Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)  (Read 3661 times)

Reply #15March 04, 2009, 11:27:38 am

myke_w

• Veteran

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 11:27:38 am »
The obvious wear around 3 and 4 seats is troubling. The ugliness near the pre-chambers is a whole different story.

I'd guess you could get a head in nicer shape for the half the money you'd have in trying to fix that.  Even Frank would charge you in the 700 dollar range (based on his TDI head work, which is easier to do) to tear down, weld, cut, reseat, resurface, and do a complete valve job on a head like that IF it's not beyond repair.

And in my opinion, the reason nobody wants frank to fix IDI heads is because they don't want to pay what he would ask to do it.
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #16March 04, 2009, 11:30:39 am

myke_w

• Veteran

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:39 am »
Quote from: "truckinwagen"
it might cause it to be loosened and fall out.

That would also be my primary concern, someone got that head VERY hot with stuck open / leaky injectors in 3 and 4

You'd have to remove the PC, weld, recut , clean, glue and peen the PC's back in to be sure they didnt come loose. :(

Reply #17March 04, 2009, 11:46:32 am

myke_w

• Veteran

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 11:46:32 am »
doh, sorry I obviously haven't had enough caffeine today

Reply #18March 04, 2009, 05:20:44 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 05:20:44 pm »
what do the insides of the pre cups look like?  probably look like *** considering how the heads surface looks
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #19March 04, 2009, 07:08:59 pm

8v-of-fury

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 07:08:59 pm »
Quote from: "Trev0rbr"
what do the insides of the pre cups look like?  probably look like *** considering how the heads surface looks

There nice and smooth like the surface of the pre-cups.

Check for flatness. peen the cups in, pressure test it. Good to go. You gotta understand something here, I'm not going to run a turbo, and I'm not gonna be pumping a crazy amount of fuel in either.. I just want this head because it breathes so much better then the stock 1.6 head :P I want economy not performance

Reply #20March 04, 2009, 08:07:25 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 08:07:25 pm »
Quote from: "arb"
Quote from: "libbybapa"

Hand lapping is accomplished by placing a small amount of valve grinding compound between the valve and seat and using a suction cup tool to rotate the valve in the compound.  It basically works similar to sandpaper and helps the valves to seal completely.

Andrew

Its implied that you remove the cam, lifters, and springs prior to lapping. And, yes, lapping is a very very good idea. I would also be a little concerned about the erosion next to the precombustion cup on that first cylinder - looks like it might affect it, maybe not.

Yes you have to tear it completely down but you have to do that anyway if you want to put new seals on it, I know I would.  If you don't have the tools and aren't sure about it just have the machine shop do it when it's pressure checked, seals aren't that expensive to put on while the head is off. Just don't put a questionable head on and then start suspecting other things that are wrong when you aren't sure about the head first.

Reply #21March 04, 2009, 08:15:22 pm

8v-of-fury

1.9 AAZ Head clean-up =)
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:22 pm »
Quote from: "Rabbit TD"
Just don't put a questionable head on and then start suspecting other things that are wrong when you aren't sure about the head first.

Hey man, this is my first diesel. Its all learning experience the first time around, PITA second time around right? lol So if this head will make the engine run marginally better then I would love to have experience swapping a head! Gotta learn somewhere right? I understand though, the head will never be perfect with the amount of wear it has. If it checks out in every way and i get new seals, and peen the pre-cups in.. It should be fine. When your 19, you do things for the hell of it, something to do. A learning experience like I said. Now if i were 42, full time job, had a wife and three kids and diner to cook... than I wouldn't be doing this for the hell of it. Also if my car goes out of commission for a while, no biggy, i don't rely on it. This won't be for a while anyway.. I want to swap in the N/a in stock form before i do any mods so i can really enjoy them as Tyler says :P

Thnaks for all your guys help! :P Oh, I think you should know, my ENTIRE car is a learning experience :lol:

Jeremy

S-PAutomotive.com