEP SHYTE BATMAN, DO THEY EVER PULL!!).  6BD1 Isuzu is another one that really belongs under a daily driver hood (it is a lot smaller and lighter than the big Mits, but still very powerful and genuinely commercial in reliability).  But, these days, I would have to question why anyone would swap in any engine except the Cummins 6 bangers.  They are so cheap, easy to find, and fantastically supported by the aftermarket, there just isn't anything better around.
lifetime VW enthusiast, racer, fixer, addict, etc.
'03 TDI Variant, MkII Golf Country, Mk1 and II Scirocco (gassers), a Vanagon aircooled, an Audi 2.0 TD waiting to become a Porsche TD (in my M471 924), FLD120/DDEC IV, Ford 7.3/450, Iveco D220 and some 6D14T Mitsus and a few more.

Reply #38November 10, 2009, 11:13:40 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13:40 am »
what do you think of the chevy pickups? the newer 1 ton duramax/allison trucks?

im going on from what ive seen. my dads 06 chevy d-max has over 250k miles, the only things that have gone wrong in its life, was one of the trans cooler lines developed a small leak up by the radiator, and that was covered by warranty. the other thing was it needed #5 glow plug. other than that, its just had its normal maintenance and love. runs like the day he bought it.

i can not say such good things for the newer fords and dodges tho. my brothers 2005 F250 is on its 16th transmission. it needed a new trans before he had 5000 miles on it. all his u joints went out before he had 60k miles on it. he has already had to rebuild the front end. and were talking this truck has under 150k mi on it. hes on his 3rd or 4th turbo also. its also had a couple different sets of head gaskets.

and as for cummins engines, the 12v engines are spectacular, and anything based from it. i cant say much for the newer more complicated cummins engines tho. one of my buddies called my dad from canada the other day with an exploded cummins. wanted a tow back to the states, as hes 1600 miles from home.

not saying chevy or dodge or ford is better, im just going by what i see around me.

Reply #39November 11, 2009, 04:20:04 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 04:20:04 am »
what do you think of the chevy pickups? the newer 1 ton duramax/allison trucks?

im going on from what ive seen. my dads 06 chevy d-max has over 250k miles, the only things that have gone wrong in its life, was one of the trans cooler lines developed a small leak up by the radiator, and that was covered by warranty. the other thing was it needed #5 glow plug. other than that, its just had its normal maintenance and love. runs like the day he bought it.

Wow, 80k+ per year? Thassalotta miles.  :o

So he's doing a set of nozzles every two years? :D

It's about time to do injectors on the Great White Whale ('01 F250, 7.3L). It's starting to smoke when you get on the go-pedal and start a little harder on cold mornings. Figure a fresh set of nozzles and a check of the glow plugs would cure both of those woes. But at $160 apiece, x8... Ouch.  :(

Reply #40November 11, 2009, 10:48:22 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 10:48:22 am »
nozzles every 2 years? why change your nozzles when you take such good care of the fuel system? there hasnt been a drop of regular diesel in that truck. it always gets lucas fuel treatment or something good dumped in every time he fills up. none of the injectors sound louder than other ones like most. you know, when you can hear one injector firing alot better than the other ones? anyways, what about injector nozzles now? truck still runs like the day he bought it. he does alot of cross country towing with it. thats where all the miles come from..

Reply #41November 11, 2009, 07:38:13 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:13 pm »
nozzles every 2 years? why change your nozzles when you take such good care of the fuel system? there hasnt been a drop of regular diesel in that truck. it always gets lucas fuel treatment or something good dumped in every time he fills up. none of the injectors sound louder than other ones like most. you know, when you can hear one injector firing alot better than the other ones? anyways, what about injector nozzles now? truck still runs like the day he bought it. he does alot of cross country towing with it. thats where all the miles come from..

Mmmm, guess all highway miles would be easier on the injection system, but I know in the PM schedule on the Ford they're supposed to be replaced every 75k or so miles. Even without running D2 through them, they're still wearing and eroding, and there are particles in biodiesel as well.

With the older pintle-type nozzles (not sure what an '06 D-max uses, probably piezos?) you also have to look at the wear from the pintle slamming back into its seat several thousand times a minute during cruising operation.

Reply #42November 16, 2009, 11:03:12 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 11:03:12 am »
yea, in late 05 they went to piezo injectors. i dont know how they work, but they work good. dads truck doesnt have any loud injectors or anything.

Reply #43November 16, 2009, 04:02:47 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
yea, in late 05 they went to piezo injectors. i dont know how they work, but they work good. dads truck doesnt have any loud injectors or anything.

I can explain how they work if you want. :D It amounts to what is essentially electrical and materials engineering voodoo, though.

Reply #44November 17, 2009, 10:56:49 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 10:56:49 am »

I can explain how they work if you want. :D It amounts to what is essentially electrical and materials engineering voodoo, though.

yes, could you please elaborate?