S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: New pump  (Read 8393 times)

Reply #15September 06, 2005, 07:50:58 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 07:50:58 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, I too cannot wait to install the turbo, as I've been looking for another suitable VGT for years.  It should sound pretty crazy as well, from the interesting aero design of the turbine wheel, and the map width enhanced/ported shroud compressor housing.  The goals of the project are much, much more power potential, better fuel economy from decreased pumping losses and proper load dependant boost pressure.

lord_verminaard, when I was buying the turbo, I selected the geometry control to be pneumatic, and the titanium compressor wheel.  They have several options with this being another http://www.holset.co.uk/files/2_5_1_7-actuation%20and%20sensor%20systems.php  With my previous experience with VGT turbos, controlling this one should be easy, especially with the shaft rpm feedback.

Jake is right, this is an inline 6 cylinder, 2.4L engine in a Volvo 240 chassis.

Reply #16September 06, 2005, 04:29:50 pm

gratefuljoe

• User+

New pump
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 04:29:50 pm »
can't wait to see some pics!!!!

Are all 240's a solid rear axle setup?  Or are there models with IRS?

Reply #17September 12, 2005, 07:47:47 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 07:47:47 am »
There is are a few videos of the car doing a burnout with the old IP.  I will see if I can find where they are hosted.

As far as I am aware, 240s came with a 1030 or 1031 (turbos, etc) dana 30 solid, 4 link rear axle with LSD as an option.  Many LSDs will fit this rear, and are available inexpensively.  It appears to work fine for drag, the track, or even rally racing.

IRS was available on 760s ( I think), 780s (again I think), and a few other models.  

In addition, due to the torque characteristics of an inline 6 (the torque output never falls to zero, unlike a 4 cylinder), the motor is very friendly to the transmission and rear end.

Reply #18September 12, 2005, 11:04:31 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 11:04:31 am »
OK, I found one:

http://www.chesh.co.uk/moviefiles/244burnout.mpg  

You might need to download an mpeg2 codec, or a codec pack.

Reply #19September 28, 2005, 09:04:33 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:33 am »
Just a quick update:

Things are going really well with the pump, and I really wish I did this years ago!  Best mileage so far was 51.6 MPG, and the worst compared with the old pump, well I did not measure this yet, but I am sure it is possible, since the potential fuel delivery is so much higher.  I've also added a fuel cooler, just in case, which seems to dump a nice amount of heat on longish trips.  For the winter I may bypass it, depending on the measured temperature differential.

The Holset; well I am trying to find the best way to fit it, as it is not a trivial matter.  The compressor housing is a bit larger than a large frame Garrett H housing which is over 10" in diameter, and the turbine housing is just as large.  The mass is about 60 lbs.  Hopefully, I can figure out something soon, as I really want to see what the motor will do on the street, and I might schedule a dyno session.  

In the interim, I have a 3K K29 ready to roll, that I will try out hopefully this week if I have time.  I bought it new, and when I tried it last year I could only develop ~18psit, wastegate closed fully.  This is due to the very large turbine a/r and turbine wheel.  Both allow for good mass flow and of course whp.  I forget the actual major and minor wheel diameters, but I know that both the compressor and turbine wheel majors are over 3".  I will measure them before the turbo is installed.  It will be interesting now to see how much boost the turbo will develop with the increase in fuel  :twisted: and the power.

Reply #20September 28, 2005, 09:15:14 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
New pump
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 09:15:14 am »
I just noticed that the stock D24T came with a 10mm plunger.  So did you go to an 11mm or a 12mm?  :)  You're getting me excited to try out a 10mm plunger in my 1.6lTD.

I'd figure that a larger plunger would need less advance than a smaller plunger.  Is that what you found?

Also, do you have a baseline mileage figure with the old pump for comparison?

thanks much for the update!

PS - it sounds like that holset has about the same mounting requirements as a large subwoofer.  :lol:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #21September 30, 2005, 10:38:09 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 10:38:09 am »
Yup, the d24 turbo, na, auto all came with the 10mm plunger.  I'm pretty sure I'm using a 14mm.

I agree, the larger plunger should give more advance, if you keep the injectors and other variables constant.  I changed too many things to be able to give an accurate answer, especially the cam plate, which is nice and aggressive.  What I do notice is that for a given change in pump angle, the resulting change in timing is greater than it was with the stock pump.  Also, the mileage before was in the mid to low 40s.

I had a bit of time the other day, and I slapped on the K29.  I measured the turbine wheel with my new digital caliper (minor = 65.4, major = 75.7, trim = 75), and found it to be larger than a P trim t4 wheel.  I did not have a chance to measure the compressor wheel’s major axis, but the compressor minor is about 61mm.  If I remember right, the major is about 80mm measured using a meter stick.  I have no idea what the a/r is for the turbine housing, but it is nearly as large in diameter as a TO4E compressor housing is (~8").  Also, whilst changing the turbo, I think there might be a way after all to fit a VGT turbo.  I have another VGT which is an IHI G8V that is good for ~1000hp, just like the Holset, and has a slightly smaller overall diameter compared to the Holset.

The exhaust sound pressure level is higher as expected with the larger turbine wheel and housing, but it sounds fantastic.  At around, and above 4K rpms, there is a veritable melody coming from the exhaust.  Also, the power band has shifted about a thousand rpms up, which is fine with me.  When the turbo starts to come online, it is insane.  

I only really had time for a quick test last night, but I was easily able to hit 30 psi (previous max was 18 before the pump) where I let off, for my boost gauge only goes to 30 psi.  I did not even floor it.  I got wheelspin at 70mph, and before I knew it I was going 90+ mph, so it is safe to say with that little test the car is much faster.  Now, if only I had the VGT on there I would should have better bottom end than the stock turbo, better midrange, and way more top end potential than the K29!  More testing to come including a preturbine pressure test.

Reply #22September 30, 2005, 10:54:07 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
New pump
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 10:54:07 am »
Awesome!  Great report.  What are you doing for head gasket and pistons?  You using stock in this area?

Looking forward to hearing what this baby is capable of. :twisted:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #23September 30, 2005, 11:45:26 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

New pump
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 11:45:26 am »
Quote from: "2383 GTD"
I got wheelspin at 70mph

Now that's what I'm talkin about!  :shock: :twisted:
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #24October 13, 2005, 10:15:16 am

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 10:15:16 am »
Awesome! Great report. What are you doing for head gasket and pistons? You using stock in this area?
Looking forward to hearing what this baby is capable of.  

Thanks Jake, I've been thoroughly enjoying the larger turbo, and I actually have had a few good races with it (more on that in another section).  The head gasket is stainless steel, and the pistons are coated German Mahle's.  Around town it is very chill, and with a downshift there is excellent power.  On the highway, it is a beast  :twisted: and this turbo sounds crazy at 30 psi.  Something to note, 30 psi on a t3 != 30 psi with a K29.  I really wonder how much mass flow the engine sees now  :shock:

Quote from: "DVST8R"
Quote from: "2383 GTD"
I got wheel spin at 70mph

Now that's what I'm talkin about!  :shock: :twisted:

Its pretty crazy.  Also, there have been a few occasions, where I've had to watch it around bends, not even turns, just slight bends in the road.  If the wheels are not pointed totally straight, you are going sideways, and in a hurry.  In the rain, I really stay out of boost, as I am not trying to end up chilling in the trees.  There is more than enough NA mode power with the new injection pump.  I am getting the hang of the power curve, so when the turbo hits, and it hits hard, I can anticipate wheel spin, and back off a bit.  The boost will go from a few psi to 30 in a heartbeat.

I should have a chance soon to measure backpressure, but I imagine it is quite low.  At cruise (70mph) on a flat road, the boost is just less than 1 psi for reference.  With the other turbo it was ~4 psi.  This is with a massive, conical k&n style air filter (over 1 foot in length) and a 4" silencerless exhaust.

Reply #25October 26, 2005, 09:17:16 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

New pump
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:16 pm »
sounds sweet..did you have the stainless head gasket made up or is it stock?...mls gasket?..when you did the pump did you swap injector nozzles?..any pics of the csar now or pics of the engine compartment itself?...
Thanks
deo

Reply #26October 26, 2005, 10:16:14 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

New pump
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 10:16:14 pm »
2383GTD, is that the HX40 turbo? I see on Holset's website that the HX40 appears to be the smallest one with the VGT and Ti compressor wheel options.

I also see that it's rated at 175-350 hp on a 7-10 liter engine. Lessee now, you have a 2.4L engine that can turn up to (I'm guessing) 6000 RPMs. Multiply the RPM times the size and you have equal air flow to a 7.2 liter engine turning 2000 RPMs...just right! Very cool!  8)

I see broken motors in your future!  :lol:  :shock:  :wink:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #27October 29, 2005, 01:43:10 pm

2383 GTD

New pump
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 01:43:10 pm »
Deo, it is a custom head gasket.  The nozzles were swapped a few years ago, with something just a bit larger than the 1930s (i think they are 1930s) that come stock.  I can snap a few of the car, but I will take a lot when the car is finished.  There should be some photos of the motor in the old chassis, and I will see if I can dig them up.

VWRacer, it is an HX55V, that flows 99lbs/min.  The HX40 may be a better size for moderate mods.  However, the turbo was not cheap at all, and I did not want to be limited in the future, and need to buy something larger later.  The turbine housing can really sqeeze the a/r way, way down, so it should be quite responsive, yet have very serious mid and top end power capabilities.  Also, the compressor housing has the anti-surge vents, combined with the Ti compressor (for high temperature loads, and high axial loads) should have a very wide and happy mass flow range.  With the new pump, I have plenty of fuel to drive the Holset :twisted:

Reply #28October 29, 2005, 02:16:52 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

New pump
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 02:16:52 pm »
Geeze, that just sounds evil!  :twisted:

I love it! Keep the reports coming!  :lol:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Fixmyvw.com