S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Batt light  (Read 3325 times)

May 06, 2009, 06:50:28 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Batt light
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:50:28 am »
symptoms
when i start the car the head lights flick on and off without me doing anything with a *clicking* in the dash.
my battery light flickers while i drive.
when i turn high beams on the light goes out completely
two of my lights have burnt out in the last week.
when i dim my dash lights i can see my LED's in my heater control flickering with the battery light.
Never had starting troubles. lights aren't dim when they're on.

Vince said something about the "x" relay. I have no idea what this is or where it is. Can anyone enlighten me? And possibly give me a guidline to test it?

Unfortunately i dont have a V meter accurate enough to check what the batt voltage is at charging and static. :( i'll try to borrow one.

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1May 06, 2009, 08:17:28 am

Alchemist

Batt light
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:17:28 am »
The X relay disconnects non essential circuits during cranking to take some load off the battery until the engine is running.  It is located on the fuse and relay panel under the dash.  Memory does not permit me to give you an exact location or number.  The best test I can think of at the moment is measure the voltage at one of the circuits fed by this relay with engine running and compare it to battery voltage.  They should be the same or very close, less than 1/2 volt difference.

Reply #2May 23, 2009, 03:33:14 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Re: Batt light
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 03:33:14 am »
I recently left the GP's on for the second time ever. but this time for a whole day killing the battery (my GP's were ok though phew).

I got a jump from a friend and it fired right up. My batt light wasn't on this time? Funny... i drive maybe 200 meters and the light comes back on and everything dies! I'm stuck! the solenoid in the pump is closed and my car wont drive! how frustrating!

My question is, is this a voltage regulator problem or the sign of a worn out alternator.

If it is the latter, do i want new brushes for it? Or is the issue in the coils and i need a whole new one?
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

S-PAutomotive.com