Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: The GTD RETURNS!  (Read 94968 times)

Reply #135November 18, 2007, 06:38:25 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2007, 06:38:25 pm »
Heh...Heh...

Well, the white stuff is starting to fly...so I guess its time to start looking towards "winter upgrades" again....

A few bits of new stuff....updates...

Day that I shot these nice pics of the mk1 ...here is one...

I somehow managed to snap the dp right in half on the way home that night!!! Sounded like a MACK truck whining all the way home! Fun stuff...SUPER clean break!

So...today i managed to of course get the dp off so I can repair it just for right now to get the car inspected (DEC) and put it away. I'll be building a new DP this winter...probably a v band unit with another, shorter flex section closer to the discharge. It must have not been a great weld as the motor mounts in the car are fine and in great shape, very little rock. However, the Mk1 front mount...traditionally not the best may have not helped the situation...especially with the torque this beast puts out...

Additionally today....i put on the other "new" good door on the D side...
What once had a front d side and rear d side door that was badly dented in, etc.

Now looks like this!

I couldn't even find a picture of the "bad side" here on my photobucket...apparently I always shoot it from the p side...hmm...wonder why.

Now if I could only find a nice Inari Green hatch!

However, I do have some body work to do this winter...
These are pics of the D side rocker panel

Def. going to have to do the D side rocker....contemplating doing the P side as well though pushing on it is fairly "hard" on the p side, but I can hear some cracking....better safe than sorry possibly.

The pans on both sides of the car are great...nothing wrong on the pside.. One small hole, less than a dime on the D side...
Some little work to do around the fender wheels in the rear and one spot on the new rear door I installed today. Looks like that MIG i bought is going to come in handly. Though, I'm hoping rockers don't kill me to do.

Additionally this winter...here is a big part of it...
1 of the 2 of these CTN TDI trans will be going in the mk1 (the one on the left...) the other is for the b3 when I do the mTDI swap for it...

Hopefully time and money will allow the b3 swap to occur in the spring. If not, it may be closer or during next summer...but we'll see. The focus is to get the 02a in the Mk1 at this point and some of the bodywork done. Afterall, I do rely on the b3 as the daily at the moment. The b3 mTDI build will be another thread.

Also have some good chrome bits to add to the Mk1 as well. Correct, complete set of 4 chrome handles (just need to find the black trim for them) as well as a set of new chrome flags too. Going to try it...see if i like it. Chrome euro bumpers would be nice....but a bit out of my $$$ flow at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Anyways....thats an update. If anyone wants to help with the rockers in the future...that as experience doing them...that'd be a GREAT help, I can pay with some parts and beer :) if so desired!  I don't think it'll be too hard though.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #136November 18, 2007, 09:29:04 pm

Greasecar

• Junior

• http://www.greasecar.com
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2007, 09:29:04 pm »
Wow, I'm suprised that DP broke off like that despite the flex pipe.  

I'm still planning on making those transmission mounts, they were put on the back burner while I got the 1.6 running.  If you still need one when you are getting to the transmission swap let me know.  I am putting my engine back together and my transmission is almost done so I will be getting mounts together soon.

I bought some sheetmetal from this site when I was doing the body work on my gold car.

http://www.rsjparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_30&products_id=81&osCsid=c81ed6f1125795223eb30680c0f975d0

Doing those rockers should be pretty straightforward if you get decent replacement panels with seam flanges that you could plug weld.
www.greasecar.com
79 Mini diesel (1.5 Peugeot)
82 rabbit TD (given to Junkcollector Jay)
84 rabbit TD (intercooled w/ VNT)
82 rabbit PD (undergoing swap)
01 Golf TDI (burned to the ground)
02 Golf TDI (355,000 miles and counting)
04 Passat TDI Wagon (Grocery getter)

Reply #137November 18, 2007, 10:38:24 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2007, 10:38:24 pm »
Justin,

Thanks...I appreciate that and as before, I'm def. in on a mount. I'll need to get them (though, I haven't found the schematic for that rear/lower tranny mount yet).
I know how "busy" gets...today was the first time I had to work on the car in a long time...and it was only a couple hours. However, its SNOWING out now....scary stuff! Guess it won't see much of anymore road time this year.

I'll keep that sheetmetal place in mind...def. a good source...

As for the DP...I was shocked too...its the cleanest break I have ever seen and it was STRAIGHT THROUGH THE WELD!!! I'm going to take it back to the shop where I had it welded up after the swap for adjustments and have them fix it for now. This winter though I'll be building a new one, with v band I hope, and maybe a shorter flex section closer to the turbine discharge. We'll see. Just must have been "enough" to break it.
Also, it was a colder night...car was fairly "cold" on the start...I'm wondering if a variety of issues didn't go into its breaking. Oh well...only going back on temporarily...and has served me well for a number of years. However, for the merc. turbo I'm now running, the dp flange needs to be larger and I'm going to go away from the weld-el construction for the next one... can't wait to hear the whistle at idle again like I did when this was PERFECTLY matched for the old GTD.

As a matter of fact...the flange on this dp I believe it is one that YOU cut!!! Back before anyone was making exhaust, etc. etc. for IDI's or any real performance on TDI's... I've still utilized it to this day... however, I need to open it up for the new DP if I use it again.

Ah...memories...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #138November 19, 2007, 06:16:14 am

stewardc

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2007, 06:16:14 am »
Are you going to use the cable shifter with the new tranny? I've been considering that swap also, but the cable shifter install scares me.

Reply #139November 19, 2007, 06:21:24 am

DA-BRT

• Junior

• http://Zwalve.eu/
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2007, 06:21:24 am »

The 02A gearbox supports I'm making.

Reply #140November 19, 2007, 07:13:44 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:44 am »
Very nice, and I've seen your mounts before... getting them to this side of the pond is quite a bit more expensive though.

As for the cable shift setup. Yes, I'll be using the full cable box , etc. Instead of doing the hydraulic clutch, I'll be running the cable version for the 02a which I do have all the bits for, etc. as you can also see in Da-Brts pics...
 I haven't decided on the box orientation yet...but I'm leaning towards mounting up on the top of the tunnel and running the cables through firewall of the car...it sits the box up higher...which would be nice in an mk1 and also takes up some of the "extra" cable length.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #141November 19, 2007, 08:21:03 am

Greasecar

• Junior

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2007, 08:21:03 am »
If the break is real clean, the weld probably didn't have enough penetration.  Those welds do look like they are sitting pretty high which can be an indicator of poor penetration.

Good to hear some of that crude old handywork has survived.  

It has been fun getting back into building hotrod Rabbit diesels.  I had to drive down to the airport this morning at 5AM buzzing by cars like they were standing still.  Can't wait to get the TDI put together, I want to check yours out one of these days.

DA-Brts, that set up is beautiful.
www.greasecar.com

Reply #142November 19, 2007, 09:49:41 am

DA-BRT

• Junior

• http://Zwalve.eu/
The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:41 am »
Getting them over costs about 40 Euro. I've sold them to Canada and California.

The supports have been calculated with a FEM analysis with a safety factor of 2.5 Than took a high grade steel and have them professional welded. The design I made with CatiaV5.

But no more topic polution from my side ;)

Reply #143November 19, 2007, 10:33:09 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:09 pm »
LOL...I think we talked about the price before....can't remember what it worked out to... I believe it was still more than what WRD was wanting, etc. However....they are beautiful pieces! Truly an option...

On the dp...yeah, the weld were sitting particularly high and I remember when I had it welded up the guy that runs the shop was not happy with how his guy had welded it. Its super clean....def. a penetration issue. I'm going to drop it off Weds. for over the holiday and get it back this weekend sometime. Just for temp purposes since I don't have gas for the MIG yet nor enough mandrels, and a flange that I want for the "new" dp.

Mounts are the biggest thing holding me in my way of the 02a conversion at the moment. I have how I'm going to do it for the most part figured out...how I'm going to run the cables, etc.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #144November 27, 2007, 10:59:34 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:34 am »
Another SUCCESS for the gasser tach to W terminal conversion FAQ, I did post there as well.
But.... I was able to convert an early Mk1 (round) VDO tachometer to W terminal with success in the last couple of days. I was even able to easily calibrate it on the b3 16v's 90amp alternator as it has an active W terminal.
I'll be able to retain the "early" style dash, cluster, etc. since this works! One of my goals.

No fluctuations and very little adjustment. All adjustment was able to be done at the potentiometer itself...

Good stuff...maybe I'll post a picture of the modified board here in the next few days. My soldering skills are rusty, but getting better I guess...some pretty creative wrapping and and installation a few components in a series.

Hopefully, will get the fixed downpipe back up on the car this week and the exhaust put back together... need to get inspected before I put it away for this year....but a couple last drives and a test of the tacho installed would be nice!!!

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #145November 27, 2007, 02:23:17 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2007, 02:23:17 pm »
Cool!  Good to know that works!  Looks like that's what I'll be doing on the Rocco, as it also has a round VDO tach.  Not sure on the alternator though, I never bothered to check if it has the "W" terminal.  Do newer TDI-alternators have a W terminal as well?  I was gonna go with a newer style 90amp TDI alt with serp setup.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #146November 27, 2007, 05:22:13 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2007, 05:22:13 pm »
Actually...

Alot of the alternators on 83+ cars have the W terminal. Mainly, I've only ever seen these as 65 amp or 90amp units. The b3's alternator is a 90amp gasser version...it had it...my 'rado had it and also my brothers 91 gasser as well. So..its not unique only to diesel cars. :) So, chances are, you'll have luck.

Also...my mTDI mk1 runs a 90amp 2.0 gasser alternator with the serp belt setup right now...I'm hunting for a TDI 120amp unit, or a VR6 unit. Same deal...different pulley (7 rib vs. 5? can't remember).
Anyways...the serp belt style alternators also have the W terminal as well. All the ones I have seen anyways. It shares a 2 prong plug, standard VW connection with the alternators D terminal, or the exciter :)
So the answer is yes....it should have one! I'll be able to let you know very soon as I'll be hooking this up in the mTDI very quickly.

Just to note...the early speedos/tachs do come in variations...the first "early" round Mk1 gasser tach I had..from 78 or so... was a MOTOMETER unit...
This one I modified was a VDO unit, as mentioned...must have been from the "transition" mk1's, one of the first Westmoreland cars is my guess, as it shares the same configuration as the Westmoreland GTI's...
Make sense? No...these weren't made in Westmoreland... they were made in Germany of course...but the cars they were installed in were the "westmoreland" or later MK1's (late 79-early mid 80...share the "round" headlight fenders, but had the "westy" grill that didn't wrap around with turn signals and it has square headlights...short tails still on the rear).
Anyways...if anyone cared :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #147December 17, 2007, 09:58:51 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:51 pm »
Well, I finally got a chance to start up the mTDI Rabbit again here today. After fixing the dowpipe, etc. etc. and getting the exhaust hooked back together all is well. Just hadn't had the time
Also, I was able to full intergrate the tach into the early dash, I even used the factory german cluster plug and was able to change out the connections needed for a "factory" hookup and look so that I didn't have to tape off terminals, add connections, etc. The early MK1 cluster plugs are actually really nice to work with, They come apart EASY which makes swapping connections really easy as well. I ended up switching to the motormeter circuit sheet that I had as the VDO one was pretty bad. After comparing them though I didn't see any major differences, etc. and everything is good to go!

Idles a bit high. at about 1.5k and I don' t think the engine is actually idling that high so I think that accounts for the difference in between the pulleys on the test/calibration car (my 16v b3 gasser ) and the mTDI engine running serp belts and the 2.0 90amp alternator.
Easy enough to fix though...

Here are a few pics...as promised...

Had that second one revved quite a bit higher...but my digi cam recycle time SUCKS.... either way. No flutter, etc. I'm going to need to find another "VDO" parts tach for a good needle (as this ones paint is damaged and/or do something with the needles. The biggest drawback I think with the older gauges is the illumination itself...
Hmm...maybe an LED project in the future!!!
Either way...WORKING CONVERTED GASSER TACH!!! WAHOO!!!

Next...decent weather to get an inspection and then...winter hibernation...for hopefully the 02a upgrade. Still have the mount issue to tackle and no $$$ to do so...
Grr... too many projects.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #148December 18, 2007, 08:58:04 am

Greasecar

• Junior

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
Looks good Joe.  I put VDO LED bulb replacements in my Rabbit, it was easy and made a vast improvement.  I don't know whats involved in those old gauges though.

What did you end up working out with that welding shop?  Did they build you a fresh bew DP?
www.greasecar.com

Reply #149December 18, 2007, 01:08:55 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2007, 01:08:55 pm »
might be a good deal to try...LED's that is. These are the twist in style bulbs...that just "pull" out of the twist in holder. I might see if I can do LED's...

As for the DP. No...its not a new one :( I had them just repair it for now. The plan is to build a new one this winter. This bugger has been good to me though....weld'els and all! and has never busted an stud or anything. However, the diameter is now not good for the size turbo I'm running.
I'm trying to figure with the "new" dp  whether I can elminate that snake curve that you have to do in the Mk1 to avoid the shift linkage ( and just do a fairly straight shot with maybe a shorter flex coupler in that section)...especially since I'm going to install the 02a CTN trans this winter. I just need to figure out the mounts for that too.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia