Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Beetle Mechanical Pump as Lift Pump  (Read 1471 times)

June 18, 2009, 02:54:27 am

ezekiel

• Junior

Beetle Mechanical Pump as Lift Pump
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:54:27 am »
I remember there being a thread about this, but I think it died with the forum switch, anyone recall?

My 3 concerns are flow/volume, pressure, and the diaphram if I run bio.

Pressure should be low, since it's a pump for carbs, the nipples on the pump (as much as I can deduce from a picture) appear to be the same size as the clear fuel hose from the filter to the pump, so I bet it'd flow enough, but the diaphram longevity is questionable, I doubt they're using a viton diaphram.

any ideas?

Reply #1June 18, 2009, 08:19:52 am

arb

Re: Beetle Mechanical Pump as Lift Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:19:52 am »
I remember there being a thread about this, but I think it died with the forum switch, anyone recall?

My 3 concerns are flow/volume, pressure, and the diaphram if I run bio.

Pressure should be low, since it's a pump for carbs, the nipples on the pump (as much as I can deduce from a picture) appear to be the same size as the clear fuel hose from the filter to the pump, so I bet it'd flow enough, but the diaphram longevity is questionable, I doubt they're using a viton diaphram.

any ideas?

I was using a carb pump (4 psi) as a boost lift pump. Worked great for a while, then at highway speeds, it started to cavitate a bit causing a vapor lock of sorts and a required stop to wait until it passed. Now, the pump is there just to prime the lines if I run out if fuel = 2 lines to reconfigure and it would be ready to go. The lift pump in the IP is all you need.

Fixmyvw.com