Author Topic: more mTDI pump questions...  (Read 2339 times)

January 29, 2009, 06:07:01 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

more mTDI pump questions...
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:01 am »
Ok, I've read some stuff, searched a fair bit asked some questions and rattled some cages

read some more and still am confused.....

In the first post of the mTDI pump FAQ thread it says there are three basic options

The third and seemingly most simple being a AAZ pump with a 10mm TDI head and camplate

Ace! I have both those pumps in the garage spare! Hurrah the definite solution I was after all this time........  :D

I read on and someone else posts that this combo doesn't really work - my hopes are dashed!  :cry:

Reading on.....

I get to page 3 and there is the most in depth pump build I've ever found, much kudos to the original (french speaking) author but after a few passages i'm confused and it may as well be written in the original French!

As an electronics whizz, I find the electonic setup far less daunting than these pump builds!

going back to the AAZ/10mm TDI combo, I also think I have been told by oldskool rich that the 10mm head needs to run on the AAZ camplate - not the TDI camplate as stated in the FAQ.  :?  :?  :?

What's the answer???  :D

Reply #1January 29, 2009, 03:18:43 pm

Hey

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:43 pm »
the tdi camplate will required other modifications as I explained in detail in the FAQ.

The aaz camplate will required no other modifications (1.6td regulator for a 10mm head), but the car won't be very powerfull. The modification I mentioned will give you even more power than a standard e-tdi 10mm pump.

It may seem complicated, but begin with dismantling a pump, understanding how it works and then, if you have a welder, you will be able to do it yourself.
Jetta 96, VG-mTDi/hybride td, 20psi, IC, 10mm camplate de tdi, .205 et CTN

Reply #2March 03, 2009, 10:47:43 pm

bluemotion

• User+

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:43 pm »
I know what you mean about the "experts" on this forum saying opposite things.  First the AAZ pump with a larger rotor is endorsed, then someone else says that it doesn't work.  

I've seen 2 different kinds of AAZ camplates.  One has the same profile as the TDI, and the other like the 1.6.  In the M-TDI, use the TDI profile, but the pin size has to match the rotor.

Reply #3March 03, 2009, 11:02:05 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:05 pm »
I think if someone here claimed to be an expert at anything people would be all over them like white on rice.  There are quite a few members however that have a good deal of knowledge and express themselves well.  That being said, that does not mean they all agree on the same route to the end goal.  The many different routes make for a broad based learning forum with out the flame thrower approah that is so prevelant in other forums.  I dig it.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP