General Information > General

Suggestions for getting the most out of these forums

(1/3) > >>

Vincent Waldon:
Here's some random thoughts, for what they're worth,  on how to get the most out of this fantastic resource:

* Start by reading the  FAQ .  It really is the questions we frequently see, at least 80% of the time.  It’s also the questions we’re all pretty tired of discussing again and again and again!
* No really, read the  FAQ !
* Try the search.  It actually works well.  Given that these are generally older beasts it’s reasonable to start with the assumption that someone else may well have had the same problem you have.
* Add your location in your profile as that is a great aid in finding and suggesting vendors most suitable for you.  There are also geographical differences in engines and trim that may be important.
* Remember to include what engine/year/model you have when you post a question, especially in the General and Troubleshooting section.
* Try to ask specific questions.  “I’m new and want more power” or “why won’t my car start” will likely not get much time and attention.  A much better question is “I’ve read in the FAQ that the boost pin can be rotated for more power, but I don’t understand what that means?”.
* If you’re trying to fix something and need help be sure to tell us what you’ve already done or tried.
* Post back when you've tried something... it helps us all learn.
* Use proper spelling and grammar.  Sloppy posts are hard to read, hard to understand, and for lots of people just not worth the effort.
* Profanity is a big no-no, as is any language or conversation that is disrespectful to race,creed,religion, etc.  This is an inclusive forum for all... some of us even share this stuff with our sons and daughters.  If the conversation would make your kids, significant others, or parents uncomfortable you've probably gone too far.
* Remember that we’re all amateurs here, and no one has a monopoly on the truth.
* If you have an opinion, state it as such.  If you’re not sure… don’t pretend that you are.  If you have nothing new to add to a thread, then consider not adding anything!
* Take a deep breath and reflect before submitting a grumpy post. Conversations will go best if everyone is feeling their best.
* Remember that this is the Internet… no one can see your car, your engine, or the expression on your face.  Describe things as carefully as you can, and remember to be clear if you’re kidding or serious.
* Like most other areas in life the Golden Rule is a great yardstick: treat others the way you want to be treated, and life will be grand!

Vincent Waldon:
Suggestions for the above post welcomed, BTW!!   Like the FAQ I'll add 'em in and delete the originating post to keep things neat.

Just figured we needed a bit of a guide for the new folks to help get them up to speed on the content and culture here... our ranks are growing !!

Vince

Vincent Waldon:
Bump.... some of you guys are forgetting about the profanity section. ;)

Vincent Waldon:

--- Quote from: Vincent Waldon on May 24, 2009, 09:24:18 pm ---Bump.... some of you guys are forgetting about the profanity section. ;)

--- End quote ---

And Tyler and I are tired of being the language police... ;)

Smokey Eddy:
Tyler's comprehensive post in here which links to a series of very useful threads is INVALUABLE.
a similar thread that covered more every day things would also be useful on the wide scale.

have threads linked in there that deal with ... wiring problems or what have you.
am i making sense?
not just "1.9/1.6 builds"
but sort of a more comprehensive directory sort of deal. it would be much more resourceful than sifting through heaps of threads that have the words "light turn solid blinker signal" in them.
If there is a thread that's focused and a common problem is resolved - copy pasta (yes pasta) the link into the thread in the FAQ that has a comprehensive list of general issues & documented fixes in some sort of order/organization

you could have a ...
"fuse & relay" section
"turn signal" section
"gauge cluster"
"upholstery"
"sound system" (if we wanted)
"transmission"

it wouldn't be for upgrades per say but more along the lines of ... "this is how this person fixed this common problem, here it is documented clearly for you to follow if you're experiencing the same problem"
"bumpers"

kind of like an online bentley but it would be written by the people on the forum for the people on the forum
its really late and im reeally tired. Vince, feel free to just delete and disregard this post if it doesn't make any sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version