S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Can you help me interpret my Spruce / VDO EGT?  (Read 3209 times)

March 01, 2009, 03:42:29 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

Can you help me interpret my Spruce / VDO EGT?
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:42:29 pm »
OK, (hopefully) not as stupid a post as you might think at first glance....

I took the GTD's advice, and installed
Spruce Thermocouple in manifold pre-turbo, with VDO cockpit gauge.
I have been watching it for a month, and I really dont know what I am looking for...

I Understand conceptually what my EGT tells me (I think!)
It is the relationship of fuel to air (Like an AFR for a gas car)
The higher the EGT, the more unburned fuel coming out of my exhaust.
I know that at full throttle pull in 5th gear, I will see 1350-1450 as a peak number.

Is that the only time I should be looking at the EGT? (Full throttle pulls)
It also gives me info throughout the rev range (responds to the slightest throttle input), and I have been trying to use that to modulate the smoke pedal (good acceleration happens around 1050-1150)

I suppose the crux of my question is:
What all should I be looking for and when?

Thanks,
hopefully I am not the only dumbass wondering what to look for on my new nifty gauge!
-Brad

Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Reply #1March 01, 2009, 08:18:37 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
Re: Can you help me interpret my Spruce / VDO EGT?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:18:37 pm »
Quote from: "Jettagli16v"

I know that at full throttle pull in 5th gear, I will see 1350-1450 as a peak number.

Is that the only time I should be looking at the EGT? (Full throttle pulls)
It also gives me info throughout the rev range (responds to the slightest throttle input), and I have been trying to use that to modulate the smoke pedal (good acceleration happens around 1050-1150)

I'd say you've figured out exactly what to watch for. :wink:

You now know that you can hit peaks of 1400+ if you thrash it.. .and as Andrew pointed out most people consider that the top end... so if you're make any nozzle or fuel adjustments and you exceed this you'll know to ease off.  Or if you're climbing a grade some day... etc.

You're also learning to watch it during acceleration and the fact that your car has a sweet spot where adding more fuel just drives up the temperature but doesn't make you go faster.  If you were able to watch your tail pipe you might see the exhaust change color... but you don't need to... you have an EGT.

And finally: now that you're learned what you're looking at you can start to make engine adjustments:  fueling, nozzles, intercooler, more boost... and you'll know if you're making your EGTs better or worse.  Boost and/or intercooler will lower your EGTs.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #2March 01, 2009, 10:07:35 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

Can you help me interpret my Spruce / VDO EGT?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:07:35 pm »
The 3" Turbo-back exhaust seemed to help a bit when I am just cruising (55-65mph). Would wrapping this (at least the downpipe) with header wrap increase or decrease EGT?

I really need Headgasket and studs,
intake manifold,
and intercooler or water/methanol
before pushing too much past the current 19psi.

Unless I am incorrect about the above,
I am at an impasse for a week or 2 until I can dump more money.
(I am currently occupied on suspension improvements)

Thanks, guys,
I thought there was more to look at than peak, but i guess not.
Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Fixmyvw.com