S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: mTdi regulator  (Read 3318 times)

June 29, 2009, 05:50:47 am

Andrewb

mTdi regulator
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:50:47 am »
Finally got back to my mtid transit project.
Yesterday I timed it to 0.85mm at TDC, but I still have very low power.

I've adjusted the regulator till the engine clattered and then brought it back again a little, but I've been using the 1.9AAZ regulator rather than the 1.6 which I think people suggest. Is this the likely reason for low power? Whats the difference between the two regulators?

All other mods are as per Heys instructions in the FAQ.

Thanks
Andrew

Reply #1June 29, 2009, 01:10:40 pm

• Veteran

Re: mTdi regulator
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »
Hey Andrew, I'm currently in the middle of fine tuning my mtdi pump as well.  My setup is very similar to your discription.  I have a couple of questions.  Are you getting any smoke out the tailpipe under load?  White or black smoke?  How's the idle?  I'm running the aaz pump with tdi camplate, 11mm head, and modified control lever with .205 nozzles in a pickup with reasonable power.  I hope I can help. 
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #2June 29, 2009, 05:04:46 pm

Andrewb

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »
Tiny bit of white smoke I think. Idle I'm able to get farily steady, but its a very fine line when adjusting the fuel screw between no power at all and run away revs.

My pump has a 10mm head and I've kept the AHU injectors, not sure what they are.

I think what I understand from a bit more reading is that the 1.6td pump runs at a higher internal pressure than an aaz pump and this is why the regulator is useful in an mTdi. Is that correct anyone?

Thanks
Andrew

Reply #3June 29, 2009, 06:47:00 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:00 pm »
These regulators are adjustable.
The regulator in the aaz pump is more than capable of producing enough pressure.  I gave mine a couple of taps and the internal pressure went thru the roof!  It actually blew the hose off my pressure tap to read internal pump pressure.

Warning!  These adjustments worked for me but might not work for everyone!

Once I got a good idle I adjusted my base timing by rotating the pump while the engine was running.  I pushed the pump towards the block until I could hear the engine start to rattle then backed off just a little bit. 

Next I adjusted my regulator by raising the engine rpm to about 2500 rpm.  I then tap on the regulator with a punch and hammer until I get a slight change in engine noise.  If you tap too hard on it, the motor will rattle like crazy and you then have to remove the regulator from the pump and tap the plug back out and start all over again.

My last adjustment was the depth of the governer axis.  I drilled a hole thru the pump bracket so I can adjust this now without removing the pump.  The engine would rattle over 75% throttle so I backed out the axis until the rattling stopped.

When you're adjusting the full load screw, are you backing out the idle stop as well?  This is nessesary to keep the idle under control while increasing fuel.  Make sure your throttle cable is allowing the lever to go from stop to stop if that makes sense.

And what kind of vehicle is this engine in?  mk2? 
Hope this helps.  I'm just starting to realize the potential of my setup and I'm pretty happy with it now.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #4June 30, 2009, 04:40:50 am

Andrewb

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:40:50 am »
I think this is making more sense now; I was confusing the governor axis ( drilled a hole too) with the regulator.
I'll keep playing with settings..

I've put it in a Mk1 transit! Soon to be reverted from camper to pannel van

Reply #5June 30, 2009, 11:48:31 am

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:31 am »
Very nice looking van!  Good luck on your fine tuning but keep in mind that you're moving a lot of weight with that mtdi.  My guess is 4500 lb?  Weight reduction might be the best way to increase performance.  Your van makes my project look like a piece of junk.  Nice work.

Fixmyvw.com