S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.9AAZ TD into '86 Vanagon Syncro @ 50 deg.  (Read 37637 times)

Reply #15July 30, 2009, 08:56:36 am

the caveman

• Veteran

Re: 1.9AAZ TD into '86 Vanagon Syncro @ 50 deg.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:36 am »
Use an inline heater .

If you are talking about a heater that goes in the hose, then that's a bad idea.  Because of the way the coolant system is designed and the location of the thermostat, a heater in one of the hoses (presumably the lower rad hose) will heat the coolant in the radiator and do almost nothing for heating the block.  It's a waste of time and money.

Andrew
I think you are right Andrew. I only mentioned it because of my big distrust of crappy, aftermarket block heaters.
I saw too many of them just blow right out of the block.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #16July 31, 2009, 11:19:17 am

chillios

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:17 am »
How did you find a  factory crate syncro transmission, from S. Africa?!!!!
I assume that this was a gasser tranny and you needed a new bellhousing.  But the most important this is... WHERE/HOW did you get one, and how much was it.?

-Chris

Reply #17July 31, 2009, 08:38:21 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »
Volkswagen. :D It was in their warehouse here in NJ... Sold as "factory rebuilt", but it's a new one. Check with the parts counter once in a while, they do pop up. I didn't expect to find one, but there it was, locker and all, crated from S. Africa. $2600 retail, plus $1000 core. Yes, gasser bellhouse, of course... swapped to DV. Anybody need a new wasserboxer bellhouse?

...Hopefully mine wasn't the last one!

My decoupler just showed up this week, too. 8) I gots TWO knobs now!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:12:41 pm by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #18August 06, 2009, 12:26:43 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 12:26:43 am »
Just a thought... If I put in a freewheel alternator pulley, and my original AAZ crank nose is good and tight, is it safe to skip the TDI pulley conversion, or am I asking for trouble?

In a related thought, would a whole TDI alternator (120A) fit the AAZ bracket (has serpentine belt)... or did the mounting lugs change?
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #19August 07, 2009, 03:02:04 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 03:02:04 am »
After cleaning my pistons thoroughly, they seem a bit worn... Some erosion right under the pre-chamber, and one has a pinhead size cavity in the middle of it. The heat coating is well worn on two of them, looks to have been abraded off during the last rebuild. The areas that are bare aluminum had a couple mils of carbon coking built up, while the areas still protected were clean.

I'm going to get the pistons and head ceramic coated at Swaintech, but I'm not sure these pistons are worth saving. ??? There's a few sets on Ebay.de, hopefully they'll ship to the US. Anyone know of a N. Amercan suppplier for AAZ pistons? I have a new set of rings already.
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #20August 07, 2009, 12:16:27 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:16:27 pm »
I'm having the same alternator debate, since the one you sold me Jerry is fried ;) the 120A TDI alt is $300 , the pulley is sold separately for another $60 and I'm too scotch for that, hell I could get another 30 year old VW for that price. Plus maybe you can use 120 amps in your van, but what the hell do I need that kind of juice for in my bunny? I guess I could run one hell of a stereo ;D. since all the MKIII serp belt alts seem to bolt up the same (nice setup with the spring btw, way easier than the using a 2x4 to pry it taught while tightening the nut system I am accustom too) I will keep searching, lmk what you work out.

Ceramic coating huh? first forged rods, then that sweet tranny, now ceramic coating, what's next? always upping the ante huh?
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #21August 07, 2009, 08:22:20 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 08:22:20 pm »
Seems like it, right? ::) That's how these things go... it takes a certain discipline to install a motor without digging into it, and that ain't me ;)  I want to do this right the first time. Ceramics really help with cylinder heat, keeping it in to do work instead of soaking into the pistons and head, and as I'm building towards a low-rev, high boost motor, I need to do what I can to try and contol the heat. The bills are starting to mount, though... as is the time it's taking. I can't see driving this van before November at this point... I just keep finding new tasks the further it comes apart.

My rods just showed up... I don't know whether to put them in the engine or hang them on the wall as art :D

I haven't checked my original 90A alternator, but I'll send it to you, no charge... I have enough electrical draws to justify springing for the 120A unit. Looking on Ebay. Ours are 5-rib pulleys, right? Also, do you still need a driver for the head bolts?

Did any gasser cars come with freewheel pulleys?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:03:16 pm by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #22August 08, 2009, 10:07:15 am

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 10:07:15 am »
Thanks I definitely want that alternator, it is worth a shot for sure. I don't need the 12-pt driver though I grabbed one off ebay last week.

Yes the pulley has 5 ribs, the belt is labeled 6V, I'm pretty sure that is what that stands for, since the belt does in fact have 6 ribs.I love it when they use a logical nomenclature. I found that pulley cheaper at tdiparts.com than I did on ebay. I wouldn't think the gassers would need the freewheel pulley, since they don't engine brake nearly as hard as a diesel, but I have no idea.

Same for me with time, project scope and money. In the architecture world, we call that scope-creep, the client comes to you for a bicycle shed, and you get all manic and lost in the project and come back with the taj mahal. Story of my life.

1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #23August 08, 2009, 08:46:07 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
 :D SYNCRO-CREEP
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #24August 30, 2009, 05:31:36 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 05:31:36 am »
Update pictures :D

Pistons and bearings are back from SwainTech: Ceramic coated domes and lo-friction coat on skirts and all bearings and piston pins

Block cleaned up and honed:

Transmission decoupler...a part that was never offered on production models, but was on the prototypes. It disables the 4WD by de-coupling the driveshaft at the trans nosecone; but was deemed redundant with the development of the viscous coupler. Oddly, but thankfully, VW never deleted the tooling, tubing, and wiring required to install it, every Syncro comes plumbed and wired for front and rear locking diffs and decoupler. Not strictly necessary, but makes the van more off-road capable when paired with an aggressive (read worn out) VC or a solid shaft VC replacement adapter. May save a mpg or two on the highway when decoupled... mostly it's a syncro geek thing. Knob envy... I have two! Working on three, for the front locker 8) This one was made in Germany by a skilled machinist, several parts are available from VW, but a few have to be made from scratch, like the main gear set;

...which replaces a splined connector shaft;

A vacuum actuator slides a fork, which en/disengages the dog gears;

I also installed the 930 CV joint output flanges:

Here also you can see the actuator shaft (minus the vacuum can) that works the rear diff lock, above the output flange.

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #25September 10, 2009, 06:44:14 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 06:44:14 am »
A little sidebar:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=21140.0

The saga of the Very Expensive Con-rods that Didn't Friggin' Fit

(I won the battle) ;)
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #26October 15, 2009, 01:34:24 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 01:34:24 am »
A few updates & pictures...

Haven't gotten much done last month, just enjoying the last of the summer. :D Re-assembled the bottom end a few days ago; while it was apart I took the opportunity to get ARP studs for the mains caps. All together and rotating freely! Replaced the one oil ring that broke the first time.

Oil Cooler System:

Here's what I'm putting together... B&M 19-row cooler up front in the top opening, I carved out a section of the vent scoop to provide some room for it. I'm keeping the stock oil warmer, but eliminating the filter with a spin-on adapter, the lines then go to a remote dual filter station, I'm going to have a regular filter on one, and the Amsoil 2-micron super filter on the other. Oil then goes to a thermostat, where it's routed either to the cooler, or back to the engine if below 175 deg. Planning on 1/2" line, not sure yet if I'm using AN fittings or just barbed push-on fittings.

Intercooler:

This intercooler

and this radiator

The radiator will be mounted up front, in the lower opening, as shown mocked up here;

Almost a perfect fit, could have gone even longer if I'd wanted by opening the sheetmetal on the passenger side more... there's a big void space behind there.

I've already removed the support bars, flush with the bottom of the opening; I'll cap the rod ends, and they will act as supports for the radiator. The mount tabs will attach through the sheetmetal on the bottom lip, and through an inner lip on the top. The rod removal was necessary due to the space they take up, even though the rad is only 2" thick, the rods make installation very difficult... and by tieing the radiator frame into the sheetmetal top and bottom, I figured it would make up most of the structual strength lost (if any). It will have to be offset to the left a few inches to provide room where the stock radiator thermo switch sticks out.

Pump is the Bosch unit used on many different cars (TDIs included)

Now to the engineering project of the week; the IC water resevoir :)

I wanted to have at least a 5-gallon resevoir somewhere in the intercooler system, but was having problems working out where to place a rather large tank. It hit me that I have a large unused space where the spare tire used to live, before I went 15" and big tires. However, that space is shaped... well, like a spare tire, and I could not find any tanks that would fit comfortably and without a lot of modification to the van itself. SO... we had a 55-gal plastic chem drum laying around (as one does) and I thought that might work, so I broke out the Sawzall and got to cutting... I cut off the top lid, leaving a 2" flange, then started with about 10" of the bottom, and cut it down until the flange fit snugly inside the bottom tray. What I was left with is a spare-shaped tank that holds 7 gallons. I have two 3/4" plastic boat fittings for in & out duties.

Then I found some hose... and I mean HOSE... on Ebay... 25 feet of this stuff for $0.01. One penny (plus $20 shipping ;)) for some seriously overkill 3/4" hydraulic hose. This stuff will outlast the van. I was expecting glorified garden hose!

Think this will hold up to intercooler duty? Yes, that's steel mesh reinforcing, two layers of it. :o

Stock Vanagon radiator fan, in case you've never seen one (A/C equipped van originally) This thing could power a small hovercraft.

Cat provided for scale

Finally, the intake... PD150 right-hooker and TDI Parts intake tube. The DieselGeek part (on the left) is too small!

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #27April 22, 2010, 06:48:14 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 06:48:14 am »
Motor is just about completed, finally. Rebuilding the rear wheel bearing housings and setting up the 930 cv joint axles. I got the T3-TDI adapter input shaft from Germany, so I'm going to run a solid TDI flywheel & 226mm clutch. Big tasks that remain are setting up the oil & intercooler circuits, installing the fuel tank, and finally mating the engine & trans and getting it up into the van. Then it's exhaust fab time.

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #28July 03, 2010, 03:02:07 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 03:02:07 am »
Got the tank back into the van. I was facing some interesting tubing size problems... since the fuel pump is no longer in the line, and that was a big step-down. I was able to fit 3/8" hose onto the tank outlet, kind of a stretch but not stressed. From there it goes down to 5/16" at the fuel filter in & out, then down to 1/4" poly tubing for the IP in. Fuel return is the reverse, from 3/16 poly up to 5/16 tank return. I was about to make a trip to Grainger for line reducers, but I found a pack of assorted nylon reducer hose tees with all the sizes I need, I just blocked off the 3rd outlets with JB Weld. It's a bit of a hack, I'll probably replace them with real reducers later. The poly tubing adapters I had already from the engine's original fuel lines that were still on the pump.

I'm using a Lucas filter/water separator with a built-in push-button primer pump. The poly tubing I got from Home Depot, & fits all the pump fittings nicely. Not exactly clear, but I should be able to see bubbles in the fuel.

I don't think I'll be using that mongo 3/4" hydraulic hose for the intercooler after all, it's entirely too stiff, hard to cut & work with... I went thru 4 Dremel cut-off wheels making ONE cut in this stuff. That, and a hose clamp on the end has almost no effect. :o Way overkill. For the long fore & aft runs, the exposed sections under the van I'm thinking of using galvanized conduit, elsewhere I'm just going to use that red pro-level garden hose, on the component connections.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:13:54 am by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #29July 03, 2010, 09:16:17 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 09:16:17 am »
Just an idea for you that I am trying in an off road bronco...alot of people around here have outdoor wood burning stoves. The line coming in from the stove with the heated water is called PEX. 100% flexible many sizes and attaches in seconds with shark bite style connectors. I am messing around with this since I sell it at work, but there are many cheap stores on ebay that have it too. Plus they have some different colors :D

Fixmyvw.com