S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: X-post to questions on where to start hunting for lack of power (1.6 N/A)  (Read 1612 times)

June 23, 2009, 01:52:09 pm

Pre95

• Junior

81 Rabbit Diesel - 250k and climbing :)

Reply #1June 23, 2009, 03:15:09 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

I'd turn the fuel screw in about a 1/8 turn at a time untill your happy, watch the smoke though.

BTW if you do a seach LOTS of people have done what your doing ;).
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2June 23, 2009, 03:47:35 pm

Pre95

• Junior

Is there any amount of smoke to watch for specifically to know I am on the right track? (i.e. a touch of smoke at WOT apposed to no smoke?)

Also this afternoon was the first time I have had her on the highway... 0-60 in about 2 miles, and I had to keep it WOT to stay @ 65mph.. if a gradula uphill came it was down to 3rd, wind it out, back to 4th and pray hahaha Lets see if I can get this thing tuned right... I am hoping it'll just be the amount of fuel going in but who knows..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:50:43 pm by Pre95 »

Reply #3June 23, 2009, 05:08:47 pm

Pre95

• Junior

Wow, I love finding stuff like this...

So it seems the WOT adjustment was set too far back (so I wasnt able to go WOT before) and the fuel setting was way too far out (so running a bit lean).. add the two together and you a recipe for disaster! I tuned it to light smoke @ WOT, and set the WOT to a full pedal stroke (as it should be) and man this thing shot off like a rocket compared to before! The hill approaching my house I had to downshift in to 1st on the way today just to get her home, this time it trucked up in 2nd with barely any pedal in to it... I am so excited!

Thanks for the tip, I would have been a baby about adjusting the fuel if you didnt mention everyone adjusts this.

Reply #4June 23, 2009, 06:09:11 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

A touch of grey is usually ok but an EGT gauge wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also "lean" for a diesel only means idle, the mixture is constantly changing as you push the pedal.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5June 23, 2009, 06:40:13 pm

Pre95

• Junior

Sounds good, yea an EGT was recommended by another diesel bud so I will be picking one up here shortly. I may back off the screw just a tad until the smoke clears, dont wanna stress the ol' girl out!