S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: WHY TDI?  (Read 15473 times)

Reply #75April 23, 2009, 09:35:03 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:03 pm »
Quote from: "catlin_cava"
and this made 6 pages lol...

Yea really!!   I gotta say this has been a fun thread with all the banter like someone mentioned earlier..  Although it's hell to keep from going on a 12 page rant when it comes to politics..  

Without going too off the wall I feel out problem lies with the people in general..  This is SUPPOSED to be a government by for and of the people..  But anymore the people are too busy whining at the government to coddle their needs...

I haven;t been a real big Obama fan, but I like parts of his inauguration speech..  Especially the part where he basically said the governement can't do it all, you the people have to get off your lazy a$$es and do your part too...  This is an overuse of cliches but we as a people need to get off our high horses, come down a peg, suck it up, and roll up our sleeves.. Some of the painfully simple things woudl fix alot of our problems.. Painfully in that they may require some unpleasasntness, inconvieniences, and plain ole fashined "doing without" and hard work..

We keep relying (heck demanding) that the governement keeps making everything okay then we're basically asking for that dictatorship..

Somewhat back on topic, anyone ever put their car up on a lift and have the nut that hold the strut cartrige in the front pull out of the strut housing??   THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!  My housing cracked right at the very top..   Must be from the new crop of potholes left from the winter... I could have sewrved to miss the pot holes but as an American I woudl rather hit them, break my car, buy a new one I can;t afford and whine at the governement about not fixing the pothole..      OKay I'm done now...

Reply #76April 23, 2009, 11:44:23 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
WHY TDI?
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »
SAGA:  This thread is starting to remind me of a certain one on another certain forum, EH?
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #77April 24, 2009, 12:02:59 am

maxfax

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:59 am »
Quote from: "vanbcguy"
SAGA:  This thread is starting to remind me of a certain one on another certain forum, EH?

At least it's only a thread..    And it's probably some Canadian's fault..  :wink:

Reply #78April 24, 2009, 12:08:32 am

maxfax

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:32 am »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
Read my lips, can we make it another 130+ pages?? Eh?   :D

Hmm let's see now, we've covered "tidis", politics, beer, cheese, prothe, anger management...  What's next??  

Ahhh women!!! That oughtta be good for 150 pages... :shock:

Reply #79April 24, 2009, 12:24:31 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2009, 12:24:31 am »
Hmm let's see now, we've covered "tidis", politics, beer, cheese, prothe, anger management... What's next??

Ahhh women!!! That oughtta be good for 150 pages...

Stupid Civic Drivers? or this Ugly POS I came across...
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/10/fear-the-muskrat-351-powered-mustang-ranger-hybrid/ :shock:
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #80April 24, 2009, 12:49:31 am

dieselweasel

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:31 am »
Quote from: "Vincent Waldon"
All kidding aside for a brief second, we so-called "mods" have no issues with threads that wander off topic a bit... all part of the joy of discussion... assuming of course that both the topic and the discussion stay respectful.:wink:

As you were... !!!

That's what makes this forum so great...over at vortex a thread like this would have long ago digressed into a pointless, stupid argument with lots of disrespect and name-calling.  We are a classy bunch of Canadians here with a few good Americans thrown in (j/k)...

Quote from: "maxfax"
I haven;t been a real big Obama fan, but I like parts of his inauguration speech.. Especially the part where he basically said the governement can't do it all, you the people have to get off your lazy a$$es and do your part too... This is an overuse of cliches but we as a people need to get off our high horses, come down a peg, suck it up, and roll up our sleeves.. Some of the painfully simple things woudl fix alot of our problems.. Painfully in that they may require some unpleasasntness, inconvieniences, and plain ole fashined "doing without" and hard work..

We keep relying (heck demanding) that the governement keeps making everything okay then we're basically asking for that dictatorship..

Yes Maxfax, I have to agree with you on this.  Up here, citizens and opposition parties keep blaming the federal and provincial governments for the current problems with the economy, which really burns me.  They keep saying that it's time the governments took action.  I'm sorry, but there's only so much a government can do, especially when this problem did not originate in our country!  A lot of people's problems are their own fault...they need to start looking after themselves.  

As for your strut issue, no, I have never had that happen.  

Go Vancouver!!!
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #81April 24, 2009, 04:57:57 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 04:57:57 am »
Quote from: "theman53"

sadly we in the USA are a republic not a democracy. I think with the powers of the internet we could be a voting democracy, but as it stands we are just a democratic republic.

With the intellectual caliber of many of my fellow Americans, I'm quite happy we're not a true democracy.

True democracy is likely one of the slowest reacting, inertia-prone forms of government in existence, and it's problems only get bigger as the democracy grows.

Reply #82April 24, 2009, 10:14:44 am

8v-of-fury

WHY TDI?
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:44 am »
Quote from: "catlin_cava"

Stupid Civic Drivers? or this Ugly POS I came across...
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/10/fear-the-muskrat-351-powered-mustang-ranger-hybrid/ :shock:

Whoa, that actually looks cool, Only problem i see, is that they lifted it.

Drop that thing down to like stock stang height.. or even lower.. make it handle like a vette... Guys.. its like a New age Caddy.. Best of both worlds... :):):)

But yes lets bash on some civics some more,  :twisted:

Reply #83April 24, 2009, 04:17:27 pm

OmnibusX

• User+

• http://www.youtube.com/user/OmnibusX
WHY TDI?
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 04:17:27 pm »
Since this thread alredy has gone way of toppic hehe.

Why do the americans have so mutch truble making a car with normal handling? bladesprings on cars.... seriusly. that is a teknolegy the rest of the world moved past meny years ago. Most american cars cries for mersey when you show it a corner. Some of them lock great just standing there, but my god it feals like you`r driving a bathtub.
94 VW Golf GL MK3 1.9 TDK
----------------------------------
85 Toyota Corolla 1.3
86 VW Golf CL MK2 1.8
89 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6
84 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6

Reply #84April 24, 2009, 04:43:20 pm

8v-of-fury

WHY TDI?
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:20 pm »
Quote from: "OmnibusX"
Since this thread alredy has gone way of toppic hehe.

Why do the americans have so mutch truble making a car with normal handling? bladesprings on cars.... seriusly. that is a teknolegy the rest of the world moved past meny years ago. Most american cars cries for mersey when you show it a corner. Some of them lock great just standing there, but my god it feals like you`r driving a bathtub.

I have driven my share of newer american/domestic vehicles and I agree.

None of them, ranging from a 2005 f150 to a 2008 grand prix, take corners quite like my Volkswagen :P Im being serious.. I can wiggle my driver front tire about a 1/1-16th either way for a total of about an 1/8" worth of play.. my dads new 08 grand prix is SLOPPY in the corners.. bouncing all over the damn place, back end feels like its gonna fly out at a moments notice... I prefer crap box 25 y.o Vw over a newer domestic car.  :twisted:

Im sure alot agree? lol

Reply #85April 24, 2009, 04:55:05 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 04:55:05 pm »
I think that truck is ugly as a sin and someone should crush it and put it out of its misery.

We took a 08 Mustang GT out for a test...LOTS of get up and go...it would out run my MK3, but handling...i could take the exit ramps alot quicker....
Catlin

1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)

Reply #86April 24, 2009, 05:08:26 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
american cars all grew out of the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

they were, and are, made for big open spaces where displacement is king, and the most steering you have to do at speed is changing lanes to pass.

european cars(and asian cars for that matter) are built for making turns faster, and accelerating out of them better.

in the twisties an import will usually do much better, and on the straight domestic cars usually do better(of course there are exceptions to both)

the biggest problem I see with all cars at this point(domestic and import) is that they seem to think that HP is king, and are building these hugley powerful cars that end up being even bigger and heavier to support the power.
they are missing the point that its really the HP to weight ratio that matters, not just the raw HP numbers

just look at the bugatti veyron and the lotus elise, the bugatti has 1000HP but the lotus will still spank it with a mere 200HP.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #87April 24, 2009, 05:30:35 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »
My gf's accent will put the beating on most cars on the highway...1.6L 110HP 106ft-lb of torque, Not very high numbers, yet the car weights next to nothing and has no governer...I know that one for a fact net says top speed is 185kph when that poor thing will hit 210... :twisted:
Catlin

Reply #88April 24, 2009, 05:52:11 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 05:52:11 pm »
american cars all grew out of the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

they were, and are, made for big open spaces where displacement is king, and the most steering you have to do at speed is changing lanes to pass.

european cars(and asian cars for that matter) are built for making turns faster, and accelerating out of them better.

in the twisties an import will usually do much better, and on the straight domestic cars usually do better(of course there are exceptions to both)

the biggest problem I see with all cars at this point(domestic and import) is that they seem to think that HP is king, and are building these hugley powerful cars that end up being even bigger and heavier to support the power.
they are missing the point that its really the HP to weight ratio that matters, not just the raw HP numbers

just look at the bugatti veyron and the lotus elise, the bugatti has 1000HP but the lotus will still spank it with a mere 200HP.
Can't actually believe i'm getting in on this thread...

This sums up why new cars need to have so much more hp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNZluEhydE
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #89April 24, 2009, 06:03:22 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

WHY TDI?
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:22 pm »
blackdogvan
Can't actually believe i'm getting in on this thread...

Your hooked on it now :lol:
Catlin

Fixmyvw.com