Author Topic: Cooling Problems resolved finally.  (Read 3301 times)

March 31, 2009, 06:44:57 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Cooling Problems resolved finally.
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:44:57 am »
I don't know if anyone else has been following my cooling issues in the past with blinking lights, wonky gauge, hissing expansion tank and SO on...

at first the exp tank would constantly excrete coolant, so i bought a new one.
the new one with a new cap started to leak so i digressed further...
It still leaked so i make sure i had at least 50% antifreeze/coolant in there.
then the light would never stop flashing.
once the light stopped flashing the gauge wouldn't read a reasonable temp.
so then i bought a new head.
the light still blinked for ages and the exp tank leaked still.
i feared the cracked block syndrome! Oh how i prayed!!!!
then the gauge would read excessively high... (all this time i've done nothing but topped up the level about 250ml.

NOW, 400km later...

all the air has been worked out and my temp light never comes on and the gauge needle is straight up and down.

(Also, my high oil temp reading was due to the feed line being crossed ever so slightly with the feed to the lights. When i dim the dash lights, my oil temp goes down!  :roll:  :oops: )

SO just some advice for folks...

If your tank is leaking coolant, check the rubber seal. Make sure you're running 50/50 antifreeze AT LEAST and while you've dumped the coolant test your T-stat!!!

If you still get excessive pressure with no oil in the coolant im sorry, but that sounds to me like cracks between the valves leading to the coolant passages! It was a nightmare for me at the time but i took it as an opportunity and made a sweet aaz 1.6td.

Cooling issues, to me, are the MOST frustrating so... persevere and you'll figure it out eventually.

Just remember, 100% water boils and steam doesn't cool worth a hoot!

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD