S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My subframe is broke, anyone else have a bad VW day?  (Read 2430 times)

February 23, 2009, 08:52:53 pm

Rich_91

• User+

My subframe is broke, anyone else have a bad VW day?
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:53 pm »
:cry:

Today, I was using the hoist at my work to do a much needed front right wheel bearing on my 91 jetta td. Well, thats what it started out to be. After I got started, I started playing with all the different front end components. It needed both outer tie rod ends and both lower ball joints. I was upset, but happy, since doing a big chunk of this now would mean a worry free front end for some time.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. Where the control arm bolts to the subframe...its cracked. Like 40% of the way around. I never noticed this before.

Im not sure what I can do. Welding this doesnt seem like much of an option, a tough spot to do for sure.

Replacing the subframe would be tough too, considering there arent many mk2's left around here, and getting the bolts out of my subframe would be a tough order.

Im hoping I dont have to put the car to rest because of this. Only 310K on her, and she runs like a CHAMP. New brakes all around, lowering springs, good tires, overall a great car (for me anyways, none of my friends / family ever liked it.). Body is a bit rough, l.rear door is bad at the bottom, r.rear door wont open, but we all have our quirks.

Tomorrow, the hunt will be on for a local subframe. Please VW gods, be with me...

My Fleet
91 VW Jetta 1.6td.  310K+  My Daily
90 Dodge Ram 50 2.4 turbo (my toy)  250K+
94 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. 205K+  Another Project!

Reply #1February 24, 2009, 07:37:22 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
My subframe is broke, anyone else have a bad VW day?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:22 am »
They are around. If you have to get one from far away get them to put it on the bus to save on shipping. Good thing you noticed it now rather then when you are driving down the highway at 120
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com