Author Topic: help with serpentine belt tensioner assembly  (Read 1598 times)

April 23, 2009, 05:38:37 pm

cube1980

• User+

help with serpentine belt tensioner assembly
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »
Ok...here is the story. I have a 1996 Golf TD with around 230,000km.  Recently it started to make some noise which sounded like the belt so I looked under the hood and it was the tensioner (serpentine belt not timing)  I figured I could just replace the tensioner but it turns out the shaft that the pulley is on has play in it and according the the dealership I need to purchase the entire tensioner assembly (alternator is attached to it too).... at a price of $647.00 plus tax!   Now this is a little crazy so I called around for some used parts from wreckers etc and I can't find anything. Has anyone else had this problem or been able to fix it somehow.  I'm still driving the car....it's working fine but you can see that the end of the shaft is worn (almost like there is a bushing in there)   I'll be taking the thing off this weekend to get a better look at it but I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or has any ideas cause $650 is a little steep in my mind for this bracket or assembly !!

Reply #1April 24, 2009, 11:09:45 pm

dieselsmoke

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:09:45 pm »
I had the same problem. Check out this post:

http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18726

Reply #2April 25, 2009, 09:19:39 am

cube1980

• User+

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:19:39 am »
Thanks for the post. I think I'm going to have to try the copper tubing as I can't find a used bracket anywhere. I'll probably be doing that tomorrow (although I might need to wait to find the right size copper until Monday.

Reply #3April 25, 2009, 11:49:36 am

dieselsmoke

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:36 am »
homedepot or any hardware store should sell it. It is just the standard size 1/2 inch copper water line. Make sure you use some white lithium grease on the tensioner arm so it dosen't sieze up in the housing. I can't remember how long to cut the piece that you put in. I think it was 2 or 3 inches long. I cut mine longer than normal since the copper pipe will try to work its way out of the housing towards the pully. By making it longer it will rest against the tensioner arm where it bends to a hook where the pulley attaches on to. I believe i also put a cut length wise down the piece of pipe (just through one side) before putting it in so it can compress a bit when it goes into the housing.

Fixmyvw.com