S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Converting gas body over to diesel  (Read 8107 times)

Reply #15September 30, 2005, 02:26:15 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

Converting gas body over to diesel
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 02:26:15 pm »
yes what are this improvments?

thx,

Reply #16October 01, 2005, 02:02:51 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 02:02:51 am »
1978'ish: An extra steering rack mount was added, among other things.

'80-'81: How many german-built Rabbits you see running around without rust these days compared to westmorelands?  I think it's pretty clear the rustproofing was vastly improved in about 1980-'81.  There were a whole slew of changes in the '81 bodystyle I'm sure most folks are aware of (square headlights, wide rear tails) but it would be chasing our tales to debate whether the '81 facelift was an improvement or not.  '81 engine improvements were noteworthy: the naturally aspirated diesel became 1.6 liters with many new components.  Then in mid-year there were more engine improvements as the headbolts grew to 12mm and crankshaft was changed to the beefier-snouted turbo-diesel version.

With newer trim packages (Rabbit L, Rabbit GL, Rabbit GLS, Rabbit S, Rabbit GTI) came better gauges and more instrumentation, front airdams, wider wheels, wheel arches, fancier body moldings, front fender splash liners, glove box lights, rear hatch lights, cowl screen, power steering, cruise control, rear windshield wipers, new colors (some of them basecoat/clearcoat).

'83: There was the more rigid windshield mounting introduced.  Not to forget the biggest improvement of them all: the turbo-diesel engine was available as an option! :wink:

'84 only: had A2-compatible front seats and seat mountings welded into their frames.  Their transmissions came with extra mounting lugs making it possible to swap them into A2s.  They had special front bumper supports which were lighter and set the bumper closer to the body and have the wind deflector.  '84 transmissions got the noise-vibration-harshness reducing factory "mini-slip".

(etc etc...  I'm sure there's a ton I missed.)

Some things "unimproved":
* In 1981 the headliner support changed from metal wire "hoops" to sag-prone cardboard.
* Also around '81 with westmoreland, pennsylvania production, many parts were changed from being made in germany to elsewhere (IE: canada, mexico.  In some parts the quality degraded.
* Lots of the extra options found in the later models added weight.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #17October 03, 2005, 02:31:58 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 02:31:58 pm »
thanks for the thorough reply jake.

the changes in '78 i agree with. i think that if i wanted to find the ideal rabbit, with the least amount of work to get it to where i'd like it, i'd choose a '78. other than motor improvments, '78 is where the major improvements end in my opinion.

'80-81 rust proofing improvments. i have to disagree but i would like to hear where they made improvements. i think that the fact that we see a lot more US-built rabbits on the road (IMO) is not so much because they had better rustproofing, but because they are newer and more of them sold. also, the gauge of metal used in the US cars was thicker than the early german ones. it takes longer for rust to take a US-built completely out of commision vs. an early german. i have been under the carpet/interior in many of these mkIs... US rabbit, german rabbit, caddy, cabriolet, jetta... and in my opinion the german ones are made with much more care. the seams and welds are cleaner, the seam sealer and floor treatments seem to be put on with some thought, and the general impression i've gotten from this whole experience has been to find a clean german-built that hasn't been abused and hold onto it. i no longer hold the US-builts in as high a regard purely because of their poor build quality (IMO). for example... german-builts usually have a small piece of cloth over the drain holes and it looks like someone took the time to ensure water would drain properly. the US-builts i've seen have all had seam sealer coming oozing up out of those holes, plugging them and letting the water sit.

visual improvements? yeah, we'd be chasing our tails... (personally i'll give german-1, US-0 here).

trim packages.. i disagree that they yielded any 'improvements' other than gauges, wider wheels, wheel liners (all parts that can easily be fit to earlier rabbits). again we're getting into personal preference for a lot of this (IMO: GTI airdams are ugly US-styling, fender flares are rust breeders, more lights.. more electrical problems, power steering is added weight in a car that doesnt require it, etc etc etc... it all adds up to more weight and brings the mkI closer to where VW landed with the mkIV - i haven't driven a mkV yet to make that comparison).

'83 i agree..

'84, just wondering... what is different about the seats? i've fit many mkII seats into rabbits made before '83 with no problems... and i know that german rabbit seats will fit into mkIIs. the front bumper supports were lighter in '84 - they were just metal brackets, not shocks. although lighter, they treat the rabbit unibody with less respect in an accident as they have no dampening function, so not really a clear improvement IMO. in fact, i prefer the earlier shock-style because they can be drilled out, setting them closer to the body than anything VW offered from the (PA) factory. even better than those were the original 1975 german bumpers... closest to the body of all, and lightest.

what you mentioned about quality degredation of the '81-later westmo cars i agree entirely with.. and it seems to me that the longer VW kept producing cars at that PA plant, the worse the quality got until VW finally had enough and sent the work to mexico.

its no secret that the PA plant was a huge mistake for VW...  :cry:

edit: and i have to say...i suspect i'd be singing a different tune entirely if we were comparing 1975-1980 german rabbits to 1981-1984 german rabbits. its more the workmanship of the US cars, the lower quality of many of their bolt-on parts, and the american styling cues that make them an inferior vehicle, in my opinion, of course.  :)

S-PAutomotive.com