S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Smoked a roady bicyclist (jerk) after a lecture from him...  (Read 9593 times)

Reply #15June 26, 2009, 02:36:30 am

79rabbit4dr

Re: Smoked a roady bicyclist (jerk) after a lecture from him...
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 02:36:30 am »
Me: 1, Yuppie roady: 0

hate fords, but this is a GREAT story!!!

Reply #16June 26, 2009, 09:58:42 am

westyventures

• User+

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 09:58:42 am »
I would have just told the biker how stupid he was for paying a few grand for 10lbs worth of aluminum.
Yeah those guys get me too for what they spend on a damn bicycle.  You can go to Wal-Mart and spend a hundred or less dollars and get one with about a million gears, full suspension and everything.  Then the first thing they do is change the seat {which is already too small to begin with} to one of them things that cost a couple hundred dollars that's about like sitting on the edge of a razor blade but it's about an ounce and a half less than the other one and think they got a bargain.  Then get a set of handlebars that about drag your knuckles on the ground, put on one of those little helmets that looks like something out of Jurasic Park and some spandex pants that look like they're about 4 sizes too small and think boy am I ever cutting down on wind resistance here and I'm doing almost 12 mph. ;D  
My bicycle when I was a kid looked more like a scaled down Harley full Dresser with all the extra crap I had bolted on it including the vacumcleaner extension pipes from my Mothers vacum cleaner.

You guys are a riot. Not only that, VERY off the mark. I take great offense to your remarks, being a competitive cyclist in my earlier days and now cycling for recreation. Here you are, comparing a basic made in China POS to a quality made bike and trashing a group of people for having hobbies you don't understand, at all. Not unlike comparing a basic inexpensive-but-technologically-challenged small car to an Audi TDI. Bikes are like everything else - to get quality and better components you pay more.

Tell ya what - bring your Mal Wart special by, and we'll go ride some local trails - I on my [made in USA] Cannondale, you on the made-in-China 50-lb obese throwaway bike. After (or before) we can sit down and discuss the merits, engineering, components, parts choices and whatnot and then maybe you'll have a clue. Making fun of others' hobbies and trashing that they spend money for quality toys just seems a little rude.  ::)
Karl Mullendore
www.westyventures.com

Reply #17June 27, 2009, 04:41:30 am

OM617

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 04:41:30 am »
You guys are a riot. Not only that, VERY off the mark. I take great offense to your remarks, being a competitive cyclist in my earlier days and now cycling for recreation. Here you are, comparing a basic made in China POS to a quality made bike and trashing a group of people for having hobbies you don't understand, at all. Not unlike comparing a basic inexpensive-but-technologically-challenged small car to an Audi TDI. Bikes are like everything else - to get quality and better components you pay more.

Its a frame, wheels, brakes, a chain, gears, a handlebar and a seat. The only thing complex about them is the metallurgy of the ultralight frames. My 15 year old Trek 700 suits me very well, I put 150 miles of on and off road distance on it last year. I could spend $3000 on a new bike and gain what, 14lbs less weight?  ::)

Comparing bicycles is like comparing a VW Passat to an Audi A4.

Reply #18June 28, 2009, 10:16:22 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »
It's like anything. You get what you pay for, and if you want to go after performance it cost more.  I used to ride a bit.  Still have a nice Bianchi.  It is not carbon fiber, Ti, or aluminum. It is Italian steel, and done very nicely. It was not top of the line, but I dropped almost a grand for it almost 14 years ago.  I geeked out a bit and added some lightweight parts. Did I ever really need everything my bike had, no. Was I happy I did when I rode up Lookout Mountain in TN, or some of the other big hills I tried over the years, damn skippy.  Did I need the best brakes out there everyday, nope. The one time I did a flat out full sprint speed run down a twisty mountain road and passed 55mph I thanked god I had them.
On a 50 mile ride, those biker shorts keep nasty chafe off some personal parts I consider highly important,(and if you don't have a fat butt, chicks dig em! :D) and my road bike helmet had a shark fin on the back and teeth painted on the front.  You can wear spandex and still man up.
That all being said, I think the original poster was right on. Givin the smoke was such a classic response to a pompous douchbag diatribe.  I wish it was on youtube. HaHa Ha!

By the way, vacum cleaner extension pipes on a bike (say, an old Schwinn Stingray) would kick ass, especially if you had one of those rev up handlebar grips that sounded like a motorcycle. They would be the perfect place to slide some roman candles into for some action after the street lights came on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:23:53 pm by subsonic »
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #19July 04, 2009, 08:08:20 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »
i'm kinda with subsonic and westyventures on this one.  trashing another hobby shows no class at all.  I ride a bike AND I drive; depending on how I feel that day.  If you want to start bashing people, start with yourself, because you were driving a ford. ;D

Reply #20July 07, 2009, 04:00:59 pm

Nighttrain005

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »
Amazing! ;D
love it  more smoke the better i like it

Reply #21November 29, 2009, 07:42:41 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 07:42:41 am »
good story.

i have a mate who is an avid cyclist and vw diesel head too. (mk1 m-tdi). i also ride a little (not enough the pinch test tells me) and i gotta say cheap bikes dont last at all. i dont like the roads much, i prefer more to ride down big hills in the bush, and i used to do it on my cheap crap bike, until it was totally dead.

my new bike is proving a LOT harder to kill - and its not cheap crap.

just goes to show, you oughnt lecture what you dont know.
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #22November 29, 2009, 05:01:19 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »
I do a lot of downhill here on the west coast.
I too agree that if you don't know what you're talking about it's best you don't say anything at all :P
My bike was $1,000 4 years ago and it still rides the same as the day i bought it. Haven't had to replace a thing except for the pads on my disk brakes and 1 tube that I popped.
If i saw someone going up the mountain with a walmart bike i'd already be dialling the ambulance on my cell phone. I'll just say that much.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #23December 01, 2009, 08:45:11 am

54321chris

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 08:45:11 am »
It seems silly to me that guys who are car enthusiasts and probably really like to buy high quality car parts would just assume that all bicycle parts are the same.  The bicycles at department stores aren't even assembled by mechanics, so bearings, brakes, and shifters go out unadjusted.  And that's not saying anything about the heavy, flexy, energy-sucking frames or shotty components.  You guys know you get what you pay for, right?  Department store bikes are disposable bikes. 

Sincerely,
your friendly local bicycle mechanic

Reply #24December 01, 2009, 05:57:02 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 05:57:02 pm »
It seems silly to me that guys who are car enthusiasts and probably really like to buy high quality car parts would just assume that all bicycle parts are the same.  The bicycles at department stores aren't even assembled by mechanics, so bearings, brakes, and shifters go out unadjusted.  And that's not saying anything about the heavy, flexy, energy-sucking frames or shotty components.  You guys know you get what you pay for, right?  Department store bikes are disposable bikes. 

Sincerely,
your friendly local bicycle mechanic

the problem with most roadies is that they think their poop don't stink.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #25December 02, 2009, 06:24:52 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:52 am »
I took a crappy tire Mountain Bike for a trail ride this summer....made it a whole 1km on the trail before I broke it  ::)
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #26December 10, 2009, 01:20:28 pm

FoXBoXRaCiNG

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »
Boys and Girls, I can side with both the cyclist and motorist, being a hardcore cyclist in the past, Walmart=crap, I could snap solid rear axles no problem, even now, with a 3 year old $2000 Giant full suspension bike, you would think it's indestructible, I've already wrecked the crank bearing set, under a 100 hours riding... Then again when you live downtown, and the Cops have personally booted me off the sidewalk, there is no love on the road, so I am conscience of where I am as not to impede traffic, thankfully we now have designated bicycle paths painted on a majority of the downtown roads... On the other hand, we have these stupid lines that cut traffic down to 1 lane for these cyclists, effectively doubling my commute time for the sake of a handfull of cyclists on a nice day? I keep the Duramax stashed unless I need it, sure I love 450hp at my right foot, but Jettin in the Jetta saves everything from wear and tear, $180 oil changes, $100 fillups for half the mileage....

Now this brings me to a story of driving along behind a courier cyclist, at the time I would see her randomly through the downtown core, one time she was stopped on her bike behind my parked truck at one of my sites, I was courteous to warn her I was about to start the truck and didn't want to soot her (4" turbo back), a dirty look and away she went... Later that day, I found myself driving behind her as she hogged a whole lane of traffic marked to turn 3/4 of a block away, I gave a blip of the horn to have her turn around to give me a dirty look... Needless to say, it wasn't courteous cycling, and placing myself in her seat, I know there was plenty of room to ride by the parked cars, my evidence:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=9ave&sll=51.044603,-114.062244&sspn=0.000735,0.001725&gl=ca&ie=UTF8&ll=51.0446,-114.062049&spn=0,359.998275&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.044603,-114.062244&panoid=PQ4IPYi1LH3-cLJdYEbJPA&cbp=12,112,,0,5

Tonnes of room between traffic and the green mini van... Two car lengths past the van, I went wide and hoofed it past her, wow, with the tuner turned up a bit, she smokes, and good!! Well let me tall ya, when she came through the cloud, she was not looking very impressed, kinda matched my feelings on things...
My cat has A.D.D :(