Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: The GTD RETURNS!  (Read 94952 times)

Reply #150December 19, 2007, 04:58:50 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

• http://www.greasecar.com
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2007, 04:58:50 pm »
The LED bulbs I used popped right into the VW/VDO bulb holders.  The only modification I had to make was to pull the green difuser out of the Westy cluster and replace it with a clear frosted one (since I used blue LEDs).

What turbo are you using?  I used the VNT-15 turbo and manifold off my ALH and was able to run the DP without that little curve.  My DP is 2.25", I used the flange and first 90 degree bend from the Golf TDI DP and welded an angled tube onto it.
www.greasecar.com
79 Mini diesel (1.5 Peugeot)
82 rabbit TD (given to Junkcollector Jay)
84 rabbit TD (intercooled w/ VNT)
82 rabbit PD (undergoing swap)
01 Golf TDI (burned to the ground)
02 Golf TDI (355,000 miles and counting)
04 Passat TDI Wagon (Grocery getter)

Reply #151December 20, 2007, 03:52:23 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2007, 03:52:23 pm »
Quote from: "Greasecar"
The LED bulbs I used popped right into the VW/VDO bulb holders.  The only modification I had to make was to pull the green difuser out of the Westy cluster and replace it with a clear frosted one (since I used blue LEDs).

What turbo are you using?  I used the VNT-15 turbo and manifold off my ALH and was able to run the DP without that little curve.  My DP is 2.25", I used the flange and first 90 degree bend from the Golf TDI DP and welded an angled tube onto it.

I'll look into the LED's, where did you source them from just out of curiousity. The nice thing with the early clusters, they are like my buses cluster and beetles :) They have NO diffuser in them, etc. So, I could do colored LED's, change the color or just simply make it brighter :) Rather easily.

As for the turbo. I'm currently using a Merc 300D turbo....42 cold, .48 hot... I like it, especially with my motor build...but I'd really like to head to the route of a Holset hybrid of some kind :) I can tell you what I'd like for what I think would be the "perfect" wastegated turbo for this motor (single...not a twin turbo), but I've yet to find/source the parts for it (could be done via a holset, or a Garrett model). My T3 sits on a backset/center flanged 8v manifold.
I def. haven't jumped on the VNT bandwagon but do have quite a bit of experience with them.  The way my manifold sits mounts the turbo higher up on the block, but farther back on the motor itself (when compared to a standard IDI t3/KKK setup or a VNT). The VNT actually sits down on the block and would def. indeed remove the need for the "snake curve" i mention. It also could just be the way I built the pipe.  :) I'll know when I tear into it. Before I think about the 02a this winter though in the mk1, I need to secure funds to get the mounts...otherwise, it might have to wait. I just realized what I've gotten myself into trying to do/build the passats mTDI motor this winter and still convert the mk1 to 02a (not to mention my full time commitment to student teaching coming up in Jan. 08 and no income on my part). So...we shall see :)

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #152December 20, 2007, 04:48:49 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

• http://www.greasecar.com
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2007, 04:48:49 pm »
I bought the LEDs from New South Performance and they are VDO parts so anybody who carries VDO should be able to get them.
www.greasecar.com
79 Mini diesel (1.5 Peugeot)
82 rabbit TD (given to Junkcollector Jay)
84 rabbit TD (intercooled w/ VNT)
82 rabbit PD (undergoing swap)
01 Golf TDI (burned to the ground)
02 Golf TDI (355,000 miles and counting)
04 Passat TDI Wagon (Grocery getter)

Reply #153December 20, 2007, 06:04:57 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2007, 06:04:57 pm »
will check it out....
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #154December 26, 2007, 06:03:39 pm

dillenger1

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2007, 06:03:39 pm »
Im building a 1.6 na to td and im going to be using the g60 gasser manifold.Are we going to have any clearence issues with the turbo?You said your running a back set,What other options am i going to have with the gasser manifold as far as turbo position?I realize it should be easier to run from the ic to the intake.I dont have my car yet (just engine)so im having trouble visualizing positions.
ben
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #155December 26, 2007, 07:57:21 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2007, 07:57:21 pm »
Quote from: "dillenger1"
Im building a 1.6 na to td and im going to be using the g60 gasser manifold.Are we going to have any clearence issues with the turbo?You said your running a back set,What other options am i going to have with the gasser manifold as far as turbo position?I realize it should be easier to run from the ic to the intake.I dont have my car yet (just engine)so im having trouble visualizing positions.
ben

Best posted in the IDI forums since it sounds like that is what you are dealing with, but i'll give a little info here.
The clearance issues with the turbo/intake manifold will depend on what exhaust manifold and turbo configuration you are using. If you are using a IDI TD exhaust manifold (from either a 1.6 or a 1.9aaz), if you try and use it in the "stock" position, the turbo sits up on the manifold more towards the "top" of the manifold and you won't be able to clear a gasser intake. A solution is to "flip" the manifold over and use it that way... then you have the exhaust discharge problem to deal with (on p side instead of D side...) .
A VNT configuration...as many seem to be using, would be a different story which mounts the turbo much lower and below the exhaust manifold opening up space for the intake manifold.
Another is to use a "backset" manifold like alot of your standard 8v manifolds are. If you look back in the post, you'll see what it looks like. I also am running a spacer in mine as well to clear the compressor housing of the turbo. I had a substantial amount of grinding and clearancing to do to the manifold too (besides the port job).

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #156January 02, 2008, 09:30:15 am

Baselyne

Incredible
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2008, 09:30:15 am »
Wow, this is really incredable, motivates me to go out in canadian -20 degree winter and work the turbo into my 1.5L set up

cheers man, Great work your doing there!
props!
-J

Reply #157January 05, 2008, 12:15:59 pm

MJF

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2008, 12:15:59 pm »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"

Correct, complete set of 4 chrome handles (just need to find the black trim for them)
Joe

Hey Joe! Have you found the trims yet?
I made the later model stailess trims to fit my chrome handles. All shiny handles now :D
Pic
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #158August 31, 2008, 08:31:14 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2008, 08:31:14 pm »
WOW it has been a crazy long time since I updated this thread. Its been a busy summer though...

Some things that have happened...

Well....we moved is the biggest thing. Still in the Elmira, NY area...but bought our own house, with a newly built garage as well. PO only had one of those plug in flourescent lights in the garage and I had to improve on that....

Here is the Rabbit and Westy's new home....

My lighting improvements. I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!!! I got these fixtures (40-60.00 fixtures from Lowes/Home Depot) for 1.00 a piece! I managed to get all of them... 5 4-bulb fixtures and 9 2-bulb units for a whopping 14.00!!!
Anyways....6 of them ended up in the garage. The 4 bulb fixtures (x4) in the rear and middle of the garage and then (x2) 2-bulb fixtures above the garage door when the door is shut....PLENTY of light :) Finally!!!  You can actually see the b3's mTDI build started there on the engine stand....working on that as we speak

So....I was thinking about having finally broken the engine in that I was comfortable to open it up just a bit more. The 02a is still sitting...waiting and ready to go in the mk1, but I just didn't get there this year. Here is a shot of that.

So...today. Governor mod...

All I have to say is WOW!!!!  I shimmed the int. spring 1/8 and the main spring by about 1/4".  Once I got it all back together of course it took some fine tuning of the pump and such but I am super impressed with the result. I can probably shim the main more if I wanted too,  but I am good with this until that 02a is in this winter (along with all paint/bodywork...wait til you see what I have planned there). I just can't wait to really be able to play with the car once the new tranny is in.

Just to confirm...for others (and reaching back to the Governor thread in the FAQ), as Jimfoo and others noted. It was required of me to turn back the full power/residual fuel screw once I did the gov. mod as well as back off my idle. I am actually backed as far off as I can be on the idle without having to change the throttle positon on the shaft itself (currently at about 10-11 o'clock (the hash))

It is NUTS on the road :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #159October 15, 2008, 09:59:12 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
Paint, bodywork, 02a CTN trans upgrade this winter, interior as well as other bits. Especially now, at the new place, new job...garage....etc.

Here are some things I'm working on at the moment. Just enjoying driving honestly right now befoe it has to go away for winter.

Bought a original ZVW rack for the Mk1...kinda like the look.  Its in pretty good shape. It was tweaked a bit when i set it on the car and the drivers side "posts" look like they have been bent before...or clamped for some reason. Anyways, the clamps that were with it after doing some searching were not the original clamps. One "worked", and the other wouldn't even pull to my roofline if I tried. So, I tried my hand crafting something using some aluminum bar stock I had around. I'll be refining them this winter I think, but road tests show they are working REALLY well and they are "super" clean looking and pretty damn close to what the OE clamp looked like...

Another thing I have been working on is a new CCV vent system for my mTDI setup.  I originally was using  a "OLD NAVY" CCV from an ALH engine.  This setup had a single port on it which required installing a block off plate on the 1z/AHU motors and elminate the block vent.  I didn't like the setup and went back to the factory 'elephant hose'.  I have two of these units here and one is brand new, and continues to leak at the CCV puck. I think it has to do with the clamp used on it and since it does clamp "completely round" so it leaks a bit. I never was happy with it and have started working on a variation of the KC TDI mod for CCV found on TDI CLUB.com

I'm using reinforced high pressure hose
An Agricultural filter
Stainless steel scrubbing pad
a crankcase vent plate (from 1.6 NA engine)
various connections.

In doing so, I'll have an efficient CCV system that is not venting to the atmosphere but is keeping anything in the intake tract nice and clear!
Some pics...

Here it is sitting on the other mTDI motor I'm building for the b3...fits perfectly on the block (1z/AHU....ALH = no crankcase vent on block)

More update to come. Need to update the b3 mTDI build too....bottom end is almost completely done.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #160October 21, 2008, 11:26:19 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2008, 11:26:19 pm »
Nice to see some update!
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #161October 21, 2008, 11:39:23 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »
Quote from: "MJF"

Correct, complete set of 4 chrome handles (just need to find the black trim for them)
Joe

I made the later model stailess trims to fit my chrome handles. All shiny handles now :D
Pic

so how'd ya do it? make them fit so well i got the same problem can't find decent handle trim!
Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

Reply #162October 22, 2008, 11:39:22 am

MJF

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39:22 am »
Trims are just glued to handle. Had to cut the clips for plastic handle away.
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #163October 22, 2008, 11:51:30 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:30 am »
That is a good looking car even in it's current state..

I have a mk1 fetish though.  :oops:

My first car was a 81 white 4dr Rabbit. Man I had fun in that car.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #164October 22, 2008, 06:29:08 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2008, 06:29:08 pm »
Quote from: "blkboostedtruck"
Quote from: "MJF"

Joe

Pic

so how'd ya do it? make them fit so well i got the same problem can't find decent handle trim!
Duane

I wanted the original look. The actual trims to fit the door handles are still available through VW and FAR less than what people are asking on flea bay.

As for the "finish" product. Well...far from finished I feel but the spring will bring a much more "finished" look to things.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

S-PAutomotive.com